Adam Silver trying to end the one and done... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Silver trying to end the one and done...

Read the case law I posted. Under the Sherman Act, an employer can't unilaterally, directly restrict employment due to age. However, in certain collective bargaining agreements that pass specific legalities such as the the Mackey Test seemingly can.

I think too many people are mixing up age restriction versus education/experience restriction. There is a huge difference.

I don't think very many people are arguing for the NBA owners to unilaterally impose age restrictions. I believe that just about everybody who is advocating such a restriction understands that it would have to be collectively bargained. I don't think it's necessary to add that qualifier every time someone posts on the subject.

Two major points:

In MLB you can be drafted and still opt for college. Does the signing with an agent restriction still apply? If so it is apparently overlooked with “advisors “ acting as intermediaries.

Second, the number of professional basketball slots within the US has expanded greatly in the past years. The D League used to be a handful of teams catering to those who were on the cusp of NBA talent and COULD not play college ball. The G League if today is much more robust and a true minor league with a TV contract and top players making close to NBA salaries. In short as viable an option as minor league baseball is. Add to this the roster expansion from 12 to 15 and ongoing discussions to grow that to 17 with players assigned to G League.

The landscape is different than it was 12 years ago and will continue to evolve. The system needs to evolve with it.

I don't like this. I prefer the NFL's rule.
I don't need to see the NBA watered-down with unready kids who also haven't yet established their own 'brands.' What will i care, about an 18-year old kid who i've never seen play in college?
The NBA should be encouraging ALL people to get as much education as possible. That should be the societal goal. And the NBA, if it's going to be genuine in wanting college students to be college students should require they leave college in good academic standing.
If they do enact such a rule, put limits on the number of kids that can enter without college. Like 5. If there really is another Kevin Garnett or Kobe, they sh0uld be in that five.
Have the draft a bit earlier, so that college programs can set their rosters just that bit sooner with commitments from those who aren't drafted.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. A plumber doesn't need to know Shakespeare to benefit society. An athlete doesn't need to have studied Mozart to be good at what he/she does. My son HATED school. Loves the Navy. Why? He's not sitting on his ass listening to people drone on and on about stuff he doesn't scare about.
Under your theory no actor or musician should be able to pursue their oassion without going to college. Taylor Swift says ?
Talent should get out and do what they are good at. They can hire the college kids to take care of the small stuff.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. A plumber doesn't need to know Shakespeare to benefit society. An athlete doesn't need to have studied Mozart to be good at what he/she does. My son HATED school. Loves the Navy. Why? He's not sitting on his ass listening to people drone on and on about stuff he doesn't scare about.
Under your theory no actor or musician should be able to pursue their oassion without going to college. Taylor Swift says ?
Talent should get out and do what they are good at. They can hire the college kids to take care of the small stuff.
I'll see your three Wrongs and raise you another.
An education need not have anything to do with your eventual profession. Doesn't matter if studying sociology or 'Mozart' makes a basketball player better at basketball. It makes him a better person. Your son IS getting education in the navy. But that's not even important to Dispute your 'logic.' He didn't enjoy listening to someone (a teacher) drone on about things he's not interested in? Tough toenails. Did he whine about that in high school too? Did you tell him not to pay attention to history in junior high? At what point was he already learned enough? Actors and musicians? College never prevented anyone from acting or playing an instrument. College, In fact, can benefit both. There are schools for both, you know. And if they are too involved professionally for college at that age, fine, they don't go. My point is that societally, more education is better than less. There's no societal edict or requirement. But organizationally, the NBA is in a position to benefit society and build better young men. Knowing more makes you better. And, so, for every Taylor Swift, I'll counter with a Justin Bieber. And raise you a Meryl Streep.

My younger sister hated high school. Didn't get great grades. She told me she wasn't going to college. I told her she WAS going to college. She went. She loved it. She went abroad her junior year. She loved it. She went to grad school. She loved it. She moved to Italy. She loved it. She loved there for 10-ish years, and now hat she's been back in the us for ten years, she's clamoring to live in Paris or Spain or Germany. She works successfully in a field she knew nothing about before she began undergrad work. She speaks three languages fluently. She's a mother to two beautiful boys and a husband to a guy from the navy. And the guy from the navy? Who hated school? He now has a law degree and is working on his MBA.

A lack of education and critical thinking is why we're in the pickle we're in now with half the electorate not being able to recognize truth from foreign troll-created fiction. And the point of education isn't just reading Kirkegaard. I learned more about PEOPLE from having roommates of different cultures and 2am debates/discussions in the dorm lounge. All part of 'incidental socialization.'

An education need not have anything to do with your eventual profession. Doesn't matter if studying sociology or 'Mozart' makes a basketball player better at basketball. It makes him a better person. Your son IS getting education in the navy. But that's not even important to Dispute your 'logic.' He didn't enjoy listening to someone (a teacher) drone on about things he's not interested in? Tough toenails. Did he whine about that in high school too? Did you tell him not to pay attention to history in junior high? At what point was he already learned enough? Actors and musicians? College never prevented anyone from acting or playing an instrument. College, In fact, can benefit both. There are schools for both, you know. And if they are too involved professionally for college at that age, fine, they don't go. My point is that societally, more education is better than less. There's no societal edict or requirement. But organizationally, the NBA is in a position to benefit society and build better young men. Knowing more makes you better.

A lack of education and critical thinking is why we're in the pickle we're in now with half the electorate not being able to recognize truth from foreign troll-created fiction. And the point of education isn't just reading Kirkegaard. I learned more about PEOPLE from having roommates of different cultures and 2am debates/discussions in the dorm lounge. All part of 'incidental socialization.'

I agree with everything in your post, especially the last paragraph. College education, even for a couple years, improves society overall.

But as a college educator in the performing arts, I counsel students all the time on whether they should stay in school to achieve their career goals. Their is only so much you can learn in college to help you as a performer. Just like in basketball, you can’t beat real game experience. But learning more about theatre or music can make you a more complete performer, as liberal arts classes increase cognitive thought.

That being said, I think age based restrictions on job qualifications are wrong. ;)

Big deal. All that will happen if all the 5 stars go directly to the NBA from HS is that the elite schools (Duke, UK, KU, etc) will grab the next tier guys who will become the new top tier guys. That means guys like Tyus Battle, Malachi Richardson, Brissett, etc will be going to those schools and not SU. We'll be forced into taking more 3 stars. It's all relative.

I think what could get interesting is if the nba starts taking the G League more seriously and drafts more players with idea of stashing and developing them (like MLB). I’m not saying they’d have a huge minor league system like baseball but would an nba team want to draft 4 rounds and stash an additional two kids a year on a G League team?

Not sure if it makes financial sense but that would lead to More like the top 50 being drafted each year (or at least 35-40) and there may be intriguing implications. Yes, the big boys still get the top rated recruits but it’s harder to establish exactly who those kids are and the gap between say no. 40 and no. 80 is often much smaller than the gap between 1 and 40.

Regardless the one-and-done thing is atrocious.

Two major points:

In MLB you can be drafted and still opt for college. Does the signing with an agent restriction still apply? If so it is apparently overlooked with “advisors “ acting as intermediaries.

Second, the number of professional basketball slots within the US has expanded greatly in the past years. The D League used to be a handful of teams catering to those who were on the cusp of NBA talent and COULD not play college ball. The G League if today is much more robust and a true minor league with a TV contract and top players making close to NBA salaries. In short as viable an option as minor league baseball is. Add to this the roster expansion from 12 to 15 and ongoing discussions to grow that to 17 with players assigned to G League.

The landscape is different than it was 12 years ago and will continue to evolve. The system needs to evolve with it.
In baseball, the "signing with an agent" restriction still applies. The players like Chris Weinke who played baseball and then college football were allowed to do that because they never signed with an agent and negotiated their own baseball contract. The draft advisors don't get money from the players for their services so it's legal. When you look at it, they have nothing to gain or lose in giving advice because if they're consistently wrong, one way or the other, no one will ask for their advice anymore. That would be especially true if their mistake is semi-consistently to tell the player to opt for the draft and the player either doesn't get drafted or gets drafted in a poor spot.

Thinking this through a bit more. if the on-and-done rule is abolished and kids can go directly from high school to the NBA, imagine the first draft under the new system. There would be two classes of first year eligible players instead of one. Granted the 2017 draft was historically the youngest ever with 16 college freshmen going in the first round but if there is a similar number of college freshmen as well as a similar size HS class a player who would have been rated as a late first / early second round selection - like, oh, say a Tyus Battle - might well slip out of the draft entirely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom