Alcorn St attendance | Syracusefan.com

Alcorn St attendance

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Game vs. Alcorn St might set a record for lowest attendance in the Carrier Dome:

1) It's Alcorn State, a sub 300 RPI team
2) It's during a Holiday week with no students on campus
3) It's at 7pm on Saturday, December 29th
4) The Pinstripe Bowl so happens to be at 3:15pm on December 29th

My over/under for attendance is 6,000.

Game vs. Alcorn St might set a record for lowest attendance in the Carrier Dome:

1) It's Alcorn State, a sub 300 RPI team
2) It's during a Holiday week with no students on campus
3) It's at 7pm on Saturday, December 29th
4) The Pinstripe Bowl so happens to be at 3:15pm on December 29th

My over/under for attendance is 6,000.

I will be there! And I can't wait. I live out of town and it is one of only three games I will get to this year.

I made a post that the over under is 8500. They need to change the game until noon.

Alcorn State BTW is at a stellar 260 on the RPI.

I would be all for a noon tip for this game and then show the fb game on the big screen and keep club 44 open for those that want to stick around.

Seems too obvious. I'm sure SU won't get it right...

Or maybe they do change the time to 12 noon but don't start to advertise it until one day prior.

Last night on the video board they showed UPCOMING GAME vs LONG BEACH STATE - THURSDAY at 7 PM.

(the game is at 8 PM I believe...I will definitely double check after seeing that!)

Last night on the video board they showed UPCOMING GAME vs LONG BEACH STATE - THURSDAY at 7 PM.

(the game is at 8 PM I believe...I will definitely double check after seeing that!)

I thought it was 8 too. I hope it is as my son has a band concert at 7 and I was hoping to get home in time for the 2nd half tipoff.

We drew about 25,000 for Seton Hall on the same night last year. No bowl game, though. And they were a decent conference team, not an absurdly awful team with no regional or other tie to Syracuse or its staff.

Could be bad. They should invite fans in for football on the big screens.

Yes they did. And the voiceover guy said 8. For the millionth time, who's heading up quality control for the athletic department? No one seems to take any pride in the work coming out of there.

I thought it was 8 too. I hope it is as my son has a band concert at 7 and I was hoping to get home in time for the 2nd half tipoff.

DVR

DVR

I will DVR it but I was never big on the whole DVR the game and try to not find out what they are doing. Someone always blabs and if I hear the score I will just go home and watch it live. Plus I have been known o sneak my phone in and watch these things at other kids events. Last year my daughter was in a play at the Civic Center the night of the NIT State game in Raleigh. I brought my phone in, downloaded the watch ESPN app, turned down the brightness and volume and voila. Funny part was the 3 people sitting right behind me and the guy next to me all were trying to watch as well.

I will DVR it but I was never big on the whole DVR the game and try to not find out what they are doing. Someone always blabs and if I hear the score I will just go home and watch it live. Plus I have been known o sneak my phone in and watch these things at other kids events. Last year my daughter was in a play at the Civic Center the night of the NIT State game in Raleigh. I brought my phone in, downloaded the watch ESPN app, turned down the brightness and volume and voila. Funny part was the 3 people sitting right behind me and the guy next to me all were trying to watch as well.

lol, looks like you know what you're doing.

Alcorn St is 335 in KenPom ratings. As of right now the line would probably open around 36.

This games just seems out of character with some of the other OOC games we have had the last few years -- either local or a team in the 100-200 range.

It's a shame attendance will be so low because that potentially could be the 904th win for Jimmy B this passing Bobby Knight and moving to second all time in wins.
He passes bobby knight on new years eve if they keep winning. Alcorn st would only tie him.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

They've had the upcoming game date/time wrong for 3 games in a row. Trying their best to keep attendance down haha

...except it is probably the game that JB ties Bobby Knight in wins. I admit to the occasional wasted season ticket, but this wont be one of the games I miss.

If anything, that should cause a significant boost in attendance for two of the worst tickets of the season. Come to think of it, we have a damn good chance at retaking the attendance title from Kentucky this year if the AD advertises right, the casual fans realize it, and they get on board with making a push for this year's title. It's sooo ripe for the taking this year.

- Kentucky is still drunk off its NC and its fanbase is much less energized than usual.
- Kentucky is having a disappointing start to their season, they wont be soaring at the top of the rankings at least for a while, which will clean out some of the bandwagon.
- Syracuse is making its farewell lap around the big east and will draw numbers purely for the big east curtain call.
- Syracuse is surprisingly good in a relative down year of college bball, giving us a reasonable chance at a NC, and likely to be ranked pretty high all season (knock on wood).
- Boeheim will be reaching two ginormous coaching milestones on what would otherwise be two of the worst attended games of the season... exactly the type of games that have always sandbagged our attendance average & kept us from challenging Kentucky's attn. #

Honestly, if we can't retake the attendance title this year then we don't deserve to hold it ever again. This is like a perfect storm of attendance 'weather', and what better way to exit the Big East than with Orange Nation as the biggest bball program in the country?

Doesn't Kentucky sell out pretty much regardless (or close to it) even in their down seasons. Kentucky's number is relatively fixed. We can still certainly beat it for some of the reasons you outlined, but I don't think it will be due to Kentucky attendance decreasing.

Doesn't Kentucky sell out pretty much regardless (or close to it) even in their down seasons. Kentucky's number is relatively fixed. We can still certainly beat it for some of the reasons you outlined, but I don't think it will be due to Kentucky attendance decreasing.
Rupp Arena capacity is 23,500 ... Kentucky hadn't sold out a game until last game vs. Baylor. Their home opener drew 21,360. Then 21,897... 22, 222 ... and then 24,192 turned out to watch that Saturday night train wreck. Will be interesting to see how many show up after that loss for tonight's Samford game; will be a good indicator of how resilient their crowd is.

Apart from their opener, all of their home games so far were played on nights before days which most people do not work. If they were 2,000 short of a sell out crowd for their Tuesday-home-opener... I can't imagine they'll draw any more than that for a Tuesday yawner after two horrible losses. But I reserve the right to be wrong.

(Meanwhile, we got only 17,881 - sans students - to show up to the only home game we have played on a night before a day off... though it happened to be played on the most notorious travel day of the year. With two Saturday night games coming up I expect (re:hope) we'll start seeing less embarrassing turnouts.

P.S. - can anyone explain to me how its possible for their Baylor attendance to have been 24,192 ... about 700 people beyond capacity? They have a standing-room-only? They count employees?

Rupp Arena capacity is 23,500 ... Kentucky hadn't sold out a game until last game vs. Baylor. Their home opener drew 21,360. Then 21,897... 22, 222 ... and then 24,192 turned out to watch that Saturday night train wreck. Will be interesting to see how many show up after that loss for tonight's Samford game; will be a good indicator of how resilient their crowd is.

Apart from their opener, all of their home games so far were played on nights before days which most people do not work. If they were 2,000 short of a sell out crowd for their Tuesday-home-opener... I can't imagine they'll draw any more than that for a Tuesday yawner after two horrible losses. But I reserve the right to be wrong.

(Meanwhile, we got only 17,881 - sans students - to show up to the only home game we have played on a night before a day off... though it happened to be played on the most notorious travel day of the year. With two Saturday night games coming up I expect (re:hope) we'll start seeing less embarrassing turnouts.

P.S. - can anyone explain to me how its possible for their Baylor attendance to have been 24,192 ... about 700 people beyond capacity? They have a standing-room-only? They count employees?

Thanks for the info.

Attendance at hockey arenas sometimes goes over capacity as well -- and I beleive its due to standing room.

...except it is probably the game that JB ties Bobby Knight in wins. I admit to the occasional wasted season ticket, but this wont be one of the games I miss.

If anything, that should cause a significant boost in attendance for two of the worst tickets of the season. Come to think of it, we have a damn good chance at retaking the attendance title from Kentucky this year if the AD advertises right, the casual fans realize it, and they get on board with making a push for this year's title. It's sooo ripe for the taking this year.

- Kentucky is still drunk off its NC and its fanbase is much less energized than usual.
- Kentucky is having a disappointing start to their season, they wont be soaring at the top of the rankings at least for a while, which will clean out some of the bandwagon.
- Syracuse is making its farewell lap around the big east and will draw numbers purely for the big east curtain call.
- Syracuse is surprisingly good in a relative down year of college bball, giving us a reasonable chance at a NC, and likely to be ranked pretty high all season (knock on wood).
- Boeheim will be reaching two ginormous coaching milestones on what would otherwise be two of the worst attended games of the season... exactly the type of games that have always sandbagged our attendance average & kept us from challenging Kentucky's attn. #

Honestly, if we can't retake the attendance title this year then we don't deserve to hold it ever again. This is like a perfect storm of attendance 'weather', and what better way to exit the Big East than with Orange Nation as the biggest bball program in the country?

Probably too late for that. Week-long Thanksgiving break took away three games' worth of students. We had over 5,500 fewer people at the Wagner home opener than the Fordham and Nothern Iowa openers in the past two seasons. We don't play a name team at home in December (those don't draw great, but it's the difference between 23,000 and change and 17 or 18,000). Our Christmas break slate is less attractive than last year's. 3:30 and 6:00 weekday tip times will keep some people away. And Kentucky will keep good numbers as they accumulate some wins.

The 900 thing is cool for Boeheim and cool for us, but we drew a tiny crowd for his last milestine (Albany in 2009 - a home opener, no less). And the post-Christmas games usually aren't the worst gates of the year - those happen around this time, when we're usually playing dogs, the novelty of the early season has worn off, and students are taking exams. Hopefully the last Big East go-round gets some people into the building. Georgetown, in particular, should be a huge one.

The perfect attendance storm was actually last season; attendance was lower than expected for Marquette, South Florida, and West Virginia and we didn't come out on top.