ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC

We absolutely had to join the ACC. I won’t ever question that. But personally, the conference is a bore to me. I suppose it’s partially because I live somewhere (Connecticut) that used to allow me to attend a number of games, particularity in basketball. UConn, St. John’s, Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Boston College and Villanova. I’ll be lucky to get to one or two basketball games nowadays. I was also able to see more road games in football and lacrosse.

Sure, it’s exciting to play Duke and Carolina in hoops, but I also enjoyed the rivalries with UConn, St. John’s, Nova and Georgetown, probably even more.

It’s tough to get excited about a football or basketball game with Wake Forest, Georgia Tech or NC State. Rivalries are better when your rival is next door, not a long car or plane trip away. We’ll never replicate the Big East Tournament.

UConn got back in the Big East because they missed it. Their fans missed it. And it’s better for the basketball program in terms of recruiting.

Our move to the ACC isn’t a big deal if you live near Syracuse, and if you live down South, it’s been a blessing.

My cable outlet still doesn’t carry the ACC Network. It’s not available in many places in the Northeast and elsewhere if you’re a Comcast subscriber (or subscribe to a few other cable outlets). I’m a big fan, so I finally subscribed to YouTubeTV. But watching SU was rarely an issue during the golden Big East days.

I look at joining the ACC as a necessary evil. It needed to be done. But I’ll probably never warm up to the idea.

Just my opinion.

I really can’t even rationalize how people could think the ACC wasn’t an ideal move for us
Agreed - I've always felt it waas a much better move for us than for the ACC.

I like you Mark so I’ll just say you’re being ridiculous with this paranoia
Ha Ha...but seriously, I have never heard the short Cuse promo listening to the ACC Channel on Sirius.

I do agree the ACC was our best move...still is.

BAD??

View attachment 172456

We haven't had a losing season in like 5 DECADES.
And have the longest ongoing active streak of winning (aka non-losing) seasons, currently still in progress...

"Disappointing"? Sure, that's fair.
Underwhelming, subpar, there are plenty of terms one could use - but BAD isn't one of them.

You wanna see BAD?
Check out some of the years that many of our current and former contemporaries have had, such as:
Pitt
BC
UConn
St Johns
Georgetown
etc, etc, etc.
I think you get it right with "disappointing" - we've always managed to stay somewhat competitive within the conference, but I feel like we've hoped and expected to move closer to the blue bloods than we have. At this point, I think it's more likely we get worse than better.

I think you get it right with "disappointing" - we've always managed to stay somewhat competitive within the conference, but I feel like we've hoped and expected to move closer to the blue bloods than we have. At this point, I think it's more likely we get worse than better.
I think the probation really killed us...now Boeheim's age and zone bad mouthing is hurting us. I think we can easily get into the Top 25 but Top 10 is going to be hard to sustain.

We absolutely had to join the ACC. I won’t ever question that. But personally, the conference is a bore to me. I suppose it’s partially because I live somewhere (Connecticut) that used to allow me to attend a number of games, particularity in basketball. UConn, St. John’s, Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Boston College and Villanova. I’ll be lucky to get to one or two basketball games nowadays. I was also able to see more road games in football and lacrosse.

Sure, it’s exciting to play Duke and Carolina in hoops, but I also enjoyed the rivalries with UConn, St. John’s, Nova and Georgetown, probably even more.

It’s tough to get excited about a football or basketball game with Wake Forest, Georgia Tech or NC State. Rivalries are better when your rival is next door, not a long car or plane trip away. We’ll never replicate the Big East Tournament.

UConn got back in the Big East because they missed it. Their fans missed it. And it’s better for the basketball program in terms of recruiting.

Our move to the ACC isn’t a big deal if you live near Syracuse, and if you live down South, it’s been a blessing.

My cable outlet still doesn’t carry the ACC Network. It’s not available in many places in the Northeast and elsewhere if you’re a Comcast subscriber (or subscribe to a few other cable outlets). I’m a big fan, so I finally subscribed to YouTubeTV. But watching SU was rarely an issue during the golden Big East days.

I look at joining the ACC as a necessary evil. It needed to be done. But I’ll probably never warm up to the idea.

Just my opinion.
UConn is only back in the Big East because they are fine with throwing the football program to the wayside. Syracuse football would be in a putrid situation if we didn't make the move just like theirs is.

The GMac BET runs when I was young played a huge role in me being the fan that I am today but I would guess that most younger fans would rather see us play Duke, UNC, Virginia, etc. then those old Big East rivals who haven't been great of late (besides Nova, of course). I would be thrilled if we could play UConn, Georgetown, and St. John's yearly in OOC but the 20-game league schedule basically makes that impossible but at the end of the day I have no issue trading those in for the ACC.

In FB we only play 2. Miami doesn't count

Fair enough. I think it would certainly help everyone's opinion of the move had we not had some many "below par" seasons in all major sports since joining.

Many of us, including me, have great memories of the Big East in its prime years. Those run and gun teams, the Dome loud and manic, opponents and coaches of almost legendary status, were truly something very special. But they are history and now just a smile and warm feeling inside as you think of that time.

It's been said many times, but this is just another case of "You can never go home again."

I think the probation really killed us...now Boeheim's age and zone bad mouthing is hurting us. I think we can easily get into the Top 25 but Top 10 is going to be hard to sustain.
I don't think "Zone bad mouthing" has hurt recruiting whatsoever, especially with all the schools that play a good chunk of zone now. Hell, Duke played 2-3 most of the last few seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom