Alcorn St attendance | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alcorn St attendance

Rupp Arena capacity is 23,500 ... Kentucky hadn't sold out a game until last game vs. Baylor. Their home opener drew 21,360. Then 21,897... 22, 222 ... and then 24,192 turned out to watch that Saturday night train wreck. Will be interesting to see how many show up after that loss for tonight's Samford game; will be a good indicator of how resilient their crowd is.

Apart from their opener, all of their home games so far were played on nights before days which most people do not work. If they were 2,000 short of a sell out crowd for their Tuesday-home-opener... I can't imagine they'll draw any more than that for a Tuesday yawner after two horrible losses. But I reserve the right to be wrong.

(Meanwhile, we got only 17,881 - sans students - to show up to the only home game we have played on a night before a day off... though it happened to be played on the most notorious travel day of the year. With two Saturday night games coming up I expect (re:hope) we'll start seeing less embarrassing turnouts.

P.S. - can anyone explain to me how its possible for their Baylor attendance to have been 24,192 ... about 700 people beyond capacity? They have a standing-room-only? They count employees?

Many arenas do count employees. Don't know the specifics about Rupp. Fire codes have put the kibosh on SRO in most places (if not everywhere).

the Alcorn game was part of this "gotham classic" thing that also includes the game in MSG vs. Temple. I heard on the 97.7 afternoon show that SU was not happy about getting Alcorn St. forced on them by the gotham classic organizers.