Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, technically - Kadary could be the backup PG. He’s an able & willing passer.

And Griffin can play both SG & SF (likely much more of the latter for us) - so while we don’t have a full-time 4th guard, do we really ‘need’ one?

Would be nice to have, but who transfers in under that assumption??
Answer - nobody.

HoWash was already here, and wanted no part of getting only table scraps.
Why would some other player want the same?

Get us Haarms or the C from LBSU and call it a summer.
Agree with you 100%. Unless something awesome completely fall into the coaches' lap.

Well, technically - Kadary could be the backup PG. He’s an able & willing passer.

And Griffin can play both SG & SF (likely much more of the latter for us) - so while we don’t have a full-time 4th guard, do we really ‘need’ one?

Would be nice to have, but who transfers in under that assumption??
Answer - nobody.

HoWash was already here, and wanted no part of getting only table scraps.
Why would some other player want the same?

Get us Haarms or the C from LBSU and call it a summer.

Sure, on paper. On paper, Goodine was going to be a backup point last year -- it just didn't manifest. Freshmen [to badly paraphrase Gump] are like a box of chocolates.

I LOVE Kadary's potential. I hope he ends up being a terrific player for us. I think he will eventually -- just don't know what to expect next year... especially given the "ole" defense he showed at Brewster.

But that still limits us to only three scholarship guards -- which limits what you can do in practice, and exposes us in the event of an injury.

Sure, on paper. On paper, Goodine was going to be a backup point last year -- it just didn't manifest. Freshmen [to badly paraphrase Gump] are like a box of chocolates.

I LOVE Kadary's potential. I hope he ends up being a terrific player for us. I think he will eventually -- just don't know what to expect next year... especially given the "ole" defense he showed at Brewster.

But that still limits us to only three scholarship guards -- which limits what you can do in practice, and exposes us in the event of an injury.

Your points are all valid.

The last one, however - is Syracuse’s problem, not Transfer X’s problem;
and I’d be shocked (albeit very pleasantly!) if we somehow got a scholarship-caliber guy to come in for that limited role of 4th G.

Your points are all valid.

The last one, however - is Syracuse’s problem, not Transfer X’s problem;
and I’d be shocked (albeit very pleasantly!) if we somehow got a scholarship-caliber guy to come in for that limited role of 4th G.

Agreed, at this stage. HoWash would be perfect -- fourth year junior, knows the system, is an actual point, has the relative confidence of the coach.

The other guys we've heard -- Farakhan, for example -- who knows? Maybe there is an international player we have our sights on. Or maybe we just roll the dice with three guards, with Griffin also being in the mix.

Agreed, at this stage. HoWash would be perfect -- fourth year junior, knows the system, is an actual point, has the relative confidence of the coach.

The other guys we've heard -- Farakhan, for example -- who knows? Maybe there is an international player we have our sights on. Or maybe we just roll the dice with three guards, with Griffin also being in the mix.
Some of the insiders have mentioned a guard currently in HS that we have not previously been linked to as a legit option

Some of the insiders have mentioned a guard currently in HS that we have not previously been linked to as a legit option

If it isn't the kid from Montreal...I'll be mad!

No inside info here but I'd be surprised, if Griffin has to sit out, if we don't bring in a mid or lower major or even a DII grad transfer to fill the fourth guard spot . Three guys isn't enough depth and none of the forwards are swing men, except between the forward positions). Would Marek be both our emergency center and emergency point guard?

There have been more than a handful of years where our fourth guard has been a walk-on. That's what they are there for. I agree it would be nice to have a fourth scholarship guard on the roster, but assuming he can play, having Griffin in that swing role mitigates the injury possibility and a quality walk on or two covers the practice concerns.

No inside info here but I'd be surprised, if Griffin has to sit out, if we don't bring in a mid or lower major or even a DII grad transfer to fill the fourth guard spot . Three guys isn't enough depth and none of the forwards are swing men, except between the forward positions). Would Marek be both our emergency center and emergency point guard?
honestly would love to see what marek at point would be like...would be crazy length at the top of the zone (something thats been sorely missing compared to best teams of late) and he probably would never foul out if he played at guard...

you got newton, guerrier, griffin maybe braswell (maybe) buddy (maybe) etc at forward as is...

honestly would love to see what marek at point would be like...would be crazy length at the top of the zone (something thats been sorely missing compared to best teams of late) and he probably would never foul out if he played at guard...

you got newton, guerrier, griffin maybe braswell (maybe) buddy (maybe) etc at forward as is...
Yes- Marek at point! Played guard when younger, right?
Marek had many of the best assists last season,and is a decent ball handler.
Would love to see Marek get time at PG -just to see what happens!

As stated, I was just using him as an example.

Kadary notwithstanding, it would be ideal [on many levels] to have a fourth guard on the roster, capable of running the point. For practice, but also if needed in games.

Totally get your point. I am not suggesting that Washington will change his mind. But, you never know under these unprecedented circumstances.

For the record, I don't expect him back.

Tough spot. If he comes back he’s DNP most nights but the starting PG should JG3 not be able to go.

I don’t know how far down Howard would have to drop to be guaranteed starters minutes. He could be PG depth anywhere good handle and he’s quick but he can’t shoot. Hope JB is leaving the door open but this is really only gonna be a problem if JG3 is out. I think he’s going to handle a big load well and am not sure Kadary gets that many minutes anyways. No injury’s I would guess he averages 8-9 for the season.

They should be handed out like candy. If you are in good academic standing at the end of the academic year, you should be able to go wherever you want to go, and play immediately.
These are not supposed to be sports organizations that offer education. They are supposed to be educational organizations that offer sports, and other extra curricular activities.
Ironic then that these transfer decisions are almost entirely sports driven.

I think the NCAA is going to be very lenient regarding granting waivers to players transferring to be closer to home. They will get a ton of criticism if they reject these. The same applies to the schools the players are transferring from.

Ossining is a little more than 3 hours from Syracuse, which isn’t ideal but coupled with his dad being based in Toronto, so Alan would be located between both locations, I just can’t see the NCAA saying no here.

NCAA: "Hold my beer"

Really like this kid!

Kid is fearless. Have a feeling he will thrive in the Dome, and hit some big shots to win games. Hopefully we still have him in 2022, if he can’t become eligible this year cause we are gonna be loaded if he’s still around to form a lethal trio with a senior JG, and Dior linking up in the backcourt.

Throw in the possibilities of having seniors QG, Jesse, and Bras in the front court. And that’s not all with redshirt junior JBA, plus juniors Kadary, and Newton to complete a nasty, experienced squad with barely a weakness to be had. But wait, there’s more, with us likely having even more young talent to round out one of our best teams ever, if we add Benny, and Chance. Our backups would be a tournament team.

Kid is fearless. Have a feeling he will thrive in the Dome, and hit some big shots to win games. Hopefully we still have him in 2022, if he can’t become eligible this year cause we are gonna be loaded if he’s still around to form a lethal trio with a senior JG, and Dior linking up in the backcourt.

Throw in the possibilities of having seniors QG, Jesse, and Bras in the front court. And that’s not all with redshirt junior JBA, plus juniors Kadary, and Newton to complete a nasty, experienced squad with barely a weakness to be had. But wait, there’s more, with us likely having even more young talent to round out one of our best teams ever, if we add Benny, and Chance. Our backups would be a tournament team.
That's scary to think about!! Crazy talent. I definitely think griff is going to thrive playing for us. Hoping the ncaa doesnt us over and hes eligible this season.

I have a feeling that even if he sits out in 2020, with the 30+mpg he’ll get in 2021 he’ll end up declaring for the draft

Not sure if anyone already posted but this kid reminds me of is Lucious Jackson. More talent and overall game but the only player when I watch him that comes to mind.

Ironic then that these transfer decisions are almost entirely sports driven.
Actually the far majority of transfers have nothing to do with sports. That is just a subset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom