Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

It'll be criminal if they charge full freight for online classes.

Schools and students are in an impossible place. If schools don't charge full tuition, where does the operating money come from? For the vast majority schools, endowment isn't an option.

Schools and students are in an impossible place. If schools don't charge full tuition, where does the operating money come from? For most schools, endowment isn't an option.

That's not the students problem. I don't get access to any of the facilities that my tuition and fees are paying for. I don't get the access to professors that I would usually get either. Maybe online teaching will be smoother in the Fall, but it should be absolutely be at a discounted rate. If you want to increase tuition on the back end a year from now, have at it. Right now, it's hard to justify. It's why Cornell is having in person teaching this fall. They need to provide a reason why they're charging 58K before room and board.

There is online and then there is online.. if its online virtual where you can have inclass discussions thats far different than course where you just go online and do it on your own time..

There is online and then there is online.. if its online virtual where you can have inclass discussions thats far different than course where you just go online and do it on your own time..

I'm fully aware of this. My brother is an educator for the NYC DoE. It's not as seamless as you make it appear.

Trust me.. I have sat thru a lot of discussions with how its gonna work on campus this semester. Some Profs put in the work and some went thru the motions.. Some courses lend itself to being taught less hands on and virtual, more than others. Some schools invested way more money into doing it better as well.

But this is also on the kids. This is a 1-2 yr thing we all hope. The more effort the kids put into it the better it goes for everyone as well.

Trust me.. I have sat thru a lot of discussions with how its gonna work on campus this semester. Some Profs put in the work and some went thru the motions.. Some courses lend itself to being taught less hands on and virtual, more than others. Some schools invested way more money into doing it better as well.

But this is also on the kids. This is a 1-2 yr thing we all hope. The more effort the kids put into it the better it goes for everyone as well.

Fair. With that said, I think we are going to see a number of students take a gap year.

Fair. With that said, I think we are going to see a number of students take a gap year.
A gap year DEFINITELY seems the play, from an educational, health, and experience perspective.

Wasnt sure which thread to put this...lol

"Could the Ivy League’s decision regarding football be a harbinger of what’s to come at other levels once again? It’s possible. As one Power 5 administrator put it, a lot of university presidents — particularly those at top academic institutions in the Power 5 — consider Ivy League schools their peers. And they respect the level of research and expertise coming out of those campuses, as society at large waits for a COVID-19 vaccine. “My suspicion is that the majority of presidents in the FBS are uncomfortable with the notion of playing football this fall but for various reasons don’t want to be the first to step out and say that,” the Power 5 administrator told The Athletic. “So, more than anything else, that decision provides the cover they need. I expect it’ll be a big domino.”

Wasnt sure which thread to put this...lol

"Could the Ivy League’s decision regarding football be a harbinger of what’s to come at other levels once again? It’s possible. As one Power 5 administrator put it, a lot of university presidents — particularly those at top academic institutions in the Power 5 — consider Ivy League schools their peers. And they respect the level of research and expertise coming out of those campuses, as society at large waits for a COVID-19 vaccine. “My suspicion is that the majority of presidents in the FBS are uncomfortable with the notion of playing football this fall but for various reasons don’t want to be the first to step out and say that,” the Power 5 administrator told The Athletic. “So, more than anything else, that decision provides the cover they need. I expect it’ll be a big domino.”

Well, these glorified hedge funds (Ivy's) don't need football revenue to trickle to the rest of the university the way FBS schools do. They can afford to take the hit financially. It's a drop in the bucket for Harvard and Yale.

Ivy also gets almost zip from fball tv money and very little revenue at all from ticket sales.

But to say they can take the hit is an over statement.. They still need to come up with 250 million on avg to get thru this and you cant just tap endowment money.

Ivy also gets almost zip from fball tv money and very little revenue at all from ticket sales.

But to say they can take the hit is an over statement.. They still need to come up with 250 million on avg to get thru this and you cant just tap endowment money.

I was referring to not having football, not the campus being shut down for an entire academic year.

One thing that is picking up steam in the NFL and seems that will happen IF there is NFL football this year is having all helmets must have a visor. Not just over the eyes, also over all of the openings on the helmet facemasks. The NFLPA and NFL are negotiating this now and talking to Oakley about it as they have the means and ability to meet this demand should it happen. It's a player safety issue.

With no openings less likely to have fluids coming out of a player's helmet and spread onto another player. If the NFL goes down this road expect all of the college conferences to jump on board as a player safety issue. I mean can saliva, spit, snot and such still get out...of course, but it would lower the risk.

well the headlines were mis leading.. Harvard is not online only its in addition to physical in-person courses I think all the Ivies will be like that as will most schools.

One thing that is picking up steam in the NFL and seems that will happen IF there is NFL football this year is having all helmets must have a visor. Not just over the eyes, also over all of the openings on the helmet facemasks. The NFLPA and NFL are negotiating this now and talking to Oakley about it as they have the means and ability to meet this demand should it happen. It's a player safety issue.

With no openings less likely to have fluids coming out of a player's helmet and spread onto another player. If the NFL goes down this road expect all of the college conferences to jump on board as a player safety issue. I mean can saliva, spit, snot and such still get out...of course, but it would lower the risk.
I know the players wont like it... but a double walled visor won't fog.

I first heard about this, a while back, from a well informed P5 parent. Great suggestion, and I hope the NCAA adopts it.

Players should get enough O2 to compete. (I hope) AND maintain protocols. It's not perfect, but players want a season more than any person posting on this board.

Must watch video. He is talking about NFL but applies to college football as well