Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

since we know so many have it and dont know it.. what we dont know is that same thing with the flu.. very likely millions get the flu at a level they dont even know it too but no one ever cared.

So while the virus numbers are in a state of flux its pretty likely the flu numbers are also widely off and we know those numbers are just guesses to start.

I wonder how much reducing flights/hotel stays is also a cost cutting procedure.

How many teams take non-chartered flights anyways?

Take this FWIW, but a few notes (from my school at least)
  • Large scale testing isn't an option or schools (not enough tests, huge cost, not accurate - especially for younger people). Will be targeted testing. Cannot even test students initially coming to campus.
  • Instructors will need to be behind a plexiglass shield at all times.
  • A lot of concern about non-compliant students (eg students who don't want to wear masks)
  • No office hours or 1:1 interactions with faculty will be allowed.
  • Alot more questions than answers (how to minimize hallway traffic, what about students coming from quarantine states, etc.....)
The students seem to want things to return to normal and come right back to campus, however quite obviously things are going to be a very different world (even in a best case scenario).

Just when you start to think that stereotypes of “dumb Southerners” might be overblown.

It’s like the whole state is trying to win this year’s Darwin Award.

Roll tide!

Except there is no danger to themselves or very little. Booze complications pose more risk than the virus. Now yes they could head to a nursing home the next day and kill their grandparents I get that argument but these are students living at school.

To quote Enstein every overreaction has an equal and opposite overreaction. Young people have been seriously screwed over by covid.

Now yes they could head to a nursing home the next day and kill their grandparents I get that argument but these are students living at school.

Or they could infect the cafeteria worker who is A) Older themselves or B) Lives an older person.

Or they could infect the cafeteria worker who is A) Older themselves or B) Lives an older person.

Im aware of these hypotheticals.

People didn’t think there would be some click bait incidents from angry youths annoyed by covid? Of course they will be.

Home opener 10/3 vs Louisville? Or do we find another opponent 9/19? (if it goes as trending)

Last edited:
I am very unhappy the Patriot league and Colgate moved our bye to week 3. That is bad for a team without much depth.

But thinking about it, playing Colgate Is pretty much the same as having a bye week.

I am very unhappy the Patriot league and Colgate moved our bye to week 3. That is bad for a team without much depth.

But thinking about it, playing Colgate Is pretty much the same as having a bye week.
Still not decided, but not trending well. If they are bringing back students, it seems odd to not bring back a small group(tested) for regular camp. Their players cant be happy, as they've lost the WMU opportunity, and the Cuse game is in jeopardy.

Last edited:
ohh boy... They're all still in smaller pods. This can't bode well for full Offense/Defense. :-( :-( :-(

Still not decided, but not trending well. If they are bringing back students, it seems odd to not bring back a small group(tested) for regular camp. Their players cant be happy, as they've lost the WMU opportunity, and the Cuse game is in jeopardy.
Hope they find a way to play the game on the day it was supposed to be played. If Colgate can't do it, would Syracuse find another team to play on the scheduled date? Is another team available?

Wednesday could be a big day. Ivy league decision may cause a ripple effect. Especially in the FCS. Then what? It almost sounds like a done deal.

Wednesday could be a big day. Ivy league decision may cause a ripple effect. Especially in the FCS. Then what? It almost sounds like a done deal.

I don't think they will be the deciding factor. When a P5 conference does it, then that will cause waves.

If it is not sufficiently safe, then fall sports should not take place. With that said:
  1. The "selfish" side of me would love CFB as a distraction in the fall, even without fans
  2. Unless there is a vaccine (which I personally put at below 50%), then I am not seeing how the spring will be sufficiently safer. Frankly, for colleges I see the fall being more likely for in person classes than the spring (and I have NO idea how schools will stay in person until even Oct.). Without a vaccine, the spring is actually more of a concern right now.

Last edited:

I think that this is the way schools will start to trend. Just like the closures in February, once you get a critical mass going in one direction, the other dominoes will quickly fall.

Major announcements are planned over the next 7-10 days at many schools. Stay tuned.

I don't think they will be the deciding factor. When a P5 conference does it, then that will cause waves.

If it is not sufficiently safe, then fall sports should not take place. With that said:
  1. The "selfish" side of me would love CFB as a distraction in the fall, even without fans
  2. Unless there is a vaccine (which I personally put at below 50%), then I am not seeing how the spring will be sufficiently safer. Frankly, for colleges I see the fall being more likely for in person classes than the spring (and I have NO idea how schools will stay in person until even Oct.)
Not a deciding factor, but I could immediately see the Patriot League following suit, based on their willingness to already cancel September. I can see other schools more willing to follow suit, as well. The juggling act of rescheduling, and then rescheduling again(for further drop outs), could start this week.

We havent even hit full team activities, yet. That could present more casualties.