Adirondack High Peaks | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Adirondack High Peaks

Climbed Mount Marshall from Upper Works yesterday. My first time up there since the state blocked off the last quarter mile of the road last in the summer as an educational district (my words) on the old mining town ruins that are there. Its actually pretty interesting- but my tired legs didn’t appreciate the extra distance ;).

What was interesting is that our small group of three never saw another soul on the trail the entire day. Only 2-3 cars in the parking lot. I know it was a Monday but wow, surprised how quiet it was.

Anyone who might be planning a holiday hike from there- trail was completely broken out, even past where we turned up Herbert Brook….
How much snow on the ground?

Climbed Mount Marshall from Upper Works yesterday. My first time up there since the state blocked off the last quarter mile of the road last in the summer as an educational district (my words) on the old mining town ruins that are there. Its actually pretty interesting- but my tired legs didn’t appreciate the extra distance ;).

What was interesting is that our small group of three never saw another soul on the trail the entire day. Only 2-3 cars in the parking lot. I know it was a Monday but wow, surprised how quiet it was.

Anyone who might be planning a holiday hike from there- trail was completely broken out, even past where we turned up Herbert Brook….
Do you listen to the 46 of 46 podcast? The host just posted an episode about a plane crash near mount Marshall at cold brook pass.

Do you listen to the 46 of 46 podcast? The host just posted an episode about a plane crash near mount Marshall at cold brook pass.
I did not! Honestly I had never heard of that plane crash but just read up on it. Quite a story, that guy is (was) lucky to be alive.

I searched for the wreckage on Wright a few years back but unfortunately couldn’t find it, high winds and poor visibility did not help…

I did not! Honestly I had never heard of that plane crash but just read up on it. Quite a story, that guy is (was) lucky to be alive.

I searched for the wreckage on Wright a few years back but unfortunately couldn’t find it, high winds and poor visibility did not help…
There is not a lot of wreckage left on Wright...just a scattering metal parts that I saw.

I think we are going to try to knock out Wright this spring/summer. Likely will leave Algonquin for another day. If its rainy or slick, we just do Van Hoevenburg instead.

Anyone here hiked from the Loj in the last month? Wondering what crowds are like on most winter Saturdays so far this year...

Anyone know anything about a campfire ban near the lean-to’s that are near the peaks?

Been hearing rumors of that, and hoping it’s not true! Last time I did some overnight camping and peaks(5-6 years ago), we had a fire at night and in the morning to heat up the water for our meals. Also it was cool to sit around it in the evening before bed - and though it didn’t help a ton, it was a worth a shot to fry my soaked boots next to it.

Planning some overnight hikes soon, and it would be a major bummer if we can’t have a fire.

Anyone know anything about a campfire ban near the lean-to’s that are near the peaks?

Been hearing rumors of that, and hoping it’s not true! Last time I did some overnight camping and peaks(5-6 years ago), we had a fire at night and in the morning to heat up the water for our meals. Also it was cool to sit around it in the evening before bed - and though it didn’t help a ton, it was a worth a shot to fry my soaked boots next to it.

Planning some overnight hikes soon, and it would be a major bummer if we can’t have a fire.
  • Eastern High Peaks Zone – NO CAMPFIRES including wood burning stoves and any type of use of wood as fuel
  • Western High Peaks Zone – NO CAMPFIRES above 4,000 feet
  • Western High Peaks Zone – Campfires permitted 150 feet from any road, trail, spring, stream, pond or other body of water OR at a primitive tent site or lean-to site

• Eastern High Peaks Zone – NO CAMPFIRES including wood burning stoves and any type of use of wood as fuel
  • Western High Peaks Zone – NO CAMPFIRES above 4,000 feet
  • Western High Peaks Zone – Campfires permitted 150 feet from any road, trail, spring, stream, pond or other body of water OR at a primitive tent site or lean-to site
We’re western, so we’re all good!

We’re western, so we’re all good!
Not high peaks, but this is why we can’t have nice things. it’s like 15 feet from the water. Put it out, people.

1660145904620.png

Not high peaks, but this is why we can’t have nice things. it’s like 15 feet from the water. Put it out, people.

View attachment 218845
Smh. Amazing. In a bad way.

Though you get the party animal scrubs who don’t even really like nature at those types of places.

If you’re camping out 6 miles into the High peaks….you ain’t there to party,

Was thinking of doing Street and Nye soon - possibly next Saturday? Anyone parked at/near the Loj recently? Just curious how packed it’s been?

I haven’t done any peaks in that area in 5+ years. Curious if I show up at 6 AM next Saturday - am I getting a parking spot?

weekends are tough especially if the weather is good. I would say 5 for the loj (although you might get lucky since it's after labor day). If you don't get parking in the lot, ppl park on the loooooong road to the loj... so there will be parking, but you might need to add 1-2 miles onto your hike to hoof it to/from your car.

Not the High Peaks, but we had our annual family camping trip at Golden Beach on Raquette Lake a few weeks back. The sunsets there outdo themselves each year. Took this shot on the first night:

300459342_10100851196627561_8309165205684727698_n.jpg

Not the High Peaks, but we had our annual family camping trip at Golden Beach on Raquette Lake a few weeks back. The sunsets there outdo themselves each year. Took this shot on the first night:

Biggest and nicest beach in the Adirondacks!

weekends are tough especially if the weather is good. I would say 5 for the loj (although you might get lucky since it's after labor day). If you don't get parking in the lot, ppl park on the loooooong road to the loj... so there will be parking, but you might need to add 1-2 miles onto your hike to hoof it to/from your car.
Yes, weekdays are the way to go if you can swing it. In the fall, you can do pretty well given kids are back in school.

I was also there a few weeks ago and got some great sunset photos. That beach was amazing.

Did the Santanonis with a couple of friends a week ago today. Really nice weather and some great views with the valleys close to peak, but man that was a slog. Did them clockwise- up Santanoni, over to Panther, then Couch, and down from Times Square. If I ever do it again, which I won't haha, I would do counter clockwise as that descent is a little treacherous along the stream, and I would have done it in late August. I have heard about Sanatnoni mud for a long time and it did not disappoint. There was an approximate 100 ft crossing through an alpine bog going to couch that was impossible not to get wet. Glad I got them done, but it is a tie between the Sewards and Santanonis for places in the Adirondacks I will never visit again

Did the Santanonis with a couple of friends a week ago today. Really nice weather and some great views with the valleys close to peak, but man that was a slog. Did them clockwise- up Santanoni, over to Panther, then Couch, and down from Times Square. If I ever do it again, which I won't haha, I would do counter clockwise as that descent is a little treacherous along the stream, and I would have done it in late August. I have heard about Sanatnoni mud for a long time and it did not disappoint. There was an approximate 100 ft crossing through an alpine bog going to couch that was impossible not to get wet. Glad I got them done, but it is a tie between the Sewards and Santanonis for places in the Adirondacks I will never visit again
I love the fall up there but hiking through the fallen leaves always ends up with me turning an ankle not being able to see what is underneath.

Ha, yup! I remember that bog very well. Santanonis - easily my least favorite so far.

I didn’t mind Sewards but we broke it up into 3 days. Easy 5-6(I think?) mile hike out on Friday. Got up and knocked off 3 of them on Saturday, and then hung out and had a fire and enjoyed the evening. Hiked Seymour on Sunday and then hiked out of there.

When you break it up like that, it’s never too bad.

Ha, yup! I remember that bog very well. Santanonis - easily my least favorite so far.

I didn’t mind Sewards but we broke it up into 3 days. Easy 5-6(I think?) mile hike out on Friday. Got up and knocked off 3 of them on Saturday, and then hung out and had a fire and enjoyed the evening. Hiked Seymour on Sunday and then hiked out of there.

When you break it up like that, it’s never too bad.
That’s what we should have done with the sewards, but we stayed on Coreys Rd so we had a full cooler. Did Seymour day 1, hiked out and then did the other 3. Really wet day early fall last year

was planning on doing the Brothers and Big Slide this weekend, I saw pics from my buddies yesterday who went up and it was peak. Question, on avg. how long does peak last in the keene valley area? I know some places (old forge area to Blue MTn.) are already past peak (colors fading after maybe 1 day of peak). Also not having experience at the Garden lot what is the latest folks would attempt a spot there? Is 5:30 too late? Thanks for any/all tips. Will save this hike for next year if it will be past peak, and attempt another 46'er instead.

Last edited:
Going up to hike Thursday and thinking of doing Sawteeth, Gothics, and Armstrong. Also gotta go over Pyramid which doesn’t count as one of the 46 because it’s too close to Gothics, I believe.

What I am struggling with is reading about how dangerous the Beaver Meadow trail is, coming down from Armstrong. Anyone got experience with this? Could I just backtrack and go back over Gothics and Pyramid a second time to get back to the Weld Trail to get back down and avoid Beaver Meadow? Or would that be way too much climbing?