ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte

Zero. There are 17 Fortune 1000 companies there and it is still a growing, dynamic city. Smart move for the ACC.
Yes, obvious choice. Was just wondering, if they actually paid an outside consulting firm to research this.

Agreed. The City powers-that-be are too reactive, not proactive. By the time they get around to recognizing an infrastructure issue and try to fix it, it’s already too big for what they have in mind. We moved to the Ballantyne area last year, and depending on your timing, it’s either smooth sailing or you’ll find yourself stuck in bumper-2-bumper traffic. That’s almost every neighborhood within 40 miles of Uptown now.
I live here, and disagree. Sure the traffic can be tight, esp if there is an accident, but it's such a great place to live that it is difficult for Char-Meck to keep up with the growth without having Syracuse-like property tax. Tax rates are a third to a half of Syracuse.

Once you get used to the traffic patterns, there's always a way to mitigate the aggravation.

For my $600k house here, I pay $3600/yr in tax.

For my similar house in Syracuse (Camillus), it would be worth $150k and I would pay like $9000/yr for taxes.

Why make a big deal out of moving from Greensboro to Charlotte??

The league Board and officers could’ve just pulled a Pink Floyd and simply stopped going to Greensboro. “Should we go to Greensboro? Are they still part of this band?’ Nope.

And nobody would’ve noticed.

Forward the mail to Charlotte and the areas code for the phones likely wouldn’t change either.

Moving the HC to NYC, that’s a newsworthy move.

Will the basketball tournaments move to Charlotte as well?

Let’s face it, the ACC headquarters was never going to leave the borders of North Carolina.

Let’s face it, the ACC headquarters was never going to leave the borders of North Carolina.
In NYC terms it’s like moving the HC from a walk up in the lower East Side to high rise in mid town, but since it’s still Charlotte, you’re on the 3rd floor above the Chinese restaurant and the foot locker.

NYC, the media capital of the country, would have made a lot of sense. Too much about the conference is already Carolina-centric. It would’ve been good to shift the center of gravity and a statement that the conference represents all of the East Coast. But of course it’s Charlotte. Blah!
There's no way it was going to be NYC - it's too "Yankee" (not the baseball team, either).
I agree that Charlotte is an unexciting city. I lived there for 2 years after graduating SU 1992 to 1994. All I can say about it is it's ok. It's not bad, but it's pretty mundane as far as decent sized cities go. It's kind of soulless. There's no river, no ocean, no mountains, just the convergence of 2 interstate highways and a bunch of sprawl.

I live here, and disagree. Sure the traffic can be tight, esp if there is an accident, but it's such a great place to live that it is difficult for Char-Meck to keep up with the growth without having Syracuse-like property tax. Tax rates are a third to a half of Syracuse.

Once you get used to the traffic patterns, there's always a way to mitigate the aggravation.

For my similar house in Syracuse (Camillus), it would be worth $150k and I would pay like $9000/yr for taxes.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love CLT. Before moving here, I never thought I'd be able to live outside of NY, & certainly not in the South.
But Charlotte is perfect, although it does have its imperfections. And no matter how bad the traffic gets, it doesn't compare to the monstrosity of traffic in the NY metro area.
My only gripe, as a hard-driving go go go NY'er from birth, is the almost languid pace that sometimes happens here. Or as my daughter says- "everyone likes to just "mosey" along, w/out a care in the world". However because of that, I probably added 10 years to my life by moving here! The QC Rocks, no doubt!

Why make a big deal out of moving from Greensboro to Charlotte??

The league Board and officers could’ve just pulled a Pink Floyd and simply stopped going to Greensboro. “Should we go to Greensboro? Are they still part of this band?’ Nope.

And nobody would’ve noticed.

Forward the mail to Charlotte and the areas code for the phones likely wouldn’t change either.

Moving the HC to NYC, that’s a newsworthy move.
Uhhhh, not exactly, to say the least.

Greensboro metro area is about 360,000, an aging, stagnating city, by NC standards. Nice enough, but definitely not a world-class.

Charlotte metro area is like 2.2 million, 6x larger than Greensboro, and thriving. Seven Fortune 500 companies are HQ'd here. We have an NBA team, an NFL team, a gorgeous NASCAR track and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. A three hour drive NW and you are in the middle of the mountains. Three hour drive SE and you are at the beach.

Sorry, but as an ex-Syracuse native, Charlotte is to Greensboro as Greensboro is to Syracuse.

But all that aside - GO ORANGE!

Uhhhh, not exactly, to say the least.

Greensboro metro area is about 360,000, an aging, stagnating city, by NC standards. Nice enough, but definitely not a world-class.

Charlotte metro area is like 2.2 million, 6x larger than Greensboro, and thriving. Seven Fortune 500 companies are HQ'd here. We have an NBA team, an NFL team, a gorgeous NASCAR track and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. A three hour drive NW and you are in the middle of the mountains. Three hour drive SE and you are at the beach.

Sorry, but as an ex-Syracuse native, Charlotte is to Greensboro as Greensboro is to Syracuse.

But all that aside - GO ORANGE!
Take it a step further...Greensboro is to Charlotte, as Syracuse is to NYC. ;)

There's no way it was going to be NYC - it's too "Yankee" (not the baseball team, either).
I agree that Charlotte is an unexciting city. I lived there for 2 years after graduating SU 1992 to 1994. All I can say about it is it's ok. It's not bad, but it's pretty mundane as far as decent sized cities go. It's kind of soulless. There's no river, no ocean, no mountains, just the convergence of 2 interstate highways and a bunch of sprawl.
I "lived" there for about 6 months on a contracting assignment in ~2000. Long time ago, but my recollections...

There are indeed no significant waterways, but there are mountains to be had within driving distance comparable to the Daks (ADR 46r #3151 here) or the Catskills, from SYR. There are some interesting and enjoyable monadnocks in NC and SC along the I-85 corridor.

At the time, I thought that there were a crazy nasty number of people there who smoked. It seemed endemic. That may have changed in the 20 years since I was there.

Plenty of jobs. Depending on your "needs" that may be enough.

Interesting article in the AJC recently, about the Georgia legislature's approach to banking in the 70's. (I live in Alpharetta so that's my angle on the story.) The legislature passed a law (laws?) to favor the distributed, local banking model, to the detriment of "big banks". That pushed the big banks out, and they went to Charlotte. Atlanta could have been the banking capital of the USA now but for the choices of the state government. As it stands, the plumbing that keeps the banking ecosystem alive resides in Atlanta, so while we don't have the customer-facing banks, we control the conduits of banking that make the system work. Weird how that evolves.

I'm an addicted classical music fan. Charlotte's not going to help there. But if NASCAR is your thing, you're set.

Charlotte makes sense for a conference whose DNA is based in North Carolina. Atlanta is an objectively better location on any metric you can pick, but it doesn't make sense for the conference.

I wish there were a conference that could have NYC as its headquarters. Even in my wildest dreams of a Big 10 East conference that encompasses the northeast, the logical place for conference HQ is probably Chicago.

So... Charlotte is a fine place for conference HQ. A very fine meh choice for a conference with a meh vision, stuck in a provincial past.

I "lived" there for about 6 months on a contracting assignment in ~2000. Long time ago, but my recollections...

There are indeed no significant waterways, but there are mountains to be had within driving distance comparable to the Daks (ADR 46r #3151 here) or the Catskills, from SYR. There are some interesting and enjoyable monadnocks in NC and SC along the I-85 corridor.

At the time, I thought that there were a crazy nasty number of people there who smoked. It seemed endemic. That may have changed in the 20 years since I was there.

Plenty of jobs. Depending on your "needs" that may be enough.

Interesting article in the AJC recently, about the Georgia legislature's approach to banking in the 70's. (I live in Alpharetta so that's my angle on the story.) The legislature passed a law (laws?) to favor the distributed, local banking model, to the detriment of "big banks". That pushed the big banks out, and they went to Charlotte. Atlanta could have been the banking capital of the USA now but for the choices of the state government. As it stands, the plumbing that keeps the banking ecosystem alive resides in Atlanta, so while we don't have the customer-facing banks, we control the conduits of banking that make the system work. Weird how that evolves.

I'm an addicted classical music fan. Charlotte's not going to help there. But if NASCAR is your thing, you're set.

Charlotte makes sense for a conference whose DNA is based in North Carolina. Atlanta is an objectively better location on any metric you can pick, but it doesn't make sense for the conference.

I wish there were a conference that could have NYC as its headquarters. Even in my wildest dreams of a Big 10 East conference that encompasses the northeast, the logical place for conference HQ is probably Chicago.

So... Charlotte is a fine place for conference HQ. A very fine meh choice for a conference with a meh vision, stuck in a provincial past.

Even DC or suburban VA would be nice. It would still be "Southern-enough", but a bigger city with great travel options.

LOL - A ‘bit‘ of an overstatement on taxes for Camillus. My elderly cousin actually has a ranch home in Camillus assessed for $154,700 and $4,015 in taxes (but minus $1451 from star and enhanced star) or $2564 owed this year for both her County and school property taxes. If she had earned more than $90,500 her star exemption would lower to $668 thus a $3347 tax payment. No way a $150k home here has taxes anywhere near $9k. Are taxes higher , definitely, no argument there. $9k is a big exaggeration though. Sorry , I know this is all entirely off topic.

I haven't read the thread, so if I am repeating someone else, I apologize. But the first thing that occurred to me was, off shore?

I'm surprised at all the talk about where the conference is headquartered as if it has anything to do with how successful the conference is. The SEC is headquartered in Birmingham. If some major city was going to make them better they could be in Atlanta. Conversely, the PAC should then be killing it with their headquarters in LA. All that matters is the success of the teams on field/court.

I'm surprised at all the talk about where the conference is headquartered as if it has anything to do with how successful the conference is. The SEC is headquartered in Birmingham. If some major city was going to make them better they could be in Atlanta. Conversely, the PAC should then be killing it with their headquarters in LA. All that matters is the success of the teams on field/court.
Thank you! I couldn't even tell you where the major conferences were headquartered until you mentioned it. Seems like just another reason to rehash the north south thing that never seems to drop on this board.

LOL - A ‘bit‘ of an overstatement on taxes for Camillus. My elderly cousin actually has a ranch home in Camillus assessed for $154,700 and $4,015 in taxes (but minus $1451 from star and enhanced star) or $2564 owed this year for both her County and school property taxes. If she had earned more than $90,500 her star exemption would lower to $668 thus a $3347 tax payment. No way a $150k home here has taxes anywhere near $9k. Are taxes higher , definitely, no argument there. $9k is a big exaggeration though. Sorry , I know this is all entirely off topic.

I'd rather live in Camillus and pay the taxes. Charlotte blows. Just my opinion and to each his own etc etc etc

Hey, if you didn't, I would have!

I’m in Charlotte right now! :confused: My son and granddaughter are here.I find the traffic to be overwhelming but I am learning to negotiate it somewhat. I love to drive but am anxious as I try to get from Point A to Point B. Some of that is my age. I feel very glad to live in the “easy” city of Syracuse.

I am in Charlotte and it looks like it's already been decided for here. Just saw something in our local news.