ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021" | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021"

It is under Dino. We hired a MAC level coach. That gets you MAC level results. Last ranked offense in ACC...again. This is the offensive guru?

Yeah, what are you using to determine offensive rank? If you go by YPP, this is the first season we’ve finished last with Dino.

It is under Dino. We hired a MAC level coach. That gets you MAC level results. Last ranked offense in ACC...again. This is the offensive guru?

Again?

Prior to this year, total offense rankings: 7, 2, 3, 6.

Before he joined 13, 13, 9

Scoring: 8, 2, 8, 9

Before he joined 11, 13, 11

Based on what he inherited he is an offensive guru.

It's almost like you didn't "follow" the program until this August.

Some days I swear Cusian is Dino Babers

i think more like Otto the Orange. He was the last man standing defending Shafer with the same arguments being used now. Or he’s part of a deep state conspiracy created by SU.

i think more like Otto the Orange. He was the last man standing defending Shafer with the same arguments being used now. Or he’s part of a deep state conspiracy created by SU.

theres still schmoes shilling for Shafer so that’s not true

also, appreciate the love. If you want me to sign something I would but Covid

27 for 277 is production? 2 catches a game for 20 yards lol

There's only 1 ball ya know. My god South Florida had 6,156 yards of total offense that year.

3 guys rushed for 1,078; 943 and 896 yards

3 receivers caught 53 (879yd) , 36 (686yd) and 32 (512yd) passes. Tight Ends chipped in 27 for 277. So yeah, that's production especially when compared to Syracuse historically.

If you want to split hairs about TE production, the most under Babers has been Ravian Pierce with 29 catches. Schafer one year had a combined 26 w/Parris 21. Marrone threw to Provo 51 and 33 and Becket Wales had a 35 catch year. Tom Ferron had 30 under Gergs. Paqualoni threw to our 2 NFL tight ends a combined 25 times in 1996. (disclaimer if I'm +/- a couple of stats here bfd.)

Honestly the guys pulling for the TEs in modern day football and bemoaning the loss of Hackett are probably pining for option football and a fullback.

Last edited:
I don’t want to derail this thread but I’ve got to ask, did you intentionally leave the “h” off of “Coach” in your handle? I just want you to be aware in case you want to edit it.

Last edited:
theres still schmoes shilling for Shafer so that’s not true

also, appreciate the love. If you want me to sign something I would but Covid

You’re right, isn’t couscous or one of those extreme crazies on this board still lusting for Shafer to come back and finish the job. Which I think means hammering the last nail in.

I’m just busting on you, I know you take these things personally. We used to argue every season under Shafer about the same things, it’s just a different staff.

You’re right, isn’t couscous or one of those extreme crazies on this board still lusting for Shafer to come back and finish the job. Which I think means hammering the last nail in.

I’m just busting on you, I know you take these things personally. We used to argue every season under Shafer about the same things, it’s just a different staff.
Shafer was a little animated on the sidelines but he did have a good understanding of what kind of players and structures were needed to have a competitive team. He had the 3.0 gpa club which encouraged players to achieve academically, I think 50-60 accomplished that. He also had a very large percentage of players who were captains on their high school teams, which is a good gauge of character.

Shafer was a little animated on the sidelines but he did have a good understanding of what kind of players and structures were needed to have a competitive team. He had the 3.0 gpa club which encouraged players to achieve academically, I think 50-60 accomplished that. He also had a very large percentage of players who were captains on their high school teams, which is a good gauge of character.

So his coaching was exceptionally terrible then? Because the teams were dreadful to watch in person. So if all the players were great than the coaching staff was even more culpable in how bad some of the teams were.

yeah but did he use his tight ends?

The only 2 coaches I was ever there to see so far have been shafer and babers. As a young person I always felt we had a chance with shafer minus clemson, now I’m the opposite

So his coaching was exceptionally terrible then? Because the teams were dreadful to watch in person. So if all the players were great than the coaching staff was even more culpable in how bad some of the teams were.
He did lose all his QB's in '14 and '15. When he switched to Lester as OC, the offense looked dynamic. He really only had 1 recruiting cycle and that produced some very good talent.

The only 2 coaches I was ever there to see so far have been shafer and babers. As a young person I always felt we had a chance with shafer minus clemson, now I’m the opposite

What were Shafer's big wins? Curious as I can't remember? I think best I remember was the win versus BC to get into a bowl game? That sound right

All of Gilberts TEs.

I find issue with that article and the quality of the research that was done.

Jeff Lepak was a little used WR who played under Dino at Baylor. When Dino left for Eastern Illinois, he followed him.

Had 51 catches for 723 yards and 8 TDs as a junior.
Had 30 catches for 321 yards and 1 TD as a senior.

Now we all know lines can be blurred at lines when discussing positions. Lepak was definitely a WR at Baylor.

But he is 6'6 and got a lot stronger as he got older. Was listed at 232 pounds as senior at Eastern llinois

He I see him listed as a TE on the EIU web site and he is described as a TE on the cuse.com article about him coming here as a coach (he is an offensive analyst on staff now).

I would say he should be considered a TE. Not much question about it.

What were Shafer's big wins? Curious as I can't remember? I think best I remember was the win versus BC to get into a bowl game? That sound right
He beat Wagner, Tulane, NC State, Wake Forest, Maryland, Boston College and Minnesota.

I don’t want to derail this thread but I’ve got to ask, did you intentionally leave the “h” off of “Coach” in your handle? I just want you to be aware in case you want to edit it.
Only if it truly bothers you. I like it myself

The fact that he actually used the word ‘development’ seems to indicate that Dino and the staff are going to put this as a high priority. I’m not saying it isn’t a priority already, but this has clearly been a problem for at least a couple seasons so this is a good step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom