Additional thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Additional thoughts

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
Can't read any more so sorry if this has already been posted:

Agree that if you resort to blaming the referees you've already lost but those two blatant off sides penalties that were not called were brutal.
4th and goal from the two followed up by the pass to Ishmael that looked like pretty clear defensive holding.
4th quarter miss where Dungey thinks he has a free play, fires one of his only down field passes of the game and gets picked. Thought that was going to be compounded by an Unsportsmanlike call when Eric went nose-to-nose with the line judge pointing downfield and shaking his head. Line judge has one job pre-snap. Can;t miss those calls.

Thought after the three and out up 16-9 we were about to take control of the game and Riley muffs the punt. Is it just me or does the kid have "happy feet" even after a fair catch call. Seems to be shuffling rather than stationery and just securing the ball. Need a change there.

Need to find some playmakers on offense. Ishmael runs excellent routes, is a very good down field blocker and usually has good hands but he is not going to stretch the defense. Erv can but not from the slot when his longest routes are 3 yard curls or quick pitches behind the line with no blockers out front. If you want to burn a redshirt, let's get RTB out there. Certainly give Nykiem and Markenzy a series or two!

Defensive back taking a dive to stop an illegal substitution penalty then popping to his feet and doing jumping jacks screams at the very least delay of game, doesn't it?

First time in 14 games that I've been disappointed in effort and execution in a competitive game. Willing to chalk it up to growing pains and give Dino a pass but next week will speak volumes about the character of this team and program.

Props to the administration for enhancements to the game day experience yesterday. Still a long way to go, but WiFi was apparently much better yesterday, Out of Town scores were the best they've ever been - EXCELLENT new service. The bell (I hate it but it's apparently not going away) was at least more audible and visible. I hear some rumblings that there are other initiatives in work as well for later in the season.

Don't get me wrong. INCREDIBLY disappointed in the outcome but the chance to see D1 football along with a great tailgate with great people isn;t the worst way to spend a Saturday.

Go Orange!

Great points.

My one positive takeaway...

I no longer have to consider endowing the Y, R and A flags for the cheerleading squad upon my death.

Was nice to see a new set of S Y R A C U S E flags to go with the big "S" flag.

Always hated seeing S C U S E being run through the end zone or across the basketball court.

That's all I've got. What a rough day. On to CMU.

I don't love Riley on PR but I'm coming around on him for KR. Kid can fly. Although I am not opposed to seeing what NJ82 has

Was surprised that the regular season ticket holders usually sitting next to us weren't there but had given them to a local large high school, football coach and wife. Nice people. Interesting to hear his insight. Before MTSU ever snapped the ball in 4th down plays, two times, he said in exasperation, 'they are going to quick kick it why don't we send someone back.' Dang it, he was right as we watched the ball tumble untouched down the field. I asked him how he knew and he said the formation was a dead giveaway.

He was really disappointed in the receiver drops but also with ED's decision making. He mentioned tunnel vision, running too soon and east -west, looking only in one direction missing open secondary receivers, and keeping the ball on option plays himself rather than dumping it off. One of the few times he was animated was when ED didn't snap the ball to catch MTSU with too many players on the field. He also was disappointed in our RB's never opting to bouncing outside.

He gave quiet interesting commentary on some plays. He also was critical of a number of ref misses but also thought we benefitted from a few close calls too but made earlier in the game. We talked about the ridiculous number of reviews on clear cut calls that were causing 1 hour quarters. He was surprised and impressed by the defense until they 'ran out of gas'. His takes made it a more interesting game for me especially when looking at replays and seeing if what he thought he saw, was what really happened.

Was surprised that the regular season ticket holders usually sitting next to us weren't there but had given them to a local large high school football coach and wife. Nice people. Interesting to hear his insight. Before MTSU ever snapped the ball in 4th down plays, two times, he said in exasperation, 'they are going to quick kick it why don't we send someone back.' Dang it, he was right as we watched the ball tumble untouched down the field. I asked him how he knew and he said the formation was a dead giveaway.

He was really disappointed in the receiver drops but also with ED's decision making. He mentioned tunnel vision, running too soon and east -west, looking only in one direction missing open secondary receivers, and keeping the ball on option plays himself rather than dumping it off. One of the few times he was animated was when ED didn't snap the ball to catch MTSU with too many players on the field. He also was disappointed in our RB's never opting to bouncing outside.

He gave quiet interesting commentary on some plays. He also was critical of a number of ref misses but also thought we benefitted from a few close calls too but made earlier in the game. We talked about the ridiculous number of reviews on clear cut calls that were causing 1 hour quarters. He was surprised and impressed by the defense until they 'ran out of gas'. His takes made it a more interesting game for me especially when looking at replays and seeing if what he thought he saw, was what really happened.

Agree with all of what he said 100%.

Dungey is a big-time problem with this offense. He hasn't gotten better and needs to quickly, or else it's time for another option.

WR's are average right now -- Ishmael can't get separation against decent CB's, and Custis is maddeningly inconsistent. Phillips needs the ball more as many people have said.

RB's are not very good -- might be the worst for an SU team in recent memory. Even when we were bad, we had a solid running back or two. Gulley, Brinkley, Rhodes.

Defense was outstanding in the first half -- gave the offense the ball a number of times, but they couldn't do anything with it.

The high school was large or the husband and wife were large.

Or the people sitting next to them.:p Maybe the comma edit will help in my original post?

The only additional thoughts I have is regarding the fanbase turning against Babers and spewing the vitriol I've seen online particularly towards the SU accounts. I hope the door hits you on the way out for turning on the program.

Shafer destroyed the foundation of the program. Syracuse has to be built from the ground up again. This includes recruiting, which Shafer wasn't good at. Including grad transfers, Babers is already bringing in a breed of player Shafer wouldn't be able to talk to. This is a very disappointing loss, but we need to step back from the ledge and take a breath. This is going to take time. There are going to be losses we think are unacceptable. There are going to be wins we didn't see coming (Virginia Tech). MTSU is not Akron. They are a successful mid major program having made multiple appearances in the last four years with a QB and receiver seen as pros. Relax.

The only additional thoughts I have is regarding the fanbase turning against Babers and spewing the vitriol I've seen online particularly towards the SU accounts. I hope the door hits you on the way out for turning on the program.

Shafer destroyed the foundation of the program. Syracuse has to be built from the ground up again. This includes recruiting, which Shafer wasn't good at. Including grad transfers, Babers is already bringing in a breed of player Shafer wouldn't be able to talk to. This is a very disappointing loss, but we need to step back from the ledge and take a breath. This is going to take time. There are going to be losses we think are unacceptable. There are going to be wins we didn't see coming (Virginia Tech). MTSU is not Akron. They are a successful mid major program having made multiple appearances in the last four years with a QB and receiver seen as pros. Relax.

I think you're posting in the wrong thread.

Love Dungey but agree his decision making was poor yesterday. Ran an option out of that weird elongated I at one point. RB (Moe?) was there for the pitch and could have walked in but Eric kept for a 2 yard gain. And we really need to take advantage od the 12 men on defense scenario. With our offense forcing hurried substitutions it would not take a football genius to devise a signal for a quick snap to draw he flag.

Damn Shaffer destroyed the program. A bit over the top to me, I thought more damage was done with the guy before that. It does need to rebuild and it's sad to here some fans spitting vitriol at Dino.

I worry at the performance yesterday, disturbingly lackluster. Next One up though and I love SU!

Damn Shaffer destroyed the program. A bit over the top to me, I thought more damage was done with the guy before that. It does need to rebuild and it's sad to here some fans spitting vitriol at Dino.

I worry at the performance yesterday, disturbingly lackluster. Next One up though and I love SU!
Shafer didn't destroy the program. Neither did the guy previous.

Shafer couldn't recruit and couldn't coach. At least in Greg Robinson's defense, he could get talent; just couldn't put it together. Already saw progress in Marrone's first year with the guys Greg brought in. By year two, they were a legit D1 team.

Shafer didn't destroy the program. Neither did the guy previous.

Agree that he did not destroy the program -- but he certainly didn't help it much, either.

When we made the move to the ACC, we needed to target a much higher level recruit. We did not.

And while I appreciate the guy's fire and 'family' style approach, his inability to hire productive assistant coaches and his puzzling decision making were more than enough reason to set him free.

He didn't destroy the program but he inherited a program that was heading in the right direction and after a promising first year, completely set it back.

Agree that he did not destroy the program -- but he certainly didn't help it much, either.

When we made the move to the ACC, we needed to target a much higher level recruit. We did not.

And while I appreciate the guy's fire and 'family' style approach, his inability to hire productive assistant coaches and his puzzling decision making were more than enough reason to set him free.

He didn't destroy the program but he inherited a program that was heading in the right direction and after a promising first year, completely set it back.
I'd really like to learn what SS's recruiting budget was. Would also like to know what DB's recruiting budget is. For that matter, who the @#$% has their tight-clasped little fists on the money bag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom