adkins and henderson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

adkins and henderson

How about Tyrone Wheatley for recruiting coordinator? Great way to pay him more to keep him. He does seem like the best recruiter still standing.
Bingo. Get him in front of many faces as possible...

If it is true that there will be all these moving parts as far as staff is concerned then I say go for the following.

Van Pelt
Donovin Darius
**Promote T. Wheatley** before we loose him
Foley

Is it really official we will loose Adkins???...To me that's the one that hurts the most.

Not at all surprised. When Adkins got hired his original plan was to only be a Syracuse for a year before looking for jobs in the south. He still has a house in Knoxville, and I think the rest of his family still lives there. Maybe him staying as long as he did showed how much respect he had for Marrone.

we almost had no shot at him. I have no idea what Marrone had on him to keep him for as long as we did.

A good friend of mine told me about a year ago that from Adkins mouth said that Kiffin offered him $500k to stay at Tenn (or maybe it was to go to USC) I only remember it was Kiffin offering him and the money.

There is no way we paid him $500k.
I'm sure it wasn't to stay at UT. He would've in a heartbeat.

Don't like losing Adkins. he has done a fine job with the Ol and enabled us to recruit in areas where we historically had no presence (ie. GA). But what really sucks is to lose him to a conference rival like the Jokies. On a personal level, if he maintains his home in Knoxville, that's a home run for him.

Don't like losing Adkins one bit. This may hurt more than Hackett in the short-term if true.

Heard Adkins is moving to Blacksburg, VA.

Heard Henderson is moving to Buffalo, NY.

Good source? Confirmed?

I only ask because I have a relatively solid VT source and they've heard nothing of this yet.

I'm sure it wasn't to stay at UT. He would've in a heartbeat.[/quote
Don't like losing Adkins. he has done a fine job with the Ol and enabled us to recruit in areas where we historically had no presence (ie. GA). But what really sucks is to lose him to a conference rival like the Jokies. On a personal level, if he maintains his home in Knoxville, that's a home run for him.

Oh sonofabitch.

I totally forgot about the GA recruits.

I know a lot of the assistant coaches are exploring their options right now, butI think some of you are saying goodbye to coach Adkins a little prematurely. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up as the OC at Syracuse--I've been told by someone who would know that nothing has been decided yet as to him leaving. Also, I'm pretty sure Wheatley is staying - don't know about Henderson.

Good source? Confirmed?

I only ask because I have a relatively solid VT source and they've heard nothing of this yet.

Not confirmed. But def a solid source.

Can someone please explain the infatuation people have with bringing in alums for coaching/Athletic Department positions? Just because Boeheim does it doesn't mean it's the model to follow.

Hire the best person for the job, period. There's too much cronyism in Syracuse athletics as there is.

Not confirmed. But def a solid source.
Ok, thanks.. Like I said, not questioning yours, just surprised the hell out of my VT source when I asked, so he's looking into it.

I know a lot of the assistant coaches are exploring their options right now, butI think some of you are saying goodbye to coach Adkins a little prematurely. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up as the OC at Syracuse--I've been told by someone who would know that nothing has been decided yet as to him leaving. Also, I'm pretty sure Wheatley is staying - don't know about Henderson.
Wheatley's son and Shafer's son played HS football together at FM so Scott might have ties with Wheatley from that they might help. Might help again when it comes time for Wheatley's son to choose a college. Hope Ty and his family stay here long term. There is no better school district in the country than FM.

Can someone please explain the infatuation people have with bringing in alums for coaching/Athletic Department positions? Just because Boeheim does it doesn't mean it's the model to follow.

Hire the best person for the job, period. There's too much cronyism in Syracuse athletics as there is.

Marrone had a very good mix. Alums can help sell the program, in particular at a place like this. There's nothing wrong with it, and it is a model that works here for basketball and lacrosse.

It's not necessary.

Alums have a deeper love for the school and will be less likely to leave for other jobs - oops, scratch that.

I think alot of it simply has to do with people wanting to have some sort of opinion on things posting what they know about. Not many people are following the up and coming coaches nationwide. Need a coach for a certain position? Identify a former SU player at that postion. Bonus points if they are working their way up the coaching ranks somewhere.

The cronyism that is being somewhat ignored is within coaching in general, not necessarily in SU athletics. Coaches that we know The Shafer brought in both had ties to him in the past (Daoust and Morrison), not SU - might want to examine his history a little further. And the same way that he filled his staff with his guys (and some of Marrones), the next coordinator(s) will likely have the leeway to do the same. So when speculating on replacements for Adkins, it might be worth examining if they have any ties to any of the OC candidates as well as the HC.

Where is he?
I read somewhere that he was doing an event for kids in the New Rochelle area and I think it was this week.
Just can't remember where I read it.

Donovan Darius would be an awesome hire. And talk about a recruiting tool:

"I played safety at Syracuse, got drafted in the 1st round, then played 10 seasons in the NFL. Want me to show you how?"

I read somewhere that he was doing an event for kids in the New Rochelle area and I think it was this week.
Just can't remember where I read it.

He currently serves on the NFL Players Association Executive Committee and resides in Jacksonville, Florida.

"I played safety at Syracuse, got drafted in the 1st round, then played 10 seasons in the NFL. Want me to show you how?"
I know DD is a very inspirational personality and has a great resume...but can he coach?

I know DD is a very inspirational personality and has a great resume...but can he coach?

Honestly, I have no idea. I just like his recruiting pitch, and he clearly understands how to play safety. ;)

IIRC he had the craziest workouts.

Honest question: wasn't Donovan Darius known in the NFL as a head-hunter (some would say cheap shot artist)?

Honestly, I have no idea. I just like his recruiting pitch, and he clearly understands how to play safety. ;)

Understanding how to play, and knowing how to teach, are to very different things. I am convinced that the best players dont typically make the best coaches because they had so much come naturally to them. It's the guys that really had to study the game and learn their craft that translate best to teaching it to others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom