ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Relocating it's Headquarters to Charlotte

Sorry, but as an ex-Syracuse native, Charlotte is to Greensboro as Greensboro is to Syracuse.

Not sure I get that statement. Sure, Greensboro has double the population of Syracuse (295,000 to 143,000), but Greensboro also has more than 5 times the land mass as Syracuse (136 square miles to 25 square miles). That'd be like including Camillus, Liverpool, Clay, Cicero, Dewitt, Fayetteville, Manlius and more inside the Syracuse city limits and part of their population count. On a fairer comparison, the Syracuse Metro area population is 675,000 to Greensboro's 775,000 (which includes High Point's 100,000+ population - the next closest town in population in the Syracuse metro area is Clay with 58,000 people).

I said all of that to say - who cares where the ACC headquarters is actually located? It affects pretty much no one besides school AD's and Presidents and the ACC staff themselves.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love CLT. Before moving here, I never thought I'd be able to live outside of NY, & certainly not in the South.
But Charlotte is perfect, although it does have its imperfections. And no matter how bad the traffic gets, it doesn't compare to the monstrosity of traffic in the NY metro area.
My only gripe, as a hard-driving go go go NY'er from birth, is the almost languid pace that sometimes happens here. Or as my daughter says- "everyone likes to just "mosey" along, w/out a care in the world". However because of that, I probably added 10 years to my life by moving here! The QC Rocks, no doubt!
There's truth here. Charlotte is a great place to live, as the slogan says "We've got a lot".
However, the City isn't exactly progressive with it's forethoughts into planning and infrastructure. Lot's and lots of examples to apply here. But, I think it means we'll have the ACC tourney here every few years which is never a bad thing for those of us who live here.

Not sure I get that statement. Sure, Greensboro has double the population of Syracuse (295,000 to 143,000), but Greensboro also has more than 5 times the land mass as Syracuse (136 square miles to 25 square miles). That'd be like including Camillus, Liverpool, Clay, Cicero, Dewitt, Fayetteville, Manlius and more inside the Syracuse city limits and part of their population count. On a fairer comparison, the Syracuse Metro area population is 675,000 to Greensboro's 775,000 (which includes High Point's 100,000+ population - the next closest town in population in the Syracuse metro area is Clay with 58,000 people).

I said all of that to say - who cares where the ACC headquarters is actually located? It affects pretty much no one besides school AD's and Presidents and the ACC staff themselves.
Exactly. I don’t give a rats arse where the ACC sets up shop. The fact that it’s in NC is perfectly predictable. That was never going to change.

I live here, and disagree. Sure the traffic can be tight, esp if there is an accident, but it's such a great place to live that it is difficult for Char-Meck to keep up with the growth without having Syracuse-like property tax. Tax rates are a third to a half of Syracuse.

Once you get used to the traffic patterns, there's always a way to mitigate the aggravation.

For my $600k house here, I pay $3600/yr in tax.

For my similar house in Syracuse (Camillus), it would be worth $150k and I would pay like $9000/yr for taxes.
335,000. Taxes are 11,000 dollars a year in Buffalo area.

Easy to get to, much better cost of living, and lots of golf for the power brokers to play.
The bolded is really what matters. Plus, it's the home of the conference's TV network. The idea of putting it anywhere else was kinda silly. It was always going to be in Charlotte.

Now we can resume not caring where a conference HQ is, because it means absolutely nothing unless you work there or have to travel there for meetings.

Will the basketball tournaments move to Charlotte as well?
We already play in Charlotte. It's part of "the rotation". While it's in the middle of nowhere, the arena in Greensboro is actually slightly larger than the one in Charlotte (22K vs. 20K).

We already play in Charlotte. It's part of "the rotation". While it's in the middle of nowhere, the arena in Greensboro is actually slightly larger than the one in Charlotte (22K vs. 20K).

Yeah but 15 schools throws off the hotel thing, multiple schools sharing hotels seems lame.

Yeah but 15 schools throws off the hotel thing, multiple schools sharing hotels seems lame.
Definitely agree. There are few compliments about having the tournament in Greensboro on our board. The "middle of nowhere" aspect overrides the couple of extra seats IMO. I'd have no problem if the ACC never went back there for the Tournament. I'd make the rotation NYC (Brooklyn until MSG becomes available on favorable terms), DC, Charlotte, and Atlanta.

Last edited:
I live here, and disagree. Sure the traffic can be tight, esp if there is an accident, but it's such a great place to live that it is difficult for Char-Meck to keep up with the growth without having Syracuse-like property tax. Tax rates are a third to a half of Syracuse.

Once you get used to the traffic patterns, there's always a way to mitigate the aggravation.

For my $600k house here, I pay $3600/yr in tax.

For my similar house in Syracuse (Camillus), it would be worth $150k and I would pay like $9000/yr for taxes.

Your point is correct, but the numbers may be off. That does not seem accurate $9,000 taxes on $150,000. I just looked up a house assessed at $278,000 in Camillus and it’s taxes were $10,000. Still way more than what you are paying though. Also real estate prices have jumped in the Syracuse suburbs the past 2 years, so that $150k house is prob now worth $200k and your $600k house might even hit $250-$300k, depending on its size, up here now, which would bring the taxes to more than the $9,000 in your example.

LOL - A ‘bit‘ of an overstatement on taxes for Camillus. My elderly cousin actually has a ranch home in Camillus assessed for $154,700 and $4,015 in taxes (but minus $1451 from star and enhanced star) or $2564 owed this year for both her County and school property taxes. If she had earned more than $90,500 her star exemption would lower to $668 thus a $3347 tax payment. No way a $150k home here has taxes anywhere near $9k. Are taxes higher , definitely, no argument there. $9k is a big exaggeration though. Sorry , I know this is all entirely off topic.
Here's an excerpt from Zillow for a house in my old neighborhood:

1663772824557.png

For some reason it stops at 2017, but I can't imagine taxes went down.

Definitely agree. There are few compliments about having the tournament in Greensboro on our board. The "middle of nowhere" aspect overrides the couple of extra seats IMO. I'd have no problem if the ACC never went back there for the Tournament. I'd make the rotation NYC (Brooklyn until MSG becomes available on favorable terms), DC, Charlotte, and Atlanta.
Does it really matter? I suspect I will never ever see an ACZc tournament in person. We used to go to the BE tournament all the time in NYC. Even when the BE was bloated. I just don’t see ACC tournament tix as being accessible to the “average fan.”

Does it really matter? I suspect I will never ever see an ACZc tournament in person. We used to go to the BE tournament all the time in NYC. Even when the BE was bloated. I just don’t see ACC tournament tix as being accessible to the “average fan.”
That's because virtually all the tickets got to the schools and the donors snap them up. (It's a huge reason why many of them are donors in the first place.) The lack of a public sale goes way, way back.

That's because virtually all the tickets got to the schools and the donors snap them up. (It's a huge reason why many of them are donors in the first place.) The lack of a public sale goes way, way back.
The ACC appears to me to be more corporate culture.

Re taxes, you get what you pay for. I'd much rather send my kids to West Genny than any public school in the Charlotte area.
Perhaps you would, but there are many excellent public schools in the 'burbs here as well.

But I can say with virtual certainty that, on balance, the public schools in Charlotte itself >>>>>>>>>> the public schools in Syracuse itself.

Here's an excerpt from Zillow for a house in my old neighborhood:

View attachment 220231
For some reason it stops at 2017, but I can't imagine taxes went down.
Look it up on ongov.net under the exact address for property assessments where you can view the exact tax bills attached for the address. The actual tax assessment is probably not reflective of the true value either. 80% of the towns in Onondaga County assess at only a percentage of the home value. Each town develops their own system including assessments and rates that aren’t comparable between towns less states. Some towns reassess every year, others wait years.

I "lived" there for about 6 months on a contracting assignment in ~2000. Long time ago, but my recollections...

There are indeed no significant waterways, but there are mountains to be had within driving distance comparable to the Daks (ADR 46r #3151 here) or the Catskills, from SYR. There are some interesting and enjoyable monadnocks in NC and SC along the I-85 corridor.

At the time, I thought that there were a crazy nasty number of people there who smoked. It seemed endemic. That may have changed in the 20 years since I was there.

Plenty of jobs. Depending on your "needs" that may be enough.

Interesting article in the AJC recently, about the Georgia legislature's approach to banking in the 70's. (I live in Alpharetta so that's my angle on the story.) The legislature passed a law (laws?) to favor the distributed, local banking model, to the detriment of "big banks". That pushed the big banks out, and they went to Charlotte. Atlanta could have been the banking capital of the USA now but for the choices of the state government. As it stands, the plumbing that keeps the banking ecosystem alive resides in Atlanta, so while we don't have the customer-facing banks, we control the conduits of banking that make the system work. Weird how that evolves.

I'm an addicted classical music fan. Charlotte's not going to help there. But if NASCAR is your thing, you're set.

Charlotte makes sense for a conference whose DNA is based in North Carolina. Atlanta is an objectively better location on any metric you can pick, but it doesn't make sense for the conference.

I wish there were a conference that could have NYC as its headquarters. Even in my wildest dreams of a Big 10 East conference that encompasses the northeast, the logical place for conference HQ is probably Chicago.

So... Charlotte is a fine place for conference HQ. A very fine meh choice for a conference with a meh vision, stuck in a provincial past.
Suffice it to say Charlotte has changed significantly since you've been here. I pretty much disagree with just about everything negative you said about it.

Can't the same be said of all the major conferences, and the NCAA itself?
Maybe. All I’m saying is the BE wasn’t. I never missed a BE tournament (edit: when I wanted to go to one), even if I bought them from scalpers. You could always get them.

Last edited:
Ideally the HQ would be where all the conference championships take place. I rather have the BBall in Charlotte every year than rotating all over the place. I still think DC was the best option. It is the only other city that was also drivable for half the league, and every school has alumni there. It is also a bigger stage. It is also more neutral than playing in the state that has 4 ACC schools.

Edit

To expand on this...

Charlotte
Football: Bank Of America Stadium 75k
Basketball: Spectrum Center 19k
Baseball: Truist Field 10k
Soccer/Lax: American Legion Memorial Stadium 10.5k

DC
Football: FeEx Field 68k
Basketball: Capital One Arena 20k
Baseball: National Park 41k
Soccer/Lax: Audi Field 20k

I would think kids rather play in those DC locations. Advertisers too.

Last edited: