adkins and henderson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

adkins and henderson

move morrision back to DL where i think he was at some point in his career and bring back Dan Conley and Shafer will be a hero in the eyes of Syracuse. Just do it!
Conley has done a lot of press interviews lately and praised Shafer in them. I was wondering about (1) Shafer's take on Conley being fired and (2) whether Shafer liked Conley enough to re-hire him. Honestly though, I loved Conley as a player (who didn't?) but have no idea whether he is a good coach.

...as did I.

I'm sure SS has someone in mind. He's already hit two home runs with Daoust (sp) and Morrison.

Those kids better put what Henderson taught them in their schema and hopefully the new db coach will add to that because I agree with you the hires have been good and hopefully they will add to what they already know.

So, let's say Kiffen offered $500k for him to go to USC with him. You are saying he rejected the offer?

I didnt hear it from the horse's mouth... but according to my buddy who did... yes. he turned Kiffin down.

Heard Adkins is moving to Blacksburg, VA.

Heard Henderson is moving to Buffalo, NY.
Big loss with Adkins, both as an OL coach and as recruiting coordinator.

The best OL we could realistically get is this guy. Foley did a great job as OL coach at UConn, was demoted by Coach P so DeLeone could coach the OL and I think he would jump at a chance to coach OL at Syracuse. Eastern guy who has recruited the area for years and he went to school at Colgate.

Alex Van Pelt OC/QBs
Mike Foley OL

That would fill a couple of big holes. If no huddle is a big key, I would think Van Pelt has a big advantage over Rogers and Reagan but I did see that Rice used the no huddle successfully in their bowl win in Fort Worth.

The best OL we could realistically get is this guy. Foley did a great job as OL coach at UConn, was demoted by Coach P so DeLeone could coach the OL and I think he would jump at a chance to coach OL at Syracuse. Eastern guy who has recruited the area for years and he went to school at Colgate.

Alex Van Pelt OC/QBs
Mike Foley OL

That would fill a couple of big holes. If no huddle is a big key, I would think Van Pelt has a big advantage over Rogers and Reagan but I did see that Rice used the no huddle successfully in their bowl win in Fort Worth.

AVP would be an interesting, and solid, choice IMO.

Conley has done a lot of press interviews lately and praised Shafer in them. I was wondering about (1) Shafer's take on Conley being fired and (2) whether Shafer liked Conley enough to re-hire him. Honestly though, I loved Conley as a player (who didn't?) but have no idea whether he is a good coach.
Good question.

I ran into to Dan at the Styx concert at The Turningstone. What a great guy! Very friendly and accessible.

Unfortunately, I was about five bourbons in and I asked him how his SU gig was going. This was after he was relieved of his coaching duties. Talk about needing a place to hide.

Heard Adkins is moving to Blacksburg, VA.

Heard Henderson is moving to Buffalo, NY.

Ugh. I was hoping things would settle down and we would be all right. I hate losing both of these guy's.

Alex Van Pelt OC/QBs
Mike Foley OL

I thought DeLeone was headed to the Giants?

I might catch some flack for stating this...but I've been a fan of Kevin Rogers as an OC. QB coach, ya but please don't bring him as as OC.

Alex Van Pelt OC/QBs
Mike Foley OL
Look like solid picks, especially Van Pelt. He could be a good one. He did wonders with Josh Freeman as a rookie.

Any idea how they are as recruiters? Who takes over for Adkins as recruiting coordinator?

Alex Van Pelt OC/QBs
Mike Foley OL

At first I read that as Mick Foley. Who would be the greatest recruiter of all time. Doubt he could coach the OL though.

Van Pelt's most recent picture makes him a dead ringer for John Desko, in case we ever need that.

Have no idea what direction we'll go. Can't wait to find out.

Look like solid picks, especially Van Pelt. He could be a good one. He did wonders with Josh Freeman as a rookie.

Any idea how they are as recruiters? Who takes over for Adkins as recruiting coordinator?
I wonder if Regan would leave his OC position at Rice and come here as OL coach and recruiting coordinator?

---------

With all due respect to Foley and think he is a solid choice, I'm not sure that he is the a) best and b) realistically could get. I think we can do better.

It truly hurts to lose Atkins; both at O Line and recruiting. IMO, his efforts saved this years recruiting class when we ended up going the JC route. Plus his contacts in Georgia opened up doors that have not been available to SU prior to his arrival.
It's beginning to look like Shafer will be very busy with solidifying our recruiting and doing so without may of our key recruiters. He will be equally busy replacing all of this departing staff; so much for continuity.

I wonder if Regan would leave his OC position at Rice and come here as OL coach and recruiting coordinator?
Doesn't make much sense for him. It would essentially be a demotion. These guys wanna keep the arrow trending up, as we saw with DM & NH.

If you are talking OL coaches, I respectfully disagree. Foley consistently produced excellent BCS level OL from under recruited, not particularly talented recruits. UConn had the best OL in the conference during the time he was their OL coach. Look at the all the all conference linemen he produced. Look at the yards rushing they had and the pass protection numbers they put up.

If you think we can't get him, I again respectfully disagree. He has been treated badly at UConn, UConn has been demoted as a program, he is not coaching OL and wants to, and he is working for a HC that is a year away from being almost certainly fired. It is not a good situation for him.

I will tell you one thing, I love the optimism and would love to see someone more qualified as the new SU OL coach. Who are you thinking fits the bill?

If you are talking OL coaches, I respectfully disagree. Foley consistently produced excellent BCS level OL from under recruited, not particularly talented recruits. UConn had the best OL in the conference during the time he was their OL coach. Look at the all the all conference linemen he produced. Look at the yards rushing they had and the pass protection numbers they put up.

If you think we can't get him, I again respectfully disagree. He has been treated badly at UConn, UConn has been demoted as a program, he is not coaching OL and wants to, and he is working for a HC that is a year away from being almost certainly fired. It is not a good situation for him.

I will tell you one thing, I love the optimism and would love to see someone more qualified as the new SU OL coach. Who are you thinking fits the bill?

No worries Tom and do think Foley did a great job at UConn. I'm looking for a bigger recruiter to replace Adkins in addition to being a good position coach. Yes, if Shafer wants Foley I would be shocked if he didn't make the move. I don't have any specific names (I will leave that to NHCSS), but want to see who else might be on their radar.

Losing all these assistants definitely makes the Shafer hire far less attractive to me. If we weren't sure that he could keep the staff together, makes it more curious that more candidates weren't interviewed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom