Adam Silver trying to end the one and done... | Syracusefan.com

Adam Silver trying to end the one and done...

just go to the hockey/baseball type rule. you get drafted that team holds your rights for 2-3 yrs or you get drafted and if you dont go you stay in school for 2-3 yrs.

I've always thought players should be able to enter once they turn 18 & anytime after. I will have absolutely ZERO problem with any player chooses to play college ball, blows up, & then elects to either sit out the 2nd year or play for pay overseas. I think you'll see quite a bit of that. IMO, forcing them to play 2 years of college ball is wrong. I get the desire to improve both the college & NBA product, but not at the expense of postponing a player's ability to profit off their talent.

Trying to allow kids to come directly out of high school and if they don't at least 2 years in college. Hopefully this happens. The Dooks and Kentucky's are probably going to hate it but oh well.

Sources: Silver meets NCAA to talk 1-and-done
I don't think Duke would hate it. K didn't like his guys leaving early and it was a big deal when guys like Brand starting leaving after his sophomore year. K adapted to the culture and would adapt back just fine.

I don't think they should be forced to stay out two years if they decline. First off, I think it would only encourage more people to make the jump after high school. Second, your in essence penalizing them for holding off a year to develop their game. They would lose a year of NBA income and be under the microscope that much longer. Let them come out whenever, they can develop in the G-League if necessary.

The NBA should do what puts the best product on the court. All employers have entry level requirements aimed at increasing the probability they get quality personnel and those same companies will set those requirements aside for exceptional rare talent. The NBA should be no different.

Not sure how I view this..if it's a pro or con for us...on one hand, we pretty much don't target the 1 and done players so this won't really affect our recruiting but with the likes of UK and Duke will be coming after some of our smaller fish we recruit because they need to establish a foundation?

Big deal. All that will happen if all the 5 stars go directly to the NBA from HS is that the elite schools (Duke, UK, KU, etc) will grab the next tier guys who will become the new top tier guys. That means guys like Tyus Battle, Malachi Richardson, Brissett, etc will be going to those schools and not SU. We'll be forced into taking more 3 stars. It's all relative.

would do wonders for the (college and NBA) game

I had always thought the one and done rule was instituted by the NBA to protect the owners who couldn't seem to control themselves from picking an unproven, athletic, flavor of the month in the top 5 of the draft who would then turn out to have no concept of how to play basketball.

With the controlled draft contracts, D-League or G-League, and increased HS exposure the owners may think they are mature enough to handle the responsibility. We shall see.

I had always thought the one and done rule was instituted by the NBA to protect the owners who couldn't seem to control themselves from picking an unproven, athletic, flavor of the month in the top 5 of the draft who would then turn out to have no concept of how to play basketball.

With the controlled draft contracts, D-League or G-League, and increased HS exposure the owners may think they are mature enough to handle the responsibility. We shall see.
JB would be excellent at NBA talent evaluation imo. Not that he's going anywhere.

just go to the hockey/baseball type rule. you get drafted that team holds your rights for 2-3 yrs or you get drafted and if you dont go you stay in school for 2-3 yrs.

And start the Rookie Salary Cap clock for kids that choose college at the same time as those who enter the draft. Otherwise a player who chooses college is delayed at least two years from being paid true market value over one who enters the draft, is picked at the end of the first round and plays in the G League.

Big deal. All that will happen if all the 5 stars go directly to the NBA from HS is that the elite schools (Duke, UK, KU, etc) will grab the next tier guys who will become the new top tier guys. That means guys like Tyus Battle, Malachi Richardson, Brissett, etc will be going to those schools and not SU. We'll be forced into taking more 3 stars. It's all relative.
This is why they should make the rule 3 years... hopefully a lot of the funny money would be taken out of college hoops if the sure things were out of the system entirely. The reality is that college should be about learning not sports and way too much money is wasted on college sports when it could go to a lot better causes. Secondarily college hoops is a terrible product because there is no continuity... coaches essentially have 30 days to get a brand new team ready for a season. I disagree that if this rule passes the blue bloods would benefit... I think this would improve parity a ton because just about every projectable kid and sure thing would go pro without going to college so the blue bloods would have to get players and take chances just like everyone else. The game would go back to coaching and systems instead of who is the best briber/recruiter out there.

If guys are forced to stay multiple years it will be impossible for UK or Duke to sign the top guys every year because of scholarship restrictions. The talent will be more spread out.

Easy compromise.
Go to NBA out of HS if you don’t declare for the draft out of HS you aren’t eligible for the draft for 2 years.

You declare for the draft and aren’t drafted you have to play pro ball overseas or in the G league.

Elite kids go straight to the NBA if you aren’t elite you have to wait 2
Years to be drafted. Go to college for one year and then overseas is fine if you want to get paid.

I don't think they should be forced to stay out two years if they decline. First off, I think it would only encourage more people to make the jump after high school. Second, your in essence penalizing them for holding off a year to develop their game. They would lose a year of NBA income and be under the microscope that much longer. Let them come out whenever, they can develop in the G-League if necessary.

Staying out 3 years if you go to college is copying the system that MLB has in the CBA with its players. Folks like to use that as a model of a system that works.

Yes, OAD was invented as a way for the owners to get the reluctant Players Assoc. to agree to "Stop me before I draft Kwame Brown again." Now, the owners want to change the rule and the players don't.

This is why they should make the rule 3 years... hopefully a lot of the funny money would be taken out of college hoops if the sure things were out of the system entirely. The reality is that college should be about learning not sports and way too much money is wasted on college sports when it could go to a lot better causes. Secondarily college hoops is a terrible product because there is no continuity... coaches essentially have 30 days to get a brand new team ready for a season. I disagree that if this rule passes the blue bloods would benefit... I think this would improve parity a ton because just about every projectable kid and sure thing would go pro without going to college so the blue bloods would have to get players and take chances just like everyone else. The game would go back to coaching and systems instead of who is the best briber/recruiter out there.
If it were three years, it wouldn't just be the elite that jump. Remember, players think they are ready for the NBA even if they aren't. Guys who think they can make it in the NBA would be reluctant to give up three years of making NBA money.

If it were three years, it wouldn't just be the elite that jump. Remember, players think they are ready for the NBA even if they aren't. Guys who think they can make it in the NBA would be reluctant to give up three years of making NBA money.

Let them go then. If they think they are good enough, can make a living while developing their game - go for it.

Leave college ball for the kids who believe college is their best option for an education, better preparing themselves for their future with or without basketball. Give those who do leave after committing to at least 3 years an automatic free 4th or 5th year(for those who stay 4 years) to complete college or masters within 10 years after leaving. Don’t pay them, compensate them with a university’s real mission, an education.

Let them go then. If they think they are good enough, can make a living while developing their game - go for it.

Leave college ball for the kids who believe college is their best option for an education, better preparing themselves for their future with or without basketball. Give those who do leave after committing to at least 3 years an automatic free 4th or 5th year(for those who stay 4 years) to complete college or masters within 10 years after leaving. Don’t pay them, compensate them with a university’s real mission, an education.
I'm cool with that though I think the ultimate solution is to split D1 into two - One with the type of players you are suggesting and another where players can do endorsements, many of the practice/game restrictions are listed, and a new determination is made on how academics fits into their experience.

Could the NBA and NCAA come to an arrangement? Lets say I am a talented athlete and I declare for the draft because I want to strike while the iron's hot and get a commitment to get paid, BUT I'd really like to continue to develop my athletic and educational abilities in college instead of riding the bench in the NBA or playing in the G-League.

So I declare for the draft and get drafted and I exercise a new "continue college" option, where upon signing I can express to the team that drafted me that I wish to continue college. The team still commits to a contract but a small portion of it is paid to me while I complete/continue college. Meanwhile, we reward and make up the difference to the NBA team with a salary cap write-off. As a bonus, the team that drafted me also gets a more educated player to join their roster at a future date.

I've always thought players should be able to enter once they turn 18 & anytime after. I will have absolutely ZERO problem with any player chooses to play college ball, blows up, & then elects to either sit out the 2nd year or play for pay overseas. I think you'll see quite a bit of that. IMO, forcing them to play 2 years of college ball is wrong. I get the desire to improve both the college & NBA product, but not at the expense of postponing a player's ability to profit off their talent.

Other than careers that are regulated by the state or federal government through licensing, I struggle to come up with another occupation that requires it's employees to have at least one year of college or be 19.

Could the NBA and NCAA come to an arrangement? Lets say I am a talented athlete and I declare for the draft because I want to strike while the iron's hot and get a commitment to get paid, BUT I'd really like to continue to develop my athletic and educational abilities in college instead of riding the bench in the NBA or playing in the G-League.

So I declare for the draft and get drafted and I exercise a new "continue college" option, where upon signing I can express to the team that drafted me that I wish to continue college. The team still commits to a contract but a small portion of it is paid to me while I complete/continue college. Meanwhile, we reward and make up the difference to the NBA team with a salary cap write-off. As a bonus, the team that drafted me also gets a more educated player to join their roster at a future date.

While this is an interesting idea, my guess is owners don't really care about how educated their basketball employees are. They would rather have them on the court making them money or developing in their G-League.

I'm cool with that though I think the ultimate solution is to split D1 into two - One with the type of players you are suggesting and another where players can do endorsements, many of the practice/game restrictions are listed, and a new determination is made on how academics fits into their experience.
And who is going to set that type of scenario? The NCAA?? :rolling:

If a kid has graduated from high school and is 18+ he should be able to do what he wants, period. If he decides to go to college, the NBA and NCAA are well within their rights to make a rule stating that the player must be in college (and remain academically eligible) for two years.

But, it's got me thinking... what's to stop a kid (and a college from wink-wink, nod-nod advising him) from signing with a school with the plan of just dropping out after a year? The key there would be for the NBA to remain steadfast in not allowing such players to be drafted for another year.

How rules that focuses on the rights of players to market their talent?

If you're another Moses Malone or Bill Willoughby ...great ...go right out of high school.
Perhaps a college player should only lose remaining college eligibility when he signs a pro contract.
Maybe even let them retain agents for professional offers and still come back if they don't sign pro contracts.
That way everyone can test the water every year.
Let the NBA clubs make their decisions.

Of course there are problems with this.
But there are problems with every scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom