Adjusting the Ceiling | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Adjusting the Ceiling

That's why I'm trying to enjoy this while I can. Nothing last forever.

Yep, and in college football, not much lasts very long either. Just think about it, had SU beat Clemson like we should have, who knows what happens with the rest of their season. It's easy to say now, but that would have been rough, much worse than last year's defeat in the carrier dome. College football is fickle.

Yep, and in college football, not much lasts very long either. Just think about it, had SU beat Clemson like we should have, who knows what happens with the rest of their season. It's easy to say now, but that would have been rough, much worse than last year's defeat in the carrier dome. College football is fickle.
If you guys would have won I still think Clemson would be where they are now. Syracuse is probably in the driver's seat in the ACC but nothing changes for Clemson.

I try not to think about it, but the real ceiling is on the athletics budget.

If you guys would have won I still think Clemson would be where they are now. Syracuse is probably in the driver's seat in the ACC but nothing changes for Clemson.

I know you think that, which is half my point. I don't blame you, I'd be the same way in your shoes, I'm sure. It's half delusional at times, but it all works out. Hell, it literally took me 10 years to realize (during the early 2000's) that we sucked. Even during the GRob years, I was thinking a bowl season was just around the corner after only collecting a single victory for the season.

I am 48, and a life long fan. I have always believed that at our finest, we would be a perrenial 8 or 9 win team, with the occasional 10 win season, and every once in while a 59 or 87 happens. And I’m still okay with that. A loss or two a year makes the special seasons even better. Think of the fun 87 was. Think of how great it is when we go to the final four. If you do it every year, it’s not as fun I imagine. Does that make sense? That’s just me.

I've always said that Syracuse could never become a 9+ wins per year kind of team. Heck in our "heyday" between 81-2004 (the Coach Mac and P years), we only managed 10 wins 4 times. Throw in the fact that we're in one of the toughest division, and lagging on resources compared to peer schools, attendance issues, and recruiting limitations, and a perennial 9+ wins seemed like a pipe dream. I was going to be happy to be a team that won 6+ every year, and got a bowl game. Maybe some years finish in the top 25. That was how I viewed our ceiling.
Now? We're only in year 3 of Babers. Despite the fact that we haven't improved recruiting drastically, despite the fact that we have no traditional running game, and despite the fact that our defense gets picked apart like a bloated zebra carcass on the Serengeti, we have a legit shot at 9, even 10 wins this year. Yes, the down ACC year certainly helped us, but remember, this cake isn't done baking. Our defense will improve. So much young talent, it's hard to imagine it won't. Our running game will improve. Adams, Howard, and Neal next year is exciting. That's really going to allow Tommy to shred the secondary. Although I just don't see our recruiting ever really becoming dramatically different, I do think we can get into that 25-35 range. I think Dino and his staff have a real eye for identifying offensive talent to fit his scheme despite what the ranking services may say. That's more important.
So if we're looking at a 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, type of season this year with our half baked cake, why can't we be a perennial top 10, 9 to 11 wins per year kind of team when everything is done cooking?
The Ceeling is the Roof . Duh!

You lurk for 3 years, only to drop this gem on us?
Never meant to lurk. Friends recommended the forum a while ago based on my lifelong unhealthy obsession with Cuse sports, but never felt compelled to contribute as most of my views were represented in one way or another. Figured I should get involved at some point - clearly it went well.

All I meant was I have doubts that we can ever really compete money/facility-wise considering the way recruiting and the game in general has evolved. The “northeast private school” narrative exists for a reason.

FWIW, lifelong fan, (nearly) lifelong resident, and Bryce Bevill forcing that touchback against OU is the exact moment I learned to love SU football AND prepare for disappointment.

Sorry to interrupt.

Never meant to lurk. Friends recommended the forum a while ago based on my lifelong unhealthy obsession with Cuse sports, but never felt compelled to contribute as most of my views were represented in one way or another. Figured I should get involved at some point - clearly it went well.

All I meant was I have doubts that we can ever really compete money/facility-wise considering the way recruiting and the game in general has evolved. The “northeast private school” narrative exists for a reason.

FWIW, lifelong fan, (nearly) lifelong resident, and Bryce Bevill forcing that touchback against OU is the exact moment I learned to love SU football AND prepare for disappointment.

Sorry to interrupt.
Please feel free to join in the conversation. Don't be a stranger.

Sorry to interrupt.
Sorry if I made you feel unwelcome. Sometimes my sarcasm would be helped with ;) emoji. Apologies.

Sorry if I made you feel unwelcome. Sometimes my sarcasm would be helped with ;) emoji. Apologies.
Mine too, trust me! To be fair, I should have explained myself better when coming out of nowhere to post. This season has short-circuited my brain (even further).

Sorry to interrupt.

Please continue to post. We could always use new blood and fresh perspectives. rather than my nonsense another 11,000 times.

Please continue to post. We could always use new blood and fresh perspectives. rather than my nonsense another 11,000 times.
So, you're claiming the other 104 posts weren't nonsense?
1541175565733.gif

Fresh nonsense might just be my specialty.

Must be a sad life, If what you worry about is spell checking on an Internet forum.
I didn't need a spell check. I used my giant brain.
Relax man...it's just a goof. Nothing should be taken too seriously on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom