AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

So far I’ve only seen the main event and the Bret Hart segment.

Just from that it seems like they’re getting a lot of things right. The production values are legit. The crowd was really into it. And getting Jim Ross is major, because he’s still great. It never made any sense whatsoever to me why Vince wanted to phase him out.

MJF with a top notch heel promo.

And Moxley showing up! Got a feeling they will get him right, like WWE never quite did.

I’m excited! Can’t wait for the weekly shows to start.

If anything, the main event was a little anticlimactic b/c nothing could top the top notch storytelling of the Rhodes brothers match. Whole show was worth watching. I also love seeing the emphasis being placed on the tag teams. They really put WWE tag matches to shame.
Yeah I thought it was a pretty good show. It started a little shaky, and ALex Marvez was kind of a disaster. But really, overall, could they have hoped for anything better? I doubt it

I think Raw is gonna be something else tomorrow night. WWE gave Dean such a nice send-off, especially compared to what they usually do, only for him to show up in AEW. LOL

I didn't mind the announcing as it was so much more informative than anything we see on WWE. I thought it was cool that Excaliber, the masked announcer, was clearly wiping away tears under his mask after the Cody/Dustin match.

BTW, I think Vince is gonna be on the warpath. Quite a few WWE wrestlers were tweeting complimentary things about the show.

Yeah I thought it was a pretty good show. It started a little shaky, and ALex Marvez was kind of a disaster. But really, overall, could they have hoped for anything better? I doubt it

I think Raw is gonna be something else tomorrow night. WWE gave Dean such a nice send-off, especially compared to what they usually do, only for him to show up in AEW. LOL
They knew he was going to AEW.
They didn’t bury him because he was a professional and he jobbed every big match he had and he was kept completely off WM which cost him a nice check.

Vince has to be more angry with Mark Henry and Bret Hart.

I loved the symbolism of Cody saying to HHH go screw.

The show had a bunch of guys I hadn’t seen but overall was a solid show.

Love the post event interviews. Cody’s and Dustin’s were good too.

Jericho really was the perfect older, big name guy to bring in.

I didn't mind the announcing as it was so much more informative than anything we see on WWE. I thought it was cool that Excaliber, the masked announcer, was clearly wiping away tears under his mask after the Cody/Dustin match.

BTW, I think Vince is gonna be on the warpath. Quite a few WWE wrestlers were tweeting complimentary things about the show.

Excaliber was good, him wearing the mask makes the on camera shots a little strange, but not a huge deal. I just think Marvez was just awful. No energy

They knew he was going to AEW.
They didn’t bury him because he was a professional and he jobbed every big match he had and he was kept completely off WM which cost him a nice check.

Vince has to be more angry with Mark Henry and Bret Hart.

Are you sure on Ambrose? I hadn't read that; there was a lot of speculation he might show up, but it wasn't a given. I would be somewhat surprised if Vince knew for sure he was gonna go there and still sent him out in the manner he did. But, Vince is a total weirdo.

I was super surprised to see Bret there

Be interesting to see if Raw does anything exciting tonight after the AEW show. I'm not optimistic.
I am not watching Raw but social media is torching it as the worst raw of the year and that is saying something.

Really, that was a very bad raw. like, really bad

I read the recaps and it said they didn’t have a match for the first hour and when they did it was Shane McMahon tapping out some jobber. They gotta be trolling right?

Lesnar clowning around with a boombox? Lol, what?

I read the recaps and it said they didn’t have a match for the first hour and when they did it was Shane McMahon tapping out some jobber. They gotta be trolling right?

Lesnar clowning around with a boombox? Lol, what?

The Lesnar stuff is actually funny!

Everything else? Yeah, not so much.

The Lesnar stuff is actually funny!

Everything else? Yeah, not so much.

I only saw pictures/short videos.

I was so caught off guard. Brock looked like he was legit having fun with it, lol.

And basically Brock didn’t understand the money in the bank rules that he didn’t have to announce ahead of time which title he was after? Or something like that?

And basically Brock didn’t understand the money in the bank rules that he didn’t have to announce ahead of time which title he was after? Or something like that?

He didn't realize he had a whole year. I assume the implication being he's going home for a while? But I also assume he's working the Saudi show, so I dunno

If any of you wonder why WWE is in deep doodoo, and if any of you think that Vince will turn things around, listen to this extraordinary podcast with Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley (Dean Ambrose). It's even worse than you think. One of the best wrestling podcasts I've ever heard:

The Emancipation of Jon Moxley - Talk Is Jericho - Omny.fm
Vincent Kennedy McMahon is the sole reason his company is unwatchable right now.
Until he retires his company is going to continue leak oil.

The parallels for Game of Thrones and WWE right how are there.
Vince = Mad King
Instead of burning them to the ground it’s bury them.

HHH = Jaime Lannister is going to be the Kingslayer.
Stephaine = Cersei Lannister. Smarter than people realize.
Shane = Tyrion Lannister. Was cool at first but dumber the longer he is around.

Hopefully AEW does better than Jon Snow at the end.

Teh stoopid, it burns!

I've been remiss with my updates. The AEW All Out PPV, scheduled for Chicago on Aug. 31 at the Sears Center, sold out in 15 minutes. Dave Meltzer estimates, based on the demand, that they could have legit sold out Soldier Field for the show.

I bought the first AEW PPV. I hadn't bought a wrestling show in something like 30 years, and it was an amazing show.

People really ARE looking for an alternative to WWE, and AEW has jumped ahead of New Japan when it comes to providing that alternative.

Last edited:
AEW announced today that its weekly TV will start on Wednesday, Oct. 2, and will be on TNT every Wednesday night from 8 to 10.

There have been rumors that WWE will maybe counterprogram with NXT, perhaps on FS 1, although that's not been confirmed.

The war has begun.
Big East basketball plays on Wednesday no way FS1 will give up that night for programming during basketball season.