ACC spring meetings are happening this week | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC spring meetings are happening this week

It will be interesting to see if Saban gets his way. I forgot about Wake-Vandy. That could mean the whole SEC East with an ACC opponent except Tennessee and Missouri. I can imagine Texas A&M wanting an annual game with Texas again as well as Missouri vs Kansas. There will be those in the SEC wanting to stay at 8 games, so it will be interesting to see if the SEC West can push it to 9 games.

The Big Ten doesn't have this issue with the exceptions of Iowa with Iowa State and Penn State with Pitt. Penn State gave that series up for a while, but it looks like they want it back now that Paterno is gone.
Question for you Btstimpy do UVA fans prefer playing Louisville or Boston College as their protected cross-over opponent when Louisville joins. Louisville would be the better football program, but Boston College is similar to UVA academically and would be a good road trip every other year?

I think the SEC will go to 9 games because LSU, Alabama want to play Georgia, Florida, South Carolina more.

Question for you Btstimpy do UVA fans prefer playing Louisville or Boston College as their protected cross-over opponent when Louisville joins. Louisville would be the better football program, but Boston College is similar to UVA academically and would be a good road trip every other year?

I think the SEC will go to 9 games because LSU, Alabama want to play Georgia, Florida, South Carolina more.

UVA has no history with either to speak of. We've only played Louisville 2 times ever in the 80s, and we've only played Boston College about 5 or 6 times. I'd probably go with Boston College for the road trips to Boston, but neither will really generate much excitement for UVA fans in football like a historic rivalry from the original ACC would. There aren't fans from either in the local sports bars in Richmond to spar with on a fall Saturday afternoon even. Most of the rest of the ACC is represented there BTW including Syracuse. But when someone you've played 77 times walks away, this kind of choice is what you're left with sometimes.

I think at this point they have us with Louisville who is replacing Maryland. All of our primary historic rivalries are currently in the Division with us. The crossover game will just be treated like another division game with a new team by the fans if it is one of these two as long as the division maintains most of its makeup. It would be an opportunity to build a new rivalry. I'd be surprised if they gave us Boston College though after they have spent so much time building a rivalry with Virginia Tech.

UVA has no history with either to speak of. We've only played Louisville 2 times ever in the 80s, and we've only played Boston College about 5 or 6 times. I'd probably go with Boston College for the road trips to Boston, but neither will really generate much excitement for UVA fans in football like a historic rivalry from the original ACC would. There aren't fans from either in the local sports bars in Richmond to spar with on a fall Saturday afternoon even. Most of the rest of the ACC is represented there BTW including Syracuse. But when someone you've played 77 times walks away, this kind of choice is what you're left with sometimes.

I think at this point they have us with Louisville who is replacing Maryland. All of our primary historic rivalries are currently in the Division with us. The crossover game will just be treated like another division game with a new team by the fans if it is one of these two as long as the division maintains most of its makeup. It would be an opportunity to build a new rivalry. I'd be surprised if they gave us Boston College though after they have spent so much time building a rivalry with Virginia Tech.
Understand, but Louisville is going to be a football addition and VPI-Louisville will have some TV value IMO. This type of game could be a consistent ESPN Thursday night game as VPI-UL both like those night games. If I was Swofford I would make this switch just to get a game each year for which TV would be interested in. VPI-BC isn't really a rivalry game its just a game both schools have played each year since the Big East Football days. I went to BC for secondary school and they don't consider VPI a rivalry. They like Syracuse don't have any real football rivalries except Notre Dame in their eyes. BC-UVA are similar type universities and I bet UVA has some Northeast alums to make that game appealing over Louisville. The ACC needs to think about generating good TV matchups and I think both UVA-BC and VPI-UL would be better than VPI-BC and UVA-UL FWIW.

I'm growing to dislike the zipper alignment more and more. It's stupid when every AFC and NFC team play each other more often than ACC Atlantic teams play most ACC Coastal teams.

I'm growing to dislike the zipper alignment more and more. It's stupid when every AFC and NFC team play each other more often than ACC Atlantic teams play most ACC Coastal teams.
yeah, how about teams with rivills(you know why), play the rivills(again, too funny)...others, just go in a round robin.

that would speed up the rotation and keep everyone happy. and if flast or miami say 'whaaa, whaaa we dont see everybody enough'...well then tough shlit, dont play each other every year.

Oh Lord

I can you flat out tell you of the 2 divisional realignments being discussed that I have been privy too none of them are radical or would NOT follow the zipper alignment. Both of them are minor changes to alleviate a couple of football schools and wouldn't hurt Syracuse either way, but benefit us actually.

I can you flat out tell you of the 2 divisional realignments being discussed that I have been privy too none of them are radical or would follow the zipper alignment. Both of them are minor changes to alleviate a couple of football schools and wouldn't hurt Syracuse either way, but benefit us actually.

Attractiveness of schedule or less schedule strength in-division?

I can you flat out tell you of the 2 divisional realignments being discussed that I have been privy too none of them are radical or would follow the zipper alignment. Both of them are minor changes to alleviate a couple of football schools and wouldn't hurt Syracuse either way, but benefit us actually.

I don't follow. If a realignment is not radical then it by definition will follow a zipper format, because that's the format being used right now.

The problem I have with the alignment is that it necessitates playing a permanent cross-division opponent to maintain a crucial rivalry. And since the conference refused to expand to 9 games, everyone is stuck playing 6 of the 7 cross-division teams once every six years. That's just stupid.

Teams from the AFC East will play every team from the NFC West 3 times in 12 years while Syracuse will play 6 of the 7 ACC Coastal teams twice every 12 years. It makes no sense.

It won't happen apparently, but I really think you scrap the notion of cross-division games and just align by geography and rivalry. Put the 3 northern teams + 4 southern teams in one division, and the 7 mid-atlantic teams in another, and rotate through the cross-division opponents evenly.

I don't follow. If a realignment is not radical then it by definition will follow a zipper format, because that's the format being used right now.

The problem I have with the alignment is that it necessitates playing a permanent cross-division opponent to maintain a crucial rivalry. And since the conference refused to expand to 9 games, everyone is stuck playing 6 of the 7 cross-division teams once every six years. That's just stupid.

Teams from the AFC East will play every team from the NFC West 3 times in 12 years while Syracuse will play 6 of the 7 ACC Coastal teams twice every 12 years. It makes no sense.

It won't happen apparently, but I really think you scrap the notion of cross-division games and just align by geography and rivalry. Put the 3 northern teams + 4 southern teams in one division, and the 7 mid-atlantic teams in another, and rotate through the cross-division opponents evenly.
LOL I just re-read what I wrote and I meant NOT follow the zipper format.

i hear ya scooch, but the NFL basically picked the schedule out of a hat till 2002, or about 80 years.

so lets give the ACC some time, they already botched the 9 game thing, let them botch this too. theyll eventually come to their senses and get this thing correct.

unfortunetly right now, we are all saying 'dont touch!! hot'...as they inevitably reach for the tea pot on the stove.

i hear ya scooch, but the NFL basically picked the schedule out of a hat till 2002, or about 80 years.

so lets give the ACC some time, they already botched the 9 game thing, let thim botch this too. theyll get this thing correct eventually.

I'm pushing 40, I don't have enough time for them to get this right. ;)

So what are the rivalries that are must-haves? Off the top of my head:

Miami-Florida St
UVA-VaTech
UNC-UVA
UNC-NC State
Clemson-GaTech

What else? Does UNC have to play Duke in football every year?

Seems like there aren't so many must-have rivalries that they can't all be placed in the same divisions.

Miami-Florida St
UVA-VaTech
UNC-UVA
UNC-NC State
Clemson-GaTech

Seems like there aren't so many must-have rivalries that they can't all be placed in the same divisions.

They play each other for a bell every year, so yeah.

Miami-Florida St
UVA-VaTech
UNC-UVA
UNC-NC State
Clemson-GaTech

Agree, figure out who can't live without playing with who. Let everyone submit their A and B choice (let them add C and D or more if it makes them feel like they have a voice in the matter). Analyze the data, try to get teams in the division with their A choice, and then eliminate crossovers.

Would be even better if you didn't have to play everyone in your division, but of course, the NCAA needs to protect the interests of the student athlete, so you have to in order to have a Conference Championship game.

Agree, figure out who can't live without playing with who. Let everyone submit their A and B choice (let them add C and D or more if it makes them feel like they have a voice in the matter). Analyze the data, try to get teams in the division with their A choice, and then eliminate crossovers.

Would be even better if you didn't have to play everyone in your division, but of course, the NCAA needs to protect the interests of the student athlete, so you have to in order to have a Conference Championship game.
I think the best divisions would be

Boston College
Florida State
Louisville
Miami(Fl)
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia Tech

North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Virginia
Georgia Tech

Permanent cross-overs only two.
Florida State-Clemson
Virginia Tech-Virginia

However, this will never happen though.

I think the best divisions would be

Boston College
Florida State
Louisville
Miami(Fl)
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia Tech

North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Virginia
Georgia Tech

Permanent cross-overs only two.
Florida State-Clemson
Virginia Tech-Virginia

However, this will never happen though.

Swap VT and GT, eliminate crossovers, and I think you've got it. It has balance, it preserves most important rivalries. I think FSU would be ok losing Clemson, knowing that can be a likely championship game any given year.

Swap VT and GT, eliminate crossovers, and I think you've got it. It has balance, it preserves most important rivalries. I think FSU would be ok losing Clemson, knowing that can be a likely championship game any given year.
FSU and Miami will never be in the same division.

Why not? The only reason I can think of is that the schools in the other division would make too much noise about playing too little in the state of Florida.

If FSU and Miami have to be separate divisions, and FSU and Miami have to play each other every year, then it limits the options.

LSU & Bama and Fla & Georgia say 'silly little ACC wont put rival teams in the same divsion. bwah-ha-haaa'
Oh Lord

Why not? The only reason I can think of is that the schools in the other division would make too much noise about playing too little in the state of Florida.

If FSU and Miami have to be separate divisions, and FSU and Miami have to play each other every year, then it limits the options.

that's the reason both divisions want to play in florida at least once every 2 years.

that's the reason both divisions want to play in florida at least once every 2 years.
seriously, they have to be split. but 9 games is a must.

18 for the NFL too, but thats a different topic for a different thread...

florida state---------------------------------------Clemson
Miami----------------------------------------------Virginia tech
Georgia tech---------------------------------------Virginia
Louisville------------------------------------------Syracuse
Pittsburgh-----------------------------------------Boston College
Duke-----------------------------------------------North Carolina
Wake forest---------------------------------------NC State

I think these 2 have pretty good balance

florida state---------------------------------------Clemson
Miami----------------------------------------------Virginia tech
Georgia tech---------------------------------------Virginia
Louisville------------------------------------------Syracuse
Pittsburgh-----------------------------------------Boston College
Duke-----------------------------------------------North Carolina
Wake forest---------------------------------------NC State

I think these 2 have pretty good balance
NC State would b!tch about no Florida State, but this is really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom