Adirondack High Peaks | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Adirondack High Peaks

We like Lisa G's restaurant too. Just outside the main village area.
I’ve heard that’s good but I don’t think I’ve ever been. Need to try it.

I was boozing in Placid when I went to NCCC and absolutely ate chit down iced over stairs near Lake Placid Pub and Brewery. I think my tailbone still has a dent.

Great Adirondack Brewing Company (used to be Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood) makes as good of a prime rib I've ever had and easily the best clam chowder.

If you're driving back south stop at Lakeview Deli in Saranac Lake and get a sandwich and some mac salad. Used to grab food there every weekend and everything I've had was really good.

If you find yourself drunk in SL go to Borracho Taco and get the ADK Chimichanga and thank me later.

I was boozing in Placid when I went to NCCC and absolutely ate chit down iced over stairs near Lake Placid Pub and Brewery. I think my tailbone still has a dent.

Great Adirondack Brewing Company (used to be Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood) makes as good of a prime rib I've ever had and easily the best clam chowder.

If you're driving back south stop at Lakeview Deli in Saranac Lake and get a sandwich and some mac salad. Used to grab food there every weekend and everything I've had was really good.

If you find yourself drunk in SL go to Borracho Taco and get the ADK Chimichanga and thank me later.
Saranac Lake is a cool town too. I haven’t spent much time there though. I mainly have stopped at Little Italy for lunch or dinner on my way up to Placid, and Blue Moon Cafe for breakfast on my way back home. Have always been happy with both of those stops, but should probably try something different.

I have had a beer or two once, and also dinner once at the Belvedere. Definitely a hole in the wall for the locals type of bar. Dinner was surprisingly solid.

Saranac Lake is a cool town too. I haven’t spent much time there though. I mainly have stopped at Little Italy for lunch or dinner on my way up to Placid, and Blue Moon Cafe for breakfast on my way back home. Have always been happy with both of those stops, but should probably try something different.

I have had a beer or two once, and also dinner once at the Belvedere. Definitely a hole in the wall for the locals type of bar. Dinner was surprisingly solid.
It was an interesting place to spend two years of college. I really enjoyed watching dudes who came up to hoop from Miami adjust to the winters.

It took me five minutes of looking at the menu and a map of SL before I remembered my dinner at the Belvedere. It was decent but if you're looking for anything more than basic bar food or pizza for dinner its better to just make the 15 minute drive to Placid haha

I'll vouch for Blue Moon though, its a solid breakfast spot. Went there any weekend my gf at the time or parents were visiting.

If you've never been, I'd suggest going up during the SL winter carnival when they build the ice castle by the lake. The bars are a good time and its a relatively cheap weekend trip. Just cold. Lol

There was a restaurant I ate at maybe 5-6 years ago, that was pretty good fare for the 'racks in Saranac Lake. It was off of route 3... had an upstairs and a veranda and besides the cute waitress, that's really all I recall about it, lol. Solid upscale americana food, and not that pricey. Just dumb luck that I happened to be hungry and stumbled onto it. There are a ton of mediocre high priced tourist traps up that way, so finding a good one, like that, was a nice way to end a day of hiking.

Just booked a room for Father's Day Weekend. Any idea if the regular Van Hoevenberg Mountain trail is open again? I think that would be a nice one to do with the fam.

Thinking of doing one of Pitchoff, Big Crow or Hurricane too (I know many would do both the same day, dont think we're there yet).

Also, assuming the black flies are out, what is the best way of combating them?

Don't go. ;)

#1 thing you'll want is a hat. If you can tolerate them, light hiking pants (vs shorts) are also recommended...

Honestly, I hate them. We watch Naked and Afraid and I know I couldnt make it more than a day anywhere humid because the insects would have me tapping out immediately. Those little buggers always end up in my eyes.

I guess it's a combination of long pants/sleeves. Does any insect repellent help? Will we need those mosquito net hats?

Edit: Figured I'd save people the aggravation of responding. Dealing With Black Flies In The Adirondacks

Last edited:
Honestly, I hate them. We watch Naked and Afraid and I know I couldnt make it more than a day anywhere humid because the insects would have me tapping out immediately. Those little buggers always end up in my eyes.

I guess it's a combination of long pants/sleeves. Does any insect repellent help? Will we need those mosquito net hats?

Edit: Figured I'd save people the aggravation of responding. Dealing With Black Flies In The Adirondacks

This is not helpful to you, but I got bit by a black fly on my lower lip in the Adirondacks one year. That was a painful one.

This is not helpful to you, but I got bit by a black fly on my lower lip in the Adirondacks one year. That was a painful one.
black flies and the gnarly ones that burrow into your skin with some sort of numbing secretion and leave a gaping bloody hole when they are done "sucking", always made me rethink plans to go to the racks until after July 4th, lol.

black flies and the gnarly ones that burrow into your skin with some sort of numbing secretion and leave a gaping bloody hole when they are done "sucking", always made me rethink plans to go to the racks until after July 4th, lol.

It's funny you wrote that. We had planned on an overnight Saturday in Lake Placid with a couple simple hikes- Big Crow and Mt. Vanhoevenberg. My older boy had the opportunity to play in a lacrosse tourney this upcoming weekend in Massachusetts, and the black flies gave me just enough pause to make a quick change in plans for the weekend.

We'll get up there a few times later this summer. ;)

Anyone been up there yet? Are the black flies gone? Can I go camping now?

Only made it as far north as Inlet, but the black flies seem to have made for the exits.

Late May was brutal up here...

Shot in the dark here. My dad has had the same Coleman canvas tent (similar to the picture below) since the early 70's. The zippers on the canvas door and the screen door have been broken for some time now, including ripped fabric. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where/how to repair them. Basically, the entire zipper lines would likely need to be removed and replaced. Any thoughts?

1624970176771.png

Shot in the dark here. My dad has had the same Coleman canvas tent (similar to the picture below) since the early 70's. The zippers on the canvas door and the screen door have been broken for some time now, including ripped fabric. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where/how to repair them. Basically, the entire zipper lines would likely need to be removed and replaced. Any thoughts?

View attachment 202887

How to mend a rip in a tent's fabric or seam

How to repair a tear in your tent

View attachment 202887
A seamstress might be able to but also try to google tent or zipper repair near you. I had one replaced a long time ago but can't recall who did it.

Yeah I'm definitely looking to pay someone to do this for me. A seamstress I am not haha. I couldn't find any tent/zipper repair places near me in a quick Google search. Maybe I should look in the Syracuse/Utica area.

I don't have any personal experience at these places, but they look promising.

Midtown Shoe & Repair​

Directions
Shoe repair shop in Solvay, New York

"Repaired zipper for a winter coat, fast and reasonable. Recommended."

Address: 1413 Milton Ave, Syracuse, NY 13209

anyone have experience with Lean-to's at John's Brook? You can reserve them, but they fit up to 8 people... so if I am reading it right, if I have a group of 3, other rando's can show up and join in our lean-to until the max of 8 is reached? That doesn't sound worth the risk, but If we want to hike the brothers/big slide, seems like a great location to camp.

anyone have experience with Lean-to's at John's Brook? You can reserve them, but they fit up to 8 people... so if I am reading it right, if I have a group of 3, other rando's can show up and join in our lean-to until the max of 8 is reached? That doesn't sound worth the risk, but If we want to hike the brothers/big slide, seems like a great location to camp.
I've used one of those lean-tos as a base camp in the past. This was prior to the reservation system but your assumption is correct- anyone can show up and "share" your lean to with you. Not sure how often this happens in practice- I've noticed that most people tend to move on when they see a lean-to is occupied. Note- always bring a tent with you, just in case.

As a base camp location, it's pretty hard to beat. You have (i) immediate access to some of the best climbs in the High Peaks; (ii) clean drinking water is (or was) available at the JBL, and (iii) the Brook is an excellent place to hang your bear trap at night to keep food safe.

Pro tip- if you camp there, head down to the brook at night. If you have a clear sky- stars like you have never seen before in your life.

I’ve been up to Old Forge/Inlet area a few times and Blue Mountain once in May/June this year and didn’t have any issues.

I've used one of those lean-tos as a base camp in the past. This was prior to the reservation system but your assumption is correct- anyone can show up and "share" your lean to with you. Not sure how often this happens in practice- I've noticed that most people tend to move on when they see a lean-to is occupied. Note- always bring a tent with you, just in case.

As a base camp location, it's pretty hard to beat. You have (i) immediate access to some of the best climbs in the High Peaks; (ii) clean drinking water is (or was) available at the JBL, and (iii) the Brook is an excellent place to hang your bear trap at night to keep food safe.

Pro tip- if you camp there, head down to the brook at night. If you have a clear sky- stars like you have never seen before in your life.
I didn’t realize there was a reservation system. When did that start?

I once camped out with a group of 5 in a lean-to near the Seward Range. We hiked out there(6 miles!) in the dark, and briefly paused in terror when we heard an animal growling. Turned out it was somebody’s dog from one of the nearby lean-to’s! One of them was already occupied, but the second one was open.

I didn’t realize there was a reservation system. When did that start?

I once camped out with a group of 5 in a lean-to near the Seward Range. We hiked out there(6 miles!) in the dark, and briefly paused in terror when we heard an animal growling. Turned out it was somebody’s dog from one of the nearby lean-to’s! One of them was already occupied, but the second one was open.

Link to Reservation System

Not sure when that started. When I used to camp out there, it was always "first come, first serve".

Some other time I'll tell the story of camping out by Lake Colden, a surprise visit from a bear, and a German shepherd. Quite a night.