Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably going to need a waiver if he hopes to play next season.

They put us in the East in 13 so we could cut down the nets on GUs home floor.

That was nice.
The only regret is they should have mailed a piece of the net to big John Thompson.

Screenshot_20200405-192806_Instagram.jpg

He'd have to file a waiver request, and have a damn good reason.

Transferring because you want more playing time isn't a valid reason.

One of the reasons he chose us could be so he could say he wanted to be closer to home and be more likely to get a hardship.

Every transfer before him has sat other than Thorpe and Gillon. Might help our case and his that we’ve never requested the waiver.

One of the reasons he chose us could be so he could say he wanted to be closer to home and be more likely to get a hardship.

Every transfer before him has sat other than Thorpe and Gillon. Might help our case and his that we’ve never requested the waiver.

Thorpe, Gillon, and Uncle Drew were all Grad Transfers who were immediately eligible anyways.

Seems like a talented kid with excellent bloodlines. Where did his dad play in college, Seton Hall?
Very excited. He probably sees himself as the next Eli Hughes. Welcome aboard, young man!

Yes I believe Seton Hall

Makes for some nice scrimmages.
That’s what people completely miss when talking about our roster management (for whatever reason you find as to why)- I don’t care if we only play 6-7 players you still need more to maximize competitive practices. The more quality players, the better the practices are. Yes walkons are important practice players but they are walkons for a reason at this level.

In 2011-2012 we had Triche, Scoop, Rakeem, Melo, Southerland, Keita, Waiters, Fair, MCW, Joseph. Clearly a ridiculous 1-10... but we also had Mookie Jones and a redshirting Cooney.

You think those practices were intense?

Why did this guy not get more run ? Not like Illinois was some powerhouse

They were better than us.

Anywho, from an Illinois fan on Reddit:

Cuse bros: you’re probably excited, but maybe wondering just how excited you should be. The answer is VERY excited. Griffin is a lethal shooter and an above-the-rim athlete. Many Illinois fans expected him to be an all-B1G player the next two years. Advanced metrics indicate that he was one of the most efficient offensive players in America in ‘19-20 (I believe #6 overall and #1 among P5 players). He’s one of the nation’s best outside shooters, no hyperbole. He also hustles, plays with a lot of passion, and rebounds like a maniac.

The negatives: 1) not a great ball handler/creator. His offense in the halfcourt is catch & shoot 3’s, crashing the glass and an occasional straight-line drive. 2) Prone to defensive lapses. Not a terrible defender, but gets out of position at times. This is the biggest reason he didn’t start for Illinois. 3) Off-court stuff is a concern. Rumors suggest that he’s a nice kid and well-liked, but he’s had academic issues and his mom is a piece of work. There’s also a substantial rumor that he had a nasty breakup with a girl in Champaign who accused him of some unsavory things (nothing that would cause legal trouble afaik, but definitely a stain on his reputation). Apparently his decision to leave was a combination of his mom wanting him closer to home, the family feeling like he should have been starting, and Alan wanting a clean slate after the drama with his ex.

I think he’ll be one of your 2 best players and could become an NBA prospect as a 3-and-D wing. My guess at the numbers he could post next year (assuming the waiver rule passes): 15 ppg, 6.5 reb, 2 ast, 40% 3pt. He’s a stud.

I don't believe that he wasn't a great defensive player. His defensive rating was one of the best on the team. He also had the best BPM of any player offensively and overall. If someone with his stats/40 and efficiency didn't play more on Syracuse the fans would be complaining a lot.

I don't believe that he wasn't a great defensive player. His defensive rating was one of the best on the team. He also had the best BPM of any player offensively and overall. If someone with his stats/40 and efficiency didn't play more on Syracuse the fans would be complaining a lot.

I can't say I've watched any of his full games, but:

1. You literally pointed to his offensive BPM but didn't mention that of the players that played more than a couple minutes per game, he had the lowest defensive BPM on the team.

2. Seems like every Illinois fan I've seen talk about him has mentioned his defensive lapses as his biggest or second biggest weakness.

At any rate, very excited to have him aboard. I think this is is pretty much the perfect type of transfer to target in general and it seems like he could become a stud if he develops properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom