ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC

Dude the Big East after Miami left SUCKED. Especially for football. Buttgers and Uconn were the best teams that is disgusting.

IT WAS HORRIBLE. I want to throw up thinking about it.

Yes it had a good run in basketball that was good but it was only because there were so many teams and the B1G/ACC/SEC hadn't expanded to 14. It was never that loaded in terms of overall quality it just got a bunch of teams into the dance because it had so many teams.

And there was no reason a school like Marquette should have been in a football conference. Thats just stupid unless your conference kinda sucks and you 'need' them to boost hoops. We had enough BB only schools ie Hall/Nova/St Johns/Gtown IDK why they added more.

And OP tell us why the ACC should promote us or give special treatment?

We are a low scoring perennial bubble team known for its defense.

We had that run of 1st round picks every year but the last few did nothing in the NBA and bombed out immediately (Lydon and Mal bringing us to a FF is huge though giving us 2 in the decade.) Recruits were in diapers when Melo led us to the title its ancient history at this point.

I’ve digested our move to the ACC for years and I’ve always thought Syracuse had to make a move but I’m not sure moving to the ACC was the right move. I’m even more so concerned today after watching the ACC network because the ACC network does not develop the league advertisements for Syracuse to be competitive or attractive. I saw one Syracuse highlight for basketball with Battle making a game winner followed by two highlights against Syracuse and I don’t think that’s by mistake. It’s making it incredibly hard to be a fan the way I used to.

I liked the move and knew we had to make it for football. For basketball, it hasn’t worked out as I expected. I thought Cuse and Louisville would essentially fight year in and year-out to compete with Duke and UNC for conference regular season and tourney championships. I figured we’d be a step behind those two blue bloods but right there in the mix most years (especially since those four schools are the biggest TV draws in the ACC). It has not worked out that way for us, unfortunately. Obviously the unprecedented sanctions and the uncertain JB-Hop transition/JB retirement timeline have hurt us the most. But UVA’s emergence has also been problematic. Virginia just missed the tourney the year before we joined. In our debut year, they finished 1st and we finished 2nd, and they haven’t looked back. The thing I’m most surprised about is being a notch below Fla State and in the same territory as ND and NC State in the annual conference standings. (Fortunately, we have a Final Four and Sweet 16 appearance during this “downturn”). I think we’ve also been hurt a bit, perception wise, by losing our identity as one of the flagship programs in the Big East (the winningest school in conference history and most consistent over 30 years). While that’s a nebulous metric, it does seem to be playing a role. It’s disappointing but I believe we can turn it around and get back to the top tier in ACC basketball in the next few years.

maybe it is paranoia, who knows. I do understand why it was a good move. I don’t think the league is giving Syracuse the same love as they do to their darlings. If it was one off where I noticed it, I wouldn’t say anything. There’s consistency to it and goes all the way back to when they joined. It’s better to ask the question if you believe there is bias, right? It could completely be me just seeing Syracuse being lost in the shuffle of an already established league.
You want to become darlings? Compete for ACC championships and you will be highlighted real fast. Syracuse, although a great addition to the league, just has not created a great deal of narrative to talk about on the basketball side. In contrast look at the attention that was given to Cuse football last year by the league. Its not up to the ACC to make you relevant. That will happen as you win.

You want to become darlings? Compete for ACC championships and you will be highlighted real fast. Syracuse, although a great addition to the league, just has not created a great deal of narrative to talk about on the basketball side. In contrast look at the attention that was given to Cuse football last year by the league. Its not up to the ACC to make you relevant. That will happen as you win.

Darlings? Oh no, you mistake me.

I prefer the 100 year boot to neck kind of occupation.

They’re the 6th winningest basketball team in history and I have you telling me they have to win for relevance. I know your hoos just won a chip and it was well deserved. It was a great team win but your entire program is going to have to press the prestige button about 300 more times in basketball.

Aside from the final four and our first 25 games of the 13-14 season, we really haven’t done much to warrant a great deal of attention.

We went to the Final Four in 2016—and beat your beloved Hoos to get there. That was a pretty damn good national narrative, but I guess y’all have blocked that out. ; ) Since we joined in 2013-14, only 4 ACC teams have made the Final Four and we’re one of them (along with UVA, NC and Duke). Not to mention a Sweet 16 and a second place ACC finish. So while our regular season success hasn’t been up to the usual standards of our past 50 years, it hasn’t been all bad. And it will get better.

Darlings? Oh no, you mistake me.

I prefer the 100 year boot to neck kind of occupation.

They’re the 6th winningest basketball team in history and I have you telling me they have to win for relevance. I know your hoos just won a chip and it was well deserved. It was a great team win but your entire program is going to have to press the prestige button about 300 more times in basketball.

I think it's just a function of the day and age we live in. It's a "what have you done for me lately" world. Ask UCLA and Indiana. They're semi-afterthoughts coverage-wise when it comes to basketball these days (at least compared with teams that are consistently top 10).

The only way you really get the hype/love these days is to be a top 10 ranked program more often than not, be a CURRENTLY ranked top 10 program, OR be coming off a final 4 or title in the previous year.

Even a program like Duke/UNC could fall into relative obscurity with a poor coaching hire following the retirement of their HoF coaches. Given the stature of those programs, it might take 5-10 years, but make no mistake... it would happen. Again, just look at UCLA.

In this ADD/twitter/24hr news cycle world, historical prestige (while still somewhat relevant) means almost NOTHING compared to what it once did.

what have you done for me lately is a very convenient thing for you to say.

and the ACC would never let duke or NC fall off. They’d press the gas pedal for them both the way they should have for Syracuse when they made a difficult transition to a place full of people administrative and fan who I constantly encounter who don’t respect what Syracuse has been to college basketball for half a century.

I think it's just a function of the day and age we live in. It's a "what have you done for me lately" world. Ask UCLA and Indiana. They're semi-afterthoughts coverage-wise when it comes to basketball these days (at least compared with teams that are consistently top 10).

The only way you really get the hype/love these days is to be a top 10 ranked program more often than not, be a CURRENTLY ranked top 10 program, OR be coming off a final 4 or title in the previous year.

Even a program like Duke/UNC could fall into relative obscurity with a poor coaching hire following the retirement of their HoF coaches. Given the stature of those programs, it might take 5-10 years, but make no mistake... it would happen. Again, just look at UCLA.

In this ADD/twitter/24hr news cycle world, historical prestige (while still somewhat relevant) means almost NOTHING compared to what it once did.

Well, seeing how the ACC Network has been in existance less than 6 months, I'm not sure what Syracuse fans should expect to see.
The biggest sports plus for Syracuse at this point is the cross country team being ACC champs. Put that up against the ACC Network broadcast of the BC football game.
Let's give things time to play out to see how much promotional time The 'Cuse deserves.

Bottom line is, Syracuse is in the ACC just where they belong.

and the ACC would never let duke or NC fall off. They’d press the gas pedal for them both the way they should have for Syracuse when they made a difficult transition to a place full of people administrative and fan who I constantly encounter who don’t respect what Syracuse has been to college basketball for half a century.
That's an interesting concept. So the Matt D'oh-erty era and Pete Gaudet's year of back-breaking torment were just a figments of everyone's imagination because the ACC didn't let them happen.

They may not have a choice with dook because the academic leadership is not enthralled with the whole one-and-done situation and the next coach will be on a shorter leash than K is. They were good, they were terrible, they were good, they were terrible. Now they're good again. Their administration doesn't need basketball to "sell" dook.

Last edited:

I disagree with most of this. But one thing: UCLA and Indiana still get plenty of media attention because of their rabid fan bases (especially IU) and historical standing in the sport. When those schools are good, they get lots of national attention. When they’re mediocre, they still get a good amount of media attention, just not as much as Duke, UNC, KU and UK (who’ve all been consistently great the past few decades).

Did you know that we were bowl eligible twice in the Big East where the conference did nothing to push for us to get invited somewhere? After the BE broke up there was an interview with Tranghese where he said he regretted not doing anything. That happened to us twice. We had basketball seasons in the Big East where we didn’t play UConn or St. John’s. The Big East used us to build their conference and build up other programs and took us for granted until that day in September 2011 when we were lucky to join the ACC.

The ACC promoted our football team this year. Sadly we didn’t live up to the hype. When we were 6-6 in 2013 with no obvious bowl to go to, the ACC helped to get us into the Texas Bowl against an 8 win Minnesota. When we’re good they’ll give us the respect and hype we earn.

UNC lost 20 games with Doherty. K had a run of mediocre teams in the late 2000’s before this run for him started in 2010. Our last great run was 4 years ago. We don’t deserve any hype.

Last edited:
The ACC was absolutely the best move Syracuse could have made...The Big East was imploding and thank god we didn’t end up in the American conference with no revenue.

The Big 10 would have been awesome for football but we would be getting run over every week and basketball would have sucked because our opponents would have been mediocre.

The ACC is a great balance for both of the bread winning sports. Playing ACC opponents all season really gives us a gauge on what I it basketball team is and where we will stand come tourney time.

The most important aspect is the ACC helps us be financially stable for the foreseeable future.

And while I do miss good ol Big East Basketball, those days were over anyway. Overall, the best move available.

We went to the Final Four in 2016—and beat your beloved Hoos to get there. That was a pretty damn good national narrative, but I guess y’all have blocked that out. ; ) Since we joined in 2013-14, only 4 ACC teams have made the Final Four and we’re one of them (along with UVA, NC and Duke). Not to mention a Sweet 16 and a second place ACC finish. So while our regular season success hasn’t been up to the usual standards of our past 50 years, it hasn’t been all bad. And it will get better.

So the ACC Network should show highlights from 2016 to tee up the 2019-20 season?

C'mon the ACC has 5 to 6 teams in the top 25 annually, we haven't been one of those teams in awhile. I don't have any problem with us not being featured as a marquee program going into this season. If we win, I mean really win, and we aren't featured than you can get upset.

In the interim, we need to help ourselves. JB and the team have to do a better job recruiting and on the court and SUAD needs to continue to promote to make sure we stay relevant with the peripheral portions of our fanbase.

Last edited:
It’s making it incredibly hard to be a fan the way I used to.
That sounds like a personal issue.
But seriously, I don't think there is a person on this site who wouldn't take the old Big East over where we are now, but that world died long ago. So, you can either change your perspective/ expectations and be a fan "the way you used to", continue to be a fan, but in a less interested capacity (no fun, imo) or drift off to someplace else.
Change is constant. Adapt or wither away.

maybe it is paranoia, who knows. I do understand why it was a good move. I don’t think the league is giving Syracuse the same love as they do to their darlings. If it was one off where I noticed it, I wouldn’t say anything. There’s consistency to it and goes all the way back to when they joined. It’s better to ask the question if you believe there is bias, right? It could completely be me just seeing Syracuse being lost in the shuffle of an already established league.
That's how it is in every conference. How much love does Miss St get from the SeC? You don't see a lot of Illinois in B1G promos or Oregon St in PAC promos. If you're consistently good, the league will promote you.
I grew up in the DC area in the heart of ACC country. Duke wasnt really competitive before Tommy Amaker and Johnny Dawkins. They were an afterthought in all of the ACC ads and promos, which featured predominantly UNC, UVA, UMD and NCSU.

That sounds like a personal issue.
But seriously, I don't think there is a person on this site who wouldn't take the old Big East over where we are now, but that world died long ago. So, you can either change your perspective/ expectations and be a fan "the way you used to", continue to be a fan, but in a less interested capacity (no fun, imo) or drift off to someplace else.
Change is constant. Adapt or wither away.

5 straight bad regular seasons has made it hard for me to enjoy the team like I used to.

5 straight bad regular seasons has made it hard for me to enjoy the team like I used to.

BAD??

1572887148361.png

We haven't had a losing season in like 5 DECADES.
And have the longest ongoing active streak of winning (aka non-losing) seasons, currently still in progress...

"Disappointing"? Sure, that's fair.
Underwhelming, subpar, there are plenty of terms one could use - but BAD isn't one of them.

You wanna see BAD?
Check out some of the years that many of our current and former contemporaries have had, such as:
Pitt
BC
UConn
St Johns
Georgetown
etc, etc, etc.

BAD??

View attachment 172456

We haven't had a losing season in like 5 DECADES.
And have the longest ongoing active streak of winning (aka non-losing) seasons, currently still in progress...

"Disappointing"? Sure, that's fair.
Underwhelming, subpar, there are plenty of terms one could use - but BAD isn't one of them.

You wanna see BAD?
Check out some of the years that many of our current and former contemporaries have had, such as:
Pitt
BC
UConn
St Johns
Georgetown
etc, etc, etc.

We're Syracuse. NIT*, 10 seed, NIT, 11 seed, and 8 seed five years in a row is bad.

This will be the team that brings back some measure of normalcy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom