florida state---------------------------------------Clemson
Miami----------------------------------------------Virginia tech
Georgia tech---------------------------------------Virginia
Louisville------------------------------------------Syracuse
Pittsburgh-----------------------------------------Boston College
Duke-----------------------------------------------North Carolina
Wake forest---------------------------------------NC State

I think these 2 have pretty good balance
For recruiting purposes, you need to have games in Florida.

So what are the rivalries that are must-haves? Off the top of my head:

Miami-Florida St
UVA-VaTech
UNC-UVA
UNC-NC State
Clemson-GaTech

What else? Does UNC have to play Duke in football every year?

Seems like there aren't so many must-have rivalries that they can't all be placed in the same divisions.

Some additional include:

NCState-Clemson (Textile Bowl)
Wake Forest - Duke
UNC - Duke

after this you get into what's driving the whole change request, and these are:

Florida State - Georgia Tech
Florida State - Clemson

Just an FYI these games need to be played each year.

NC State-North Carolina
Florida State- Miami
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech-Clemson
Clemson-Florida State
Virginia Tech-Miami
Georgia Tech-North Carolina
Virginia-North Carolina

ALL OF THESE GAMES EXIST NOW AND HAVE TO CONTINUE in ANY realignment just remember that.
Additional games that aren't necessary but are smart to schedule
Duke-North Carolina
NC State-Clemson/Florida State
Duke-Wake Forest

When you re-create divisions remember these games.

Some additional include:

NCState-Clemson (Textile Bowl)
Wake Forest - Duke
UNC - Duke

after this you get into what's driving the whole change request, and these are:

Florida State - Clemson
You literally just beat me by a minute.

Just an FYI these games need to be played each year.

NC State-North Carolina
Florida State- Miami
Virginia-Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech-Clemson
Clemson-Florida State
Virginia Tech-Miami
Georgia Tech-North Carolina
Virginia-North Carolina

ALL OF THESE GAMES EXIST NOW AND HAVE TO CONTINUE in ANY realignment just remember that.
Additional games that aren't necessary but are smart to schedule
Duke-North Carolina
NC State-Clemson/Florida State
Duke-Wake Forest

When you re-create divisions remember these games.
I notice that thus far you don't have the Orangemen included in the "must play" category. That will happen as soon as we beat one of those giants on their home court and then they will hate us equally.

Understand, but Louisville is going to be a football addition and VPI-Louisville will have some TV value IMO. This type of game could be a consistent ESPN Thursday night game as VPI-UL both like those night games. If I was Swofford I would make this switch just to get a game each year for which TV would be interested in. VPI-BC isn't really a rivalry game its just a game both schools have played each year since the Big East Football days. I went to BC for secondary school and they don't consider VPI a rivalry. They like Syracuse don't have any real football rivalries except Notre Dame in their eyes. BC-UVA are similar type universities and I bet UVA has some Northeast alums to make that game appealing over Louisville. The ACC needs to think about generating good TV matchups and I think both UVA-BC and VPI-UL would be better than VPI-BC and UVA-UL FWIW.

I don't have any issue with UVA switching to become the crossover to Boston College. I don't see Hokies getting all that excited about Louisville though. They could work into it just as we could I guess. To get the Hokies excited, we need to bring in West Virginia. It would stir up Pitt too. As much as the Hokies complain about the Mountaineers, they sure do pay attention to what WVU is doing all the time and talk about it. UVA has very little history with WVU, but the Hokies have a lot of history with them.

Regarding Syracuse, I was hoping UVA would play Syracuse more in football. We don't have any sort of football rivalry or basketball rivalry with Syracuse because we have played very little. But UVA and Syracuse have one in Lacrosse. I was hoping to build off of that one.

I notice that thus far you don't have the Orangemen included in the "must play" category. That will happen as soon as we beat one of those giants on their home court and then they will hate us equally.
SU doesn't have any real football riv@ls, and plus the ACC isn't going to listen to SU when realigning we are just a body that will discuss the stuff, but it all boils down to FSU and UNC and making them happy. SU has a history with BC, Pitt, and Miami, but the ACC put us in the Atlantic over the Coastal for a reason. I think they wanted to balance BC with SU and have 1 guaranteed Northeast game for FSU and Clemson.

I don't have any issue with UVA switching to become the crossover to Boston College. I don't see Hokies getting all that excited about Louisville though. They could work into it just as we could I guess. To get the Hokies excited, we need to bring in West Virginia. It would stir up Pitt too. As much as the Hokies complain about the Mountaineers, they sure do pay attention to what WVU is doing all the time and talk about it. UVA has very little history with WVU, but the Hokies have a lot of history with them.
Louisville is a classy version of WVU. The fanbase cares about the school, but they aren't annoying like WVU fans. Their football is improving and they have good hoops. I think Virginia Tech-Louisville would be a good game. Virginia Tech fans are closer to Louisville fans than Wahoo fans. Boston College-Virginia are similar academic schools and would be good matchups. I just think Hokies-Cardinals which are football schools makes too much sense.

Louisville is a classy version of WVU. The fanbase cares about the school, but they aren't annoying like WVU fans. Their football is improving and they have good hoops. I think Virginia Tech-Louisville would be a good game. Virginia Tech fans are closer to Louisville fans than Wahoo fans. Boston College-Virginia are similar academic schools and would be good matchups. I just think Hokies-Cardinals which are football schools makes too much sense.

I'm fine with it. As a Virginia fan, I'm looking forward to growing rivalries with all the new members. Since BC was not put in our division in 2005, I still consider them new. We've been able to build a new rivalry with Miami for instance. We don't have much football history to speak of with Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, or Notre Dame. All are new to us, and it's exciting to get the chance to play the new schools.

You get into what's driving the whole change request, and these are:

Florida State - Clemson
I suspect that it's more than just a "request". :)

Get it done and move on.

BTW: 16 teams and pods (post-NCAA) will make this much easier,

A little while back, someone posted a 14-team pod strategy that was interesting. I forget who was in which, but there were two 4-team pods and two 3-team pods that would alternate as division partners and retain a protected rival. Don't know if they based it on 8 or 9 conference games though.

A little while back, someone posted a 14-team pod strategy that was interesting. I forget who was in which, but there were two 4-team pods and two 3-team pods that would alternate as division partners and retain a protected rival. Don't know if they based it on 8 or 9 conference games though.

Probably me - actually I have posted three different 4+3 pod formats. Just to put them all in the same place:

Traditional
Atlantic: Clemson-FSU-NCSU-Wake
Coastal: Duke-GT-UNC-UVa
Old BE: BC-Miami-VT
New BE: LVille, Pitt, Syr

Zipper
Atlantic-S: FSU-Clemson-NCST-Wake
Coastal-S: Miami-GT-UNC-Duke
Atlantic-N: VT-Louisville-BC
Coastal-N: Uva-Pitt-Syr

Geographic
South: Miami-FSU-Clemson_GT
Central 1: Duke-UNC-UVa
Central-2: Wake-NCSU-VT
North: LVille-Pitt-Syr-BC

The first two options would need multiple protected rivalries, and some teams would only meet once every three years with an 8 game schedule. The last one would just need them for the central teams, which would allow each team to have three teams on their schedule every year, and play everyone else every other year -- even with just 8 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom