AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Some of the guys (Rey Fenix is a guy that amazes me when I see him work the ropes and air) aerials are entertaining, but there is too much of it in general from the roster. The kicking out of finishers, etc. bugs the hell out of me...

It just seems like its become standard in 99.9% of the matches….guys do completely unnecessary and unrealistic jumping around stuff to land a move….and it doesn’t even look like it would hurt any more than it would if they’d never bothered with the gymnastics in the first place.

And yeah, the kicking out of finishers is just absurd at this point.

To me Bret Hart is the absolute best in terms of his matches, but literally nobody new wrestles like him. They all wrestle like the opening match goofballs from Bret’s era.

CM Punk to be suspended or fired. Several other AEW wrestlers suspended:

Report: AEW Members receive suspensions after 'All Out' altercation - Sports Illustrated

"The list of those receiving suspensions includes Omega, Matt and Nick Jackson, Pat Buck, Christopher Daniels, Michael Nakazawa, and Brandon Cutler. Multiple sources have shared that Punk and Ace Steel will either be among those suspended, or will no longer be with the company by the end of Wednesday. Punk met with Khan on Tuesday, so the two had an opportunity to discuss how that exit could be handled.

Cody and Jericho - about 4 years ago in an interview where they made fun of Punk for calling himself "The Locker Room Leader"

Many people to blame here. I heard views on Bucks+Omega in the back are mixed (always a risk when you have active wrestlers in "executive"). But in the end 2 people are the biggest to blame:

Punk - Totally out of control. Whether Punk was right or wrong to be pissed, stuff like this has to be dealt with in the back and with your bosses (like any real job) We have all been in situations where we can't get along with co-workers -- you go see your boss, bitch about them, maybe something gets done maybe not. At that point you have to accept it -- you don't go fight them or rip them publicly.

Khan - He has let issues brew way too long. Also setting up press conferences immediately after a long pay per view at 1:00 AM in the morning is asking for problems. Bringing in a tired Punk immediately after his match with no time to really freshen up was not smart. Also he just sat there and let Punk go -- tough situation for Khan but he needed to forcefully step in and just say -- "Thank you All and Punk - on to our next person"

Khan has so many strengths that have built this up - but time for him to reflect on how he has to change and also the reporting structure.

Last edited:
Didn’t want to watch it on the TV Tony, figured I’d show up.

Get a pool together, when do I make my run-in?
6028A236-1B12-4CB1-A3A2-0C0F8D89929A.png

They should put the title on Bryan. He’s the best they’ve got, he’ll have no drama, and he can have great matches with anybody.
Mox or Jerhico. Bryan is the most boring human on the planet imo

Mox or Jerhico. Bryan is the most boring human on the planet imo
Now that he’s in shape again, I’d like another Jericho run. Love the Lion Heart thing he’s doing.

Mox has had it enough for now, IMO.

Now that he’s in shape again, I’d like another Jericho run. Love the Lion Heart thing he’s doing.

Mox has had it enough for now, IMO.
Jericho can talk and is entertaining, Bryan can wrestler but I can legit sleep when he’s not, and that yes thing is legit the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen in wrestling outside of Cassidy’s pocket thing and Stone Colds What after every word.

They should put the title on Bryan. He’s the best they’ve got, he’ll have no drama, and he can have great matches with anybody.

he never wants to win matches either!

I think he is so good. Obviously one of the best wrestlers ever and I think hes a great promo too

I’d go Danielson over Moxley in the finals.

Jericho-Garcia feud, falling out all the way after Bryan beats Jericho next week.

MJF ends up beating Danielson for the title.

If Wardlow stays hot and is booked right, maybe he gets the Goldberg type push and title win over MJF.

That would be my plan for the next few champions.

"Sometimes you add by subtracting."

Gene Mauch said that after the Phils got rid of clubhouse cancer Frank Thomas (no, not THAT Frank Thomas, the one BEFORE that Frank Thomas).

CM Punk, torn triceps. Out for a really long time. Perhaps excising him from the AEW locker room will help bring about some comity.

Gene Mauch said that after the Phils got rid of clubhouse cancer Frank Thomas (no, not THAT Frank Thomas, the one BEFORE that Frank Thomas).

CM Punk, torn triceps. Out for a really long time. Perhaps excising him from the AEW locker room will help bring about some comity.
Maybe. Seems like those flippy kicks goofballs aren’t the best locker room guys either though.

Maybe. Seems like those flippy kicks goofballs aren’t the best locker room guys either though.

Are you a fan of Jim Cornette? He goes off on them and their flippity flip all the time. Personally I sort of feel the same way - great athleticism, but matches become too spotty or the set up becomes too obvious.
A point was raised on his show (or perhaps its on some of the others I randomly select - it may have even been in a recent Rey documentary) that when Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero did it, it made much more sense in the context of a wrestling match -- a way to avoid a wrestling move for example.

I listen to Cornette from time to time. Grumpy old man - sometimes right, sometimes wrong or out of touch, always biased. But I find it very amusing to listen to him go off the rails.

Are you a fan of Jim Cornette? He goes off on them and their flippity flip all the time. Personally I sort of feel the same way - great athleticism, but matches become too spotty or the set up becomes too obvious.
A point was raised on his show (or perhaps its on some of the others I randomly select - it may have even been in a recent Rey documentary) that when Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero did it, it made much more sense in the context of a wrestling match -- a way to avoid a wrestling move for example.

I listen to Cornette from time to time. Grumpy old man - sometimes right, sometimes wrong or out of touch, always biased. But I find it very amusing to listen to him go off the rails.
I’m similar on Jim….at times I think he’s spot on, and at times I think he’s way off.

At times I love him, and at times I despise him.

But yeah, his rants are usually entertaining on some level.

I REALLY don’t like how common it is for guys to jump and flip around FOR NO REASON.

It’s just so stupid. It takes me out of caring about matches all the time.

I love listening to Corny

Pretty sure MJF is out regardless end of his contract.

He's just riding it out now

I’m loving the idea of a potential Jericho-Garcia feud. Makes me think of the classic Jericho-Malenko feud from WCW when Lion Heart was just an absurdly obnoxious character, and he and the straight shooter Malenko played off each other so well.

Could see a similar dynamic with Garcia and Jericho, and it would be great for Garcia’s career IMO.

Jericho’s facial expressions were hilarious when Garcia and Danielson were posing in the ring together last night. I posted a little while back at how I thought he was stinking it up, but he’s really been amazing the last month or two IMO.

Danielson would be best for the locker room, think Jericho getting one last run would be best for the TV and building up the next guys.

Jericho could have a fued with a handful of young guys to get them to the top level.

My dark horse is Sammy. I think Tony is a huge fan of his and having him win will be one of the pillars getting over the hump to carry the torch.

It could also set up a Sammy fued with a handful of other guys who could get elevated or given the final push (MJF).

Say it's Sammy, then he gets in a fued with MJF as who is the best pillar or something along that line. Then MJF and Wardlow can retorch their fued. Etc etc.

There are a lot of intriguing options if they go with a dark horse.

Pretty sure MJF is out regardless end of his contract.

He's just riding it out now
If so, AEW really needs to figure it out and do whatever it takes to make that right. If AEW is the new NWA/WCW….MJF should be their Ric Flair. Strap the ship to him at all costs.

If so, AEW really needs to figure it out and do whatever it takes to make that right. If AEW is the new NWA/WCW….MJF should be their Ric Flair. Strap the ship to him at all costs.
Reading the tea leaves and dirt sheets it's seeming like he wants to test the market and see if their is genuine interest that is coming from WWE.

As an aside I feel Cody and how his career plays out over next 18 months will also influence MJF decision as well.

I guess you can't say the door is closed to him resigning, I just think that he wants to see what he can get in a bidding war.

Jericho can talk and is entertaining, Bryan can wrestler but I can legit sleep when he’s not, and that yes thing is legit the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen in wrestling outside of Cassidy’s pocket thing and Stone Colds What after every word.

At least Orange Cassidy was not in the heavyweight title tournament.

One of my complaints all year is that the AEW roster is bloated -- not that one hasto be very astute to say that.

So many guys underused in the past 8-12 months or victims of 50-50 stuff. They are in Great matches, but no real good stories for them.

Even if its the top guys that go, a smaller roster will help some wrestlers get more time and better stories. Could well be a positive.

Reading the tea leaves and dirt sheets it's seeming like he wants to test the market and see if their is genuine interest that is coming from WWE.

As an aside I feel Cody and how his career plays out over next 18 months will also influence MJF decision as well.

I guess you can't say the door is closed to him resigning, I just think that he wants to see what he can get in a bidding war.

The Riddle-Rollins interview angle that had some vulgarity and bleeping is a continued indication that the WWE wants to keep pushing things a bit -- even if not to the AEW level.

Probably an attractive thing for MJF, and also attractive for the WWE in terms of the value for money that MJF would bring. A big part of MJF's value is his mic work, and if you can't let him 100% be the that he is, or at least close to it, he is not as attractive an asset.