Adams and Howard - Opt Out Situation | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Adams and Howard - Opt Out Situation

Correct me if I'm wrong but scholarships are year over year so unless they drop out of school I believe they're on scholarship until the end of the 2nd semester. I'm not sure what happens if they've effectively quit the team but stay enrolled. (say for 2nd semester.) He could definitely ban their use of the athletic facilities but that's just bad PR.
P5 Scholarships are for four years.

Last edited:
P5 Scholarships are for four years.

I believe they can be guaranteed for 4 years but I'm pretty sure the norm is to renew annually. It's laid out in the scholarship agreement when you sign the LOI.

Correct me if I'm wrong but scholarships are year over year so unless they drop out of school I believe they're on scholarship until the end of the 2nd semester. I'm not sure what happens if they've effectively quit the team but stay enrolled. (say for 2nd semester.) He could definitely ban their use of the athletic facilities but that's just bad PR.
P-5 schools went to mandatory 4 year scholarships in 2015. They cannot be terminated for athletic reasons.

P-5 schools went to mandatory 4 year scholarships in 2015. They cannot be terminated for athletic reasons.

is that a link because it doesn’t work? I can’t find anything official other than what I stated. The P5 thing above I don’t believe is NCAA legislation. The only thing I can find on that says that it was voted on and followed by P5 schools, not the ncaa. I guess that fits this discussion.

But nevertheless your scholarship is yanked if you voluntarily leave the team

Last edited:
You doubt me PhatOrange

From 2015...

"Beginning this fall, schools in the “power five” conferences – the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 – mandated four-year scholarships for their athletes following January’s passage of landmark rules changes."

I don't believe the opt out option was considered a quitting of the team.

I thought these guys quit on the team?*

* asterisk season due to pandemic, it’s fine, carry on

You doubt me PhatOrange

From 2015...

"Beginning this fall, schools in the “power five” conferences – the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 – mandated four-year scholarships for their athletes following January’s passage of landmark rules changes."

I don't believe the opt out option was considered a quitting of the team.

i don’t think I did a good job saying what I was trying to say.

Since he came back to campus and is enrolled in school his scholarship is naturally still good (only because of COVID) but if he chooses not to play football after say - May, then obviously he’ll lose his scholarship. I think we can all agree on that. Which is why I first said his current ship is good until the end of the semester.

Regarding a guaranteed 4 year scholarship versus annual, I was not aware of nor citing the power five only provision. So I stand corrected on that provision. I was referring to the actual NCAA rule across all divisions and all sports. To my knowledge the NCAA will allow a guaranteed 4 year scholarship but most schools go annual.

Again I was not aware of the power five provision so thanks for pointing that out. that really is just protecting performance based scholarships and forcing kids out which I get but then again every coach has ‘the talk’ at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Getting my hopes up with Howard and imo he’s got a boatload of untapped talent. He ran the 40 nearly as fast as Jordan, and the mans got size.

trying to manage my optimism

I thought that an insider posted that Howard went home because of a family issue. Not sure on Adams. I hope that they are both back but my guess is Howard comes back and Adams trys to make the league.

So ima gonna combine two threads here re: RBs.

The roster has 3 or 4 spots open seems to be the consensus. If you are Dino and all 3 of Adams, Howard and Jordan want to come back for 2021/22, how many do you take and who?

I would take only Jordan if he accepts a situational role and not demand starting / feature. The speed differentiates him from all others.

I expect Hough to be able to make that freshman splash like Tucker if necessary, and I like Lutz as that utility 3rd down back either alone or in a rare 2-back set.

Adams I fear would only want touches for numbers sake and could foster some ill will in the locker room. I like Howard as that experienced combo guy (power with a little speed but not extreme juke), but in a pass heavy offense 5 running backs may be too many. The roster probably needs a transfer CB or DB (or both) more than Jordan AND Howard.

The roster has 3 or 4 spots open seems to be the consensus. If you are Dino and all 3 of Adams, Howard and Jordan want to come back for 2021/22, how many do you take and who?

I would take only Jordan if he accepts a situational role and not demand starting / feature. The speed differentiates him from all others.

I expect Hough to be able to make that freshman splash like Tucker if necessary, and I like Lutz as that utility 3rd down back either alone or in a rare 2-back set.

Adams I fear would only want touches for numbers sake and could foster some ill will in the locker room. I like Howard as that experienced combo guy (power with a little speed but not extreme juke), but in a pass heavy offense 5 running backs may be too many. The roster probably needs a transfer CB or DB (or both) more than Jordan AND Howard.

Fair points.

I’d say the hierarchy is:
Jordan,
then Howard.
Adams IF neither of the above.

And for Jim Brown’s sake, get Jordan into FFF’n space!!!
Swing passes, screens, tosses, jet sweeps, tunnel screens, etc.
If I see that 160 lb kid doing an A gap dive again I’m gonna lose my sh’t!!

I think a lot hangs on a healthy and legal issue free Cornelius Nunn.

Adams would not count against the roster limit as he would have exhausted his eligibility in 2020.

Fair points.

I’d say the hierarchy is:
Jordan,
then Howard.
Adams IF neither of the above.

And for Jim Brown’s sake, get Jordan into FFF’n space!!!
Swing passes, screens, tosses, jet sweeps, tunnel screens, etc.
If I see that 160 lb kid doing an A gap dive again I’m gonna lose my sh’t!!
I would take all and let the talent sort itself out. top schools all have loaded RB rooms kids can wait time or transfer. With injuries etc not unusual to see 5 kids play and use them on specials

I would take all and let the talent sort itself out. top schools all have loaded RB rooms kids can wait time or transfer. With injuries etc not unusual to see 5 kids play and use them on specials
Yeah.

We're 1 and 10.

The offense was historically bad.

Getting my hopes up with Howard and imo he’s got a boatload of untapped talent. He ran the 40 nearly as fast as Jordan, and the mans got size.

trying to manage my optimism
Howard was laser timed in the 40 near a 4.37? How was he not a 5 star recruit and how did he get caught from behind on alomost all of his long runs?

Howard was laser timed in the 40 near a 4.37? How was he not a 5 star recruit and how did he get caught from behind on alomost all of his long runs?
Howard’s not in the 4.3’s obviously but he’s got some speed too. We never saw it in 2019 because of the absolute embarrassment our OL and playcalling were. I’d rather have another proven ball carrier who protects the ball and wears down the D, assuming our OL is improved even a little.

Howard’s not in the 4.3’s obviously but he’s got some speed too. We never saw it in 2019 because of the absolute embarrassment our OL and playcalling were. I’d rather have another proven ball carrier who protects the ball and wears down the D, assuming our OL is improved even a little.
I'd like to have him too. I was just questioning the comment about his speed. In 2018 he looked good but nowhere near as fast as Jordan.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom