Adirondack High Peaks | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Adirondack High Peaks

Going up to hike Thursday and thinking of doing Sawteeth, Gothics, and Armstrong. Also gotta go over Pyramid which doesn’t count as one of the 46 because it’s too close to Gothics, I believe.

What I am struggling with is reading about how dangerous the Beaver Meadow trail is, coming down from Armstrong. Anyone got experience with this? Could I just backtrack and go back over Gothics and Pyramid a second time to get back to the Weld Trail to get back down and avoid Beaver Meadow? Or would that be way too much climbing?
Beaver Meadow would include Upper Wolf Jaw, right?

Keep in mind that Armstrong "should" be a part of Gothics, like Pyramid. So, to backtrack will not add up the elevation. 240 feet I believe to go out to Armstrong and come back to Gothics. I haven't been to Pyramid, though, or Sawteeth. I'm sure Pyramid's great!

Going up to hike Thursday and thinking of doing Sawteeth, Gothics, and Armstrong. Also gotta go over Pyramid which doesn’t count as one of the 46 because it’s too close to Gothics, I believe.

What I am struggling with is reading about how dangerous the Beaver Meadow trail is, coming down from Armstrong. Anyone got experience with this? Could I just backtrack and go back over Gothics and Pyramid a second time to get back to the Weld Trail to get back down and avoid Beaver Meadow? Or would that be way too much climbing?
I have done all of the above peaks but not at the same time. I don't recall the Beaver Meadow trail being dangerous or much different than the Weld trail. I do recall Sawteeth being more challenging than I expected and the up down up down from Gothics to over Pyramid to be strenuous. I had planned to do Sawteeth with Gothics but decided against it after Pyramid. I saved Sawteeth for a one peak trip.

Has anyone been up Colden via Avalanche Pass and the trap dyke? Curious how technical a climb that is, and if It's better to just start at the Elk Lake trailhead. and avoid it.

I have done all of the above peaks but not at the same time. I don't recall the Beaver Meadow trail being dangerous or much different than the Weld trail. I do recall Sawteeth being more challenging than I expected and the up down up down from Gothics to over Pyramid to be strenuous. I had planned to do Sawteeth with Gothics but decided against it after Pyramid. I saved Sawteeth for a one peak trip.
Hmm. That is also an option - splitting it into two days.

I was reading people complaining about how Beaver Meadow gets really steep when you’re first going down, and now it needs more ladders than it has.

Beaver Meadow would include Upper Wolf Jaw, right?

Keep in mind that Armstrong "should" be a part of Gothics, like Pyramid. So, to backtrack will not add up the elevation. 240 feet I believe to go out to Armstrong and come back to Gothics. I haven't been to Pyramid, though, or Sawteeth. I'm sure Pyramid's great!
From looking at the map, it could include Upper Wolf Jaw, but doesn’t have to.

Has anyone been up Colden via Avalanche Pass and the trap dyke? Curious how technical a climb that is, and if It's better to just start at the Elk Lake trailhead. and avoid it.
I did Colden from the Upper Works Trail. I’m not sure how many ways there are to do Colden, but one of the guys I hiked with remembered the previous way he’d hiked Colden years earlier being “easier” than the way we did it from Upper Works.

I've done 35 of the peaks and Colden via the trap dike is far and away my favorite. It's not for young kids and people under 5'5" or so will have trouble reaching hand holds when climbing the scree but if you do it from the Loj you pass Avalanche Lake (beautiful!) and walk on the "hitch up Matilda's". Unforgettable!
The Adirondacks, New York: Mountain Wilderness, Rivers and Fine Wines
Avalanche Lake - Adirondacks, New York - My Life Outdoors

I've done 35 of the peaks and Colden via the trap dike is far and away my favorite. It's not for young kids and people under 5'5" or so will have trouble reaching hand holds when climbing the scree but if you do it from the Loj you pass Avalanche Lake (beautiful!) and walk on the "hitch up Matilda's". Unforgettable!
The Adirondacks, New York: Mountain Wilderness, Rivers and Fine Wines
Avalanche Lake - Adirondacks, New York - My Life Outdoors
True about the 5'5" height but then again they may be more comfortable on the slide than someone who is say, 6'4". That is one of my favorites too.

I did Upper Wolf Jaw and Armstong together.
I already did both Wolf Jaws together, but came in a different way. I remember walking up a dry creek bed that gradually went up. That was a neat hike.

Thinking of seeing if I can grab Street and Nye while I’m up there too. It’s supposedly only a 5-6 hour day?

Thinking of seeing if I can grab Street and Nye while I’m up there too. It’s supposedly only a 5-6 hour day?
make sure you bring water shoes, the water crossing this year is super high, and just assume you'll be in water up to your knees.

Hmm. That is also an option - splitting it into two days.

I was reading people complaining about how Beaver Meadow gets really steep when you’re first going down, and now it needs more ladders than it has.
Could be. You know how it goes. When in the thick of it, it is a pain. When you finish it was all great.

From looking at the map, it could include Upper Wolf Jaw, but doesn’t have to.
You're right, should have looked at a map. And it does look like quite a climb back up Gothics. Maybe 1200 feet from Armstrong col back up to Gothics. And actually Beaver Meadows comes out of that Gothics/Armstrong col.

You're right, should have looked at a map. And it does look like quite a climb back up Gothics. Maybe 1200 feet from Armstrong col back up to Gothics. And actually Beaver Meadows comes out of that Gothics/Armstrong col.
Yeah, I’ll see how it feels after getting to Armstrong, but will probably just take Beaver Meadows. Take it slow, and be careful. I don’t mind long days and working ridiculously hard out there, but like to avoid anything treacherous if possible, but it seems to be the most common way and if all these other people have done it, I can do it.

Annnnd, now it might rain Thursday. So maybe I’ll just go to the bars instead. Lol.

I take that back on 1200 vertical back up Gothics, since I tripled it thinking I was looking at 40 meter contours instead of 40 foot contours. So its only 400 feet back up Gothics, so doable. Sorry about that.

Looking for recommendations for tent camping as a base camp for some high peaks. Not necessarily looking for lean-tos or trail camping, but a nice quiet DEC campground to recharge after a long day on the trails. Not looking for a place with tons of RV's or a ton of facilities, thinking more like Forked Lake in terms of privacy and amenities.

Looking for recommendations for tent camping as a base camp for some high peaks. Not necessarily looking for lean-tos or trail camping, but a nice quiet DEC campground to recharge after a long day on the trails. Not looking for a place with tons of RV's or a ton of facilities, thinking more like Forked Lake in terms of privacy and amenities.

MEADOWBROOK PUBLIC CAMPGROUND​

maybe not exactly as scenic as you want but the location is great for Lake Placid and High Peaks. I stayed there once a long time ago after doing one of the first triathlons up there. It was about 1/2 an ironman well before the current iron man there was established. I was spent so it didn't matter much where I stayed.

Last minute decision - ran up and grabbed Street and Nye today since it was only going to take 51/2 hours. Good first hike of the year. The Brook crossing wasn’t bad. I probably could’ve found a spot to rock hop, but on the way in I just wanted to try out my new water shoes, and on the way out I just wanted to clean myself off.

Lots of mud on and off, but nothing too bad. After the Santanoni’s nothing is too bad.

Loved the Brook and hiking near the stream for the beginning parts of the ascent, and the weather was perfect. No real views up top, but a scenic hike throughout. First time I’ve ever gone solo, as everyone I know that hikes has already done these. Was slightly worried going out solo because it’s unmarked, but it couldn’t have been easier. And the AllTrails app is really incredible - shows you exactly where the trail is as you’re hiking. Never knew that.

The adrenaline in me says I’m getting up and doing Sawteeth, but I stabbed my foot with a sharp root when wedging it between a rock and root, banged my knee on…something, I don’t remember, and May have obliterated my big toenail with a stupid root and pain is kicking in, in all 3 spots so we’ll see what the morning brings, lol.

what's everyone's favorite daypack? in the market and a bit overwhelmed by the options lol.

what's everyone's favorite daypack? in the market and a bit overwhelmed by the options lol.
I think you have 3 types of packs that qualify.

1. A very light pack with no structure that can pack away. Usually cheap. Usually about 20-25L. Absolutely fine if youre taking water, snacks and a rain jacket.

2. A heavier duty 20-25L pack like the osprey above. Better if you’re carrying for 2 people or carrying something larger like a camera with lenses.

3. A 35L pack for carrying things for 2 people + kids or if you’re bringing a ton of stuff for some reason or could carry for overnights.

Osprey or Gregory has something for everyone. LL bean and REI also has quality options. Honestly, can’t go wrong with day packs, there is isn’t much to them.

I have an osprey daylight, it does everything I need if I’m carrying for me and my wife in summer. I have it because it can attach to my larger osprey multi night pack, which is a bonus.

Also have one of these which is appropriate for almost anything and has classic good looks too, if that matter to you: Hiking Backpacks | Outdoor Equipment at L.L.Bean

I'm heading up to Raquette Lake on Thursday for my annual family camping trip. I'm pretty bummed that I'm not recovered enough to do any substantial hiking. Anyone have any recommendations on any scenic spots to check out in the area that don't require much hiking? Maybe even a good spot to drop a kayak in the water?