After watching Edwards | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

After watching Edwards

I’d give anything for a Conrad McRae, Daryl Watkins type Center. Someone who can swat, defend, rebound decently, and catch and dunk it around the basket. Any potential transfers out there like that?
Would you like a little 3 point shooting among everything else. That list is pretty much the entire package. Said person would be a 5 star top 10 player

Would you like a little 3 point shooting among everything else. That list is pretty much the entire package. Said person would be a 5 star top 10 player

lol, not really. Just someone who can give you 11, 7, 2-3 blocks, and play defense.

If he had played well it proves he is being "Boeheimed"

If he plays poorly the coaching staff is incompetent.
Edwards has not been Boeheimed, which is a real thing btw, but def on JB that he wasn’t better prepared. Carving out minutes for young guys to give them crucial experience is not JBs strong suit. Overall, I say Dol and Sidibe getting dumb fouls was the biggest issue here.

lol, not really. Just someone who can give you 11, 7, 2-3 blocks, and play defense.

So - Fab Melo then.

Not too much to ask. :rolleyes:

Actually, if you want 2-3 blocks, along with your 11 & 7 & solid D, then you'll be needing this guy:
Just a guy

So - Fab Melo then.

Not too much to ask. :rolleyes:

Ha. Fab’s numbers were kept down by playing on maybe the deepest SU team ever.

I just want a solid productive center, that all kinds of Mid majors and Big East and A-10(friggin Bonnies!) schools have.

Sidibe has gotten better and had good moments, but...you’ve kinda gotta have another center of his caliber and go with a “two headed monster” if that’s the level of starting center you have.

Ha. Fab’s numbers were kept down by playing on maybe the deepest SU team ever.

I just want a solid productive center, that all kinds of Mid majors and Big East and A-10(friggin Bonnies!) schools have.

Sidibe has gotten better and had good moments, but...you’ve kinda gotta have another center of his caliber and go with a “two headed monster” if that’s the level of starting center you have.

See my edit.
That's what you're asking for - some guy that all kinds of Mid majors have.

Perhaps it has been posted in some thread along the way, or the recruiting board, but I've haven't seen the reason posted here why we have been so terribly unsuccessful in landing a guy at the 5 spot that can make any contribution behind Sidibe, let alone being unsuccessful in recruiting over him? Some folks here say how much potential Edwards and Bol both have to be pretty darn good, but what do you see that makes either one of these guys more than a Sidibe part deaux type come their junior year, with the same issues? Why should anyone expect their progression to be any different based upon their seemingly similar starting points as frosh like Sidibe's? Are we just expected to be pigeon holed into this apparent plight of ours at this spot for the duration of JB's remaining tenure?

You would think with our overwhelming weakness at this position that a legit 5 guy (let alone a P5 one) would look at us and be saying, dang, I can probably play a chit-ton of minutes my frosh season with what they got there... sign me up! It's really perplexing IMO. I just don't get a how a program like SU's (whom many here believe we are just under those usual blue bloods) keeps striking out in this regard.

so my question is - Edwards was more game ready than Ajak? Please tell me the latter is injured or something. Again I think down the road Edwards has some skills - that said there is no excuse for a scholarship player be that unprepared to play. His AAU, IMG, and frankly position coach here should be embarrassed.

I don't think either one came in game ready. Ajak is a bit ahead from a physical perspective while Jesse is perceived as being a bit more skilled offensively at this point. I suspect the plan was always to redshirt one or the other. When Ajak was unable to resolve visa issues and missed the Italy trip I think the die was cast. Even if we DON'T get a grad transfer for the 5 I would not be surprised to see the roles flip next year with Edwards taking the RS and Ajak serving as the third center.

Danya Abrams fat boy type would be fine
Maybe as a backup center. But most Abrams-type guys wouldn't be able to get out to cover the corner jumper in the zone.

Time wouldn't have helped him that much. He just isn't strong enough
If you ever played you wouldn't make that comment. All players need real game time. It would have made a difference. Not saying the outcome would have been any different.

If you ever played you wouldn't make that comment. All players need real game time. It would have made a difference. Not saying the outcome would have been any different.
You need to learn to read closer, if you had you might have noticed that I said helped that much. That means it would help, but only so much. And in my opinion, not enough to have made a difference in that game. Of course players need game time. I played high school and actually coached my old high school team. But going to Syracuse, I didn't fool myself in to thinking I could play there. I will leave that to others to fool themselves in to thinking they could have played there. But there is a reason the Hall of Fame coach hasn't played the kid. He isn't strong enough, yet. And no amount of playing this year was going to change that.

Last edited:
Perhaps it has been posted in some thread along the way, or the recruiting board, but I've haven't seen the reason posted here why we have been so terribly unsuccessful in landing a guy at the 5 spot that can make any contribution behind Sidibe, let alone being unsuccessful in recruiting over him? Some folks here say how much potential Edwards and Bol both have to be pretty darn good, but what do you see that makes either one of these guys more than a Sidibe part deaux type come their junior year, with the same issues? Why should anyone expect their progression to be any different based upon their seemingly similar starting points as frosh like Sidibe's? Are we just expected to be pigeon holed into this apparent plight of ours at this spot for the duration of JB's remaining tenure?

You would think with our overwhelming weakness at this position that a legit 5 guy (let alone a P5 one) would look at us and be saying, dang, I can probably play a chit-ton of minutes my frosh season with what they got there... sign me up! It's really perplexing IMO. I just don't get a how a program like SU's (whom many here believe we are just under those usual blue bloods) keeps striking out in this regard.
I think one of the reason is playing the 5 at Syracuse is not that desirable. We basically ask you to play defense, rebound and throw outlet passes. We never run inside out stuff, high low etc so if you are a big guy that has good lateral quickness which is what we need you are looking to go somewhere where you can be more involved in the offense.

I think one of the reason is playing the 5 at Syracuse is not that desirable. We basically ask you to play defense, rebound and throw outlet passes. We never run inside out stuff, high low etc so if you are a big guy that has good lateral quickness which is what we need you are looking to go somewhere where you can be more involved in the offense.

Thanks for your response. It's does make sense that the system is the main culprit for the continued snubs by the better 5's (what else could it be) with such obvious talent deficiency here. If that truly indeed is the case, then I guess we are most likely stuck with this fate until JB retires as I wondered/inquired above. :(

You need to learn to read closer, if you had you might have noticed that I said helped that much. That means it would help, but only so much. And in my opinion, not enough to have made a difference in that game. Of course players need game time. I played high school and actually coached my old high school team. But going to Syracuse, I didn't fool myself in to thinking I could play there. I will leave that to others to fool themselves in to thinking they could have played there. But there is a reason the Hall of Fame coach hasn't played the kid. He isn't strong enough, yet. And no amount of playing this year was going to change that.
I understand however Marek hasn't increased his strength the last few years yet he has improved. Game time matters.

If he had played well it proves he is being "Boeheimed"

If he plays poorly the coaching staff is incompetent.

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom