Adirondack High Peaks | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Adirondack High Peaks

Anyone been up there yet? Are the black flies gone? Can I go camping now?
I was at Fish creek pond a couple of weeks ago. Bugs were non existent. Heading back there today for 5 days of camping

I was at Fish creek pond a couple of weeks ago. Bugs were non existent. Heading back there today for 5 days of camping
I’ll be at Rollins Pond in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it. Never camped that area before, any tips are appreciated!

I’ll be at Rollins Pond in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it. Never camped that area before, any tips are appreciated!
I really love Fish Creek. Over 300 sites right on the lake. Rollins Pond is a little hilly and tight for my tastes. Not as great views as Fish Creek either. All depends on taste. Of course I’m hauling a 30 foot glamper, so the more room for me to maneuver, the better.

speaking of camping... what are some of your favorite adk (dec) campgrounds for tent camping. Over the years I have been to quite a few, but Forked Lake is still my perennial favorite. Non built-up, secluded lake, with very private sites. A good deal of them are boat access only sites, which only adds to the beauty. Occasionally see bear or other wildlife, and often get serenaded by loons in the early morning. Exactly what you want from communing with nature, while not resorting to back-country camping.

speaking of camping... what are some of your favorite adk (dec) campgrounds for tent camping. Over the years I have been to quite a few, but Forked Lake is still my perennial favorite. Non built-up, secluded lake, with very private sites. A good deal of them are boat access only sites, which only adds to the beauty. Occasionally see bear or other wildlife, and often get serenaded by loons in the early morning. Exactly what you want from communing with nature, while not resorting to back-country camping.

We go to Golden Beach on Raquette Lake every year. I love it there, although it’s best to know the grounds before you choose your site. Some are right on top of each other while others offer more privacy.

We go to Golden Beach on Raquette Lake every year. I love it there, although it’s best to know the grounds before you choose your site. Some are right on top of each other while others offer more privacy.
When I camped (sometimes tent and sometimes trailer) we did Golden Beach. The first time ever was in the main area as you come in. Sites were crowded and loud neighbors. The next time we went a little way in to a more secluded spot but still close to the beach. Turned out great. The beach itself is great and was pretty much unmonitored when I was there.

I have done Limekiln (big and some good water spots), Nick's Lake , Brown's Tract Pond (great spots on the dirt road if you don't mind outhouses), Lake Durant, Moffitt Beach, Lake Harris. I think it was Lake Harris that had a sort of little "private" unofficial beach that was nice.

Limekiln was great when the Ole Barn was rocking back in the 80s.

When I camped (sometimes tent and sometimes trailer) we did Golden Beach. The first time ever was in the main area as you come in. Sites were crowded and loud neighbors. The next time we went a little way in to a more secluded spot but still close to the beach. Turned out great. The beach itself is great and was pretty much unmonitored when I was there.

I have done Limekiln (big and some good water spots), Nick's Lake , Brown's Tract Pond (great spots on the dirt road if you don't mind outhouses), Lake Durant, Moffitt Beach, Lake Harris. I think it was Lake Harris that had a sort of little "private" unofficial beach that was nice.

As a kid, that main area was always the “party road.” Seemed like it was mostly people renting 2 or 3 sites together and drinking all day/night.

As a kid, that main area was always the “party road.” Seemed like it was mostly people renting 2 or 3 sites together and drinking all day/night.
Yeah, I realized I screwed up on site selection as soon as we got there. But we did get a chance to pick out the right one for the next year.

Last edited:
My family has camped at 8th Lake just down the road pretty much every year of my life. Last year was the only year that I can remember them not being there, and one of the only years I didn't go. Spending a week there to detox from all of the craziness in our lives added to the surreality of 2020.

We did stay at Limekiln for a few days, though. I was able to find Amelanchier bartramiana, a poorly-known serviceberry, around some of the sites on the water. It's very common in the Moose River Plains.

My family has camped at 8th Lake just down the road pretty much every year of my life. Last year was the only year that I can remember them not being there, and one of the only years I didn't go. Spending a week there to detox from all of the craziness in our lives added to the surreality of 2020.

We did stay at Limekiln for a few days, though. I was able to find Amelanchier bartramiana, a poorly-known serviceberry, around some of the sites on the water. It's very common in the Moose River Plains.
Most importantly is that both are down the road from Kalil's in Inlet which has a good beer selection and deli. 8th Lake is one of the few in that area I haven't camped at ...except for a single night on the way up further north.

Most importantly is that both are down the road from Kalil's in Inlet which has a good beer selection and deli. 8th Lake is one of the few in that area I haven't camped at ...except for a single night on the way up further north.
We usually try to get a few sites at the beginning of the 7th Lake loop. Agree with Kalil's! It's kind of nice that the 7th/8th Lake campground area sits within a dead zone, although if you kayak out to the sandbar on 7th there is usually a weak cell signal. My brother proposed to his fiancee on that sandbar.

Was it my imagination, or did I have 5G in Inlet a couple weeks ago?

Was it my imagination, or did I have 5G in Inlet a couple weeks ago?
Not sure. I was up there last summer...rented a place on 2nd Lake and they had WiFi. The tent days are not an option for my wife any longer... ever since one of our tents blew away in a windy storm. We got a trailer and it was great but then travel softball hit (daughter) and we just didn't have enough time to justify keeping it. Still considering getting another post softball.

Limekiln - though that was always known for bears, so not always crazy about a tent there, lol.

Nicks and Brown Tract are great too, agreed.

Heading way up, north of Saranac Lake i enjoyed Buck Pond. And there’s another one nearby at Lake Kushaqua, that was even better than Buck - lots of large sites with your own space, nice body of water, a nice beach at one point.

Had a great time in Lake Placid this past weekend. Played 18 at Craig Wood. Stopped into Big Slide Brewery for lunch and a couple beers. The wedding ceremony and reception were at Whiteface Club & Resort, which is really beautiful. I wish I had taken more pictures. Need to go back up when I don't have anything scheduled to do. Here's a pic I took of Whiteface from deck of the reception venue.

0045E902-8406-43C7-A91B-3E843F4D5FD4.jpeg

Had a great time in Lake Placid this past weekend. Played 18 at Craig Wood. Stopped into Big Slide Brewery for lunch and a couple beers. The wedding ceremony and reception were at Whiteface Club & Resort, which is really beautiful. I wish I had taken more pictures. Need to go back up when I don't have anything scheduled to do. Here's a pic I took of Whiteface from deck of the reception venue.

View attachment 203483
I was also up there this past weekend and had lunch and some beers at Big Slide! Also spent some time at the Cottage, and at night stopped in the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery.

View attachment 203483
18 holes of golf and lunch at Big Slide sounds like a d@mn perfect weekend up there, will done...

I was also up there this past weekend and had lunch and some beers at Big Slide! Also spent some time at the Cottage, and at night stopped in the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery.

Nice! We tried to go to Lake Placid Pub & Brewery Thursday night, but it was over an hour wait. Not doable with an 11 month old. Maybe next time.

Nice! We tried to go to Lake Placid Pub & Brewery Thursday night, but it was over an hour wait. Not doable with an 11 month old. Maybe next time.
Yeah, we just went to the bar around 10 or so for a nightcap on both Friday and Saturday. They redid that downstairs bar since the last time I’d been there(probably 2 years ago), which made it bigger.

Had some family reunion events in Saranac Lake, so was back and forth between the two towns all weekend.

Did the Dix Range last week. Went up the slide on Macomb, over to South Dix and Grace, then over to Hough, The Beckhorn and Dix. Endless descent down the Beckhorn trail, but a great day. Sunny and low 70s. My wife and I stayed at Elk Lake Lodge for the night instead of a lean to or camp site as a treat

Did the Dix Range last week. Went up the slide on Macomb, over to South Dix and Grace, then over to Hough, The Beckhorn and Dix. Endless descent down the Beckhorn trail, but a great day. Sunny and low 70s. My wife and I stayed at Elk Lake Lodge for the night instead of a lean to or camp site as a treat
Nice! I’m going to assume I did that the same way because “endless descent” is exactly what stands out.

I remember after finishing the 5th peak feeling pretty great. Like, alright we got 5 peaks in and I’m not even that tired and the views are incredible! Had a great time to that point

But that descent...wow! Was I ever miserable by the end. It just wouldn’t end and you were constantly on rocks where you had to really watch your step the whole time. My knees and feet were just cooked by the last couple miles. Mentally exhausting too.

Made me wish we had camped out, out there. Then doing the descent and coming out the next day when fresh would’ve been no big deal.

Limekiln - though that was always known for bears, so not always crazy about a tent there, lol.

Nicks and Brown Tract are great too, agreed.

Heading way up, north of Saranac Lake i enjoyed Buck Pond. And there’s another one nearby at Lake Kushaqua, that was even better than Buck - lots of large sites with your own space, nice body of water, a nice beach at one point.
I’m camping at Nicks Lake right now. First time ever. Very wooded, and sites are well spread out. I’m in loop A

Did you like Rollins Pond?

Big Slide is a nice brew pub, I just didn’t like any of their beers

They had a solid American IPA on tap when I went. Nice to see, since so many breweries seem to just be producing NEIPA’s lately. Not that I dislike those, but I like a good American IPA here and there too.