ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021" | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021"

He won 10 games in a single season
Marrone left for the NFL.
Shafer didn’t even deserve the job.
He got hired to continue Marrone’s program and was completely in over his head as a P5 program HC.

I think Dino has to go 6-6 next year to keep his job but I wouldn’t compare the time to Shafer.
My post was solely About him saying babers will have double the NFL players

But that really is all a HC needs to make a Bowl. Having a .333 win % in your 9 P5 games and then win your 3 cupcakes gets you 6 Ws. Too many people are acting like that is difficult, and are making excuses for Dino.

Yeah it's so easy that 4 coaches have done at Syracuse for a total of 4 times in 15 years. OK. Sooner or later you need to take a deeper look at just the coach. Go HIRE Joe Blow he will turn this around!! He's the man!!! 3-4 years later right in same spot. It's a hamster wheel

And 2 times since entering the ACC 8 years ago but hey it's easy from your point of view. OK. Kind of looks like it isn't, IMO. Every coach we have had just seems to stink from what I read on this forum and I am not making excuses for anybody, just looks like we may need to take a different approach than continuing to hire and fire

Last edited:
Then draw the line on the last class.

Besides, how many NFL kids did shafer and marrone have?

We have had this discussion ad nauseum though.

Marrone couldn't recruit but was far an away the best developer of talent (that tag includes the entire staff.)

Shafer recruited a couple of high end kids but the bottoms fell out of his middle and low end. Half his classes were D1AA. Which he passed on to Babers. In terms of staff player development, I think it was somewhere in the middle. Below Marrone, but above the Babers staff.

Babers has far and away recruited the best but might be the worst in terms of player development. imo, the WR and OL coaches have been terrible at player development and he made a major major blunder in hiring Martin to coach QBs. That single move - imo - could have been the undoing of the program. When Lewis left he needed to go find a top shelf QB coach. That set us back 2 years. (in both development and recruiting.)
Great post spot on.

What does this prove? It does not take a genius coach to recruit players. So why then is Babers at the low end of recruiting?

Keep seeing this pop up too. 1st caveat: Recruiting can always be better, unless you're Clemson. Actually, I bet you could go to their board right now and find a position group they are not excited about because 'cruiting could be better or they missed on a guy.

Is Babers on the low end of recruiting? Not compared to Syracuse HC's.

HCAvg # of 4* who made it to campusNational Rank Avg (based on quality and quantity)ACC Rank Avg (if applicable)Average Rating
Dino Babers 0.456.410.80.8422
Scott Shafer06112.30.8223
Doug Marrone0.2559.3N/A0.8145
Greg Robinson154N/A0.8044

Keep seeing this pop up too. 1st caveat: Recruiting can always be better, unless you're Clemson. Actually, I bet you could go to their board right now and find a position group they are not excited about because 'cruiting could be better or they missed on a guy.

Is Babers on the low end of recruiting? Not compared to Syracuse HC's.

HCAvg # of 4* who made it to campusNational Rank Avg (based on quality and quantity)ACC Rank Avg (if applicable)Average Rating
Dino Babers0.456.410.80.8422
Scott Shafer06112.30.8223
Doug Marrone0.2559.3N/A0.8145
Greg Robinson154N/A0.8044

I honestly think GERG Was the best recruiter of the 4. Obvioulsly lacking in other areas!!!

That's such a BS stat to try and make excuses for babers, this years schedule was 62nd in the country, who cares what the schedule ranks compared to 2000 and whatever. We play in the ACC not the SEC West, take off clemson and if we don't get ND in the OOC our schedule is not all that difficult, a new team every year it seems in the ACC has a good year but besides that it's nothing all that difficult. Besides UNC ND Clemson what was so hard about this years schedule, that's 3 games. In a normal year that's as hard of a schedule that we're gonna get. I cannot believe people are trying to excuse DB's utter failure by saying we play too tough a schedule LOL, maybe if we had south carolinas schedule.

Yeah, you should check that #62. I think you cited a boondoggle.

I mean, you should care what the schedule ranks. Unless you think the best team in the MAC would win the ACC - *you* already believe that SoS matters. We didn't get to play the weak end of our schedule this year and replaced them with ND and UNC? You saying that won't make a difference?!

And just to prove I'm not bending the stats to make Dino only look good:

YearSoSSoS RankRecord
20206.33#61-10
20181.30#5710-3

Dick Vermeil helped recommend Nassib to Gerg.
Gerg also outworked schools for Delone Carter.

He wasn’t a bad recruiter, he was just literally the worst coach ever.

Gerg left Marrone with a foundation.

Gerg left Marrone with a few pieces of a foundation, Doug built the foundation after tearing the whole thing apart. Marrone left Shafer a foundation and those Gerg pieces were gone which to me was the top end talent

Last edited:
I honestly think GERG Was the best recruiter of the 4. Obvioulsly lacking in other areas!!!

Yeah - I agree. He got better top end talent, but his average recruit was less than Dino's. He whiffed on the "underbelly" of the team.

In
Then draw the line on the last class.

Besides, how many NFL kids did shafer and marrone have?

We have had this discussion ad nauseum though.

Marrone couldn't recruit but was far an away the best developer of talent (that tag includes the entire staff.)

Shafer recruited a couple of high end kids but the bottoms fell out of his middle and low end. Half his classes were D1AA. Which he passed on to Babers. In terms of staff player development, I think it was somewhere in the middle. Below Marrone, but above the Babers staff.

Babers has far and away recruited the best but might be the worst in terms of player development. imo, the WR and OL coaches have been terrible at player development and he made a major major blunder in hiring Martin to coach QBs. That single move - imo - could have been the undoing of the program. When Lewis left he needed to go find a top shelf QB coach. That set us back 2 years. (in both development and recruiting.)

Interesting. Babers use of Tempo allowed quick turnarounds. Our 10-3 may be, in part, contributed to that.

His 1st 2 years, we won 4 ACC games. The last 2, we won 3.

I will disagree with you on Martin. If the entirety of your offense is 100% based on 1 player? You have bigger problems. Relying on the other team to be tired, in order to run the ball seems like a house of cards.

I'd guess focus on tempo may have displaced more focus on developement. Our line has consistently ranked in the 100's.

BC fired addazio for going 6-6 every year and making a bowl game in 6 of his 7 seasons. His overall record was 44-44 at BC...How can BC go 6-6 every year but we can't?
We recruited higher than BC, overall. We recruited higher rated Oline. Addazio is great at developing an Oline. He took the lowest ranked oline recruits in the ACC, and made them the #1 Oline in the ACC. Thats how.

BC fired addazio for going 6-6 every year and making a bowl game in 6 of his 7 seasons. His overall record was 44-44 at BC...How can BC go 6-6 every year but we can't?

BC's record from 2000-2015
118-85

SU's record from 2000-2015
81-113

BC's been a better program even before Dino was hired

I think I'd answer this two ways.

1 - He developed his OL and DL better than we have. Esp OL. The lack of thinking outside of the box on offense probably put a ceiling on what he could do, but they knew what they had and ran behind them. Under Dino, we've had a higher ceiling and a lower floor - prob due to OL and tempo being a double edged sword.

2 - They scheduled OOC in a way that we should have been. This is true for Duke, Wake, and NC State too.

HCSchedule Strength (0 is avg)Simple Rating System (0 is avg)Record (%)
Steve Addazzio2.462.8344-44 (.500)
Dino Babers3.47-0.2624-36 (.400)

Yeah it's so easy that 4 coaches have done at Syracuse for a total of 4 times in 15 years. OK. Sooner or later you need to take a deeper look at just the coach. Go HIRE Joe Blow he will turn this around!! He's the man!!! 3-4 years later right in same spot. It's a hamster wheel

And 2 times since entering the ACC 8 years ago but hey it's easy from your point of view. OK. Kind of looks like it isn't, IMO. Every coach we have had just seems to stink from what I read on this forum and I am not making excuses for anybody, just looks like we may need to take a different approach than continuing to hire and fire

We have over scheduled. Add a 1-2 wins every year and most of those seasons we make a Bowl.
For example Shafer's last season we went 4-8. We played OOC USF (8-4), CMU (7-6), Rhode Island (FCS 1-10), at LSU (9-3). NC State that year played at ODU (5-7), at South Alabama (5-7), Troy (4-8), Eastern Kentucky (FCS 6-5). Swap those OOC schedules and Shafer makes a Bowl in 2015.

I think I'd answer this two ways.

1 - He developed his OL and DL better than we have. Esp OL. The lack of thinking outside of the box on offense probably put a ceiling on what he could do, but they knew what they had and ran behind them. Under Dino, we've had a higher ceiling and a lower floor - prob due to OL and tempo being a double edged sword.

2 - They scheduled OOC in a way that we should have been. This is true for Duke, Wake, and NC State too.

HCSchedule Strength (0 is avg)Simple Rating System (0 is avg)Record (%)
Steve Addazzio2.462.8344-44 (.500)
Dino Babers3.47-0.2624-36 (.400)
Gimme Addazios line developement, and some of Dinos mentality, and we win 8 a year.

Gerg left Marrone with a foundation.

Marrone came in and purged half the roster and had to flip the culture to boot. Gerg left him some pieces though.

Last edited:
For giggles, I checked Addazios conference record. While he managed five .500 seasons?

22-34

Dino 13-29 (.309)

The disparity is less than I thought. Addazio was consistently "good", Dino occasionally great. In conference, the Dazzler with five .500's, and 2 losing records. Never over. 500. Dino with 1 winning season, 6-2 (.750), and 4 losing.

If you win powerball or mega millions, I am your cousin.

One of many. My Dad is one of 8 and Mom is one of 7, so I've got 34 first cousins from age range of 19 - 54. I talk to this forum more than I do to 90% of them.

A former player on one of the syracuse FB pages mentioned he wasn’t welcome on the hill. So idk if it’s full support

was it another doosh selling pyramid schemes like Nunes?

was it another doosh selling pyramid schemes like Nunes?
Robert Drummond was the player. He was complaining about Tucker’s tweet talking about how he did against ND because he should have thanked his team in his tweey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom