Alec Lemon | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alec Lemon

Prime example is Adam Archuleta that it can be done. Out of HS and before college he ran a 4.82 and 4 years later at the combine he ran a 4.37. Almost a .5 second increase in over 4 years, is that magical? No. He also went from a 265 bench to a 530 bench using Russian training techniques, mostly explosive lifts. Going back to exactly what I said about power to weight ratio.

Taking a slow guy who has not been conditioned or trained can definitely go from bad scores to very good. I myself went from a 4.85 my Junior year in HS to a 4.6 my senior year and in the mid 4.5's my freshman year in college while I went from a weight of 150 to nearly 180.

Archeletta was suspected of major steroid use while at ASU and Washington first and foremost. His laser timed 40 was a 4.46 at the 2001 combine. Listen, I played D3 college ball like a lot of people here. That's still not a jump of 5.2 to 4.5 as you stated earlier. That's an improvement of .36. We also don't know what conditions Adam ran his first 40 under. Was it on grass, into the wind, was he poor off the blocks? It doesn't mean that Adam became much faster as a football player, rather he LEARNED how to run a 40 yard dash that much faster. He truly probably improved his speed by .1 to .2 tops.

I'm not arguing that 40 times do not get better with proper strength and conditioning. I was a mid 4.6 kid in high school and was a low 4.5 kid when I left school. These were also timed on tracks, not turf. To me, the 40 has become an event for fans to talk about but has little use in the NFL. I liken it to teachers preparing students to just take a test -- they may not really be getting smarter or learning anything, they just know what the answers are.

As a player coming out of school today -- you have to attend one of these speed schools. It is assumed that every player goes to one of these things, so now everyone knows how to shave .05 or so off their time.

And I hear you on getting old, I just tossed my back out deadlifting on Saturday.

At some point you reach the point of dominishing returns. Anything sub 4.6 is a quick time and all the training in the world won't cut a ton of time unless you have some serious God given talent that hadn't been utilized by any of your coaches along the way. It's alot easier to turn a 4.9 into a 4.6 than it is to turn a 4.7 into a 4.4.

Terrance Williams ran a 4.52 and DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.57. Both are serious playmakers and will get drafted based on more than just their 40 times. I think Lemon gets drafted as well due to game performances and work ethic. Denard ran a 4.43 and by all accounts he was the fastest player on the field most of his career. Tavon Austin running a 4.34 is disgustingly fast but not surprising at all considering he's 5'8 180 and was probably a legit 4.4 guy coming out of HS.

We also don't know what conditions Adam ran his first 40 under. Was it on grass, into the wind, was he poor off the blocks? It doesn't mean that Adam became much faster as a football player, rather he LEARNED how to run a 40 yard dash that much faster.

Bingo. HS 40 times must be taken with a grain of salt, while the NFL combine is a controlled environment.

That is incorrect. I have it on good authority that Shamarko ran a 4.6 while still in his backpedal.

You forgot that he was also barefoot, running over hot coals.

He ran his 40 while bench pressing a horse, and it actually improved his best time.

If anyone can find the magic to make a 5.2 guy run a 4.6 that person would be rich as all hell, and would most likely be a wizard rivaled only by Gandalf.

That's taking an NFL guard and giving him WR speed. You do realize the average 40 time for WR's over the last 5 years at the combine is 4.56?

I don't think Hoov is saying guys don't need to train. Most NFL lifts are built upon building explosive strength, things like power cleans, deadlifts, etc. And yes, speed schools do exist. And can probably help a guy shave any where from .05 to a tenth of a second off. But at that level, it's teaching straight up 40 time technique such as a very long first step (see Defranco's training) that would get you blasted on the field.
Training can make you faster. A guy named Parisi built a company on it, and my son made Varsity soccer as a sophomore with a lot if help from it. Strength, flexibility and technique are huge for training.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

At some point you reach the point of dominishing returns. Anything sub 4.6 is a quick time and all the training in the world won't cut a ton of time unless you have some serious God given talent that hadn't been utilized by any of your coaches along the way. It's alot easier to turn a 4.9 into a 4.6 than it is to turn a 4.7 into a 4.4.

Terrance Williams ran a 4.52 and DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.57. Both are serious playmakers and will get drafted based on more than just their 40 times. I think Lemon gets drafted as well due to game performances and work ethic. Denard ran a 4.43 and by all accounts he was the fastest player on the field most of his career. Tavon Austin running a 4.34 is disgustingly fast but not surprising at all considering he's 5'8 180 and was probably a legit 4.4 guy coming out of HS.

Tavon, Denard and those type of guys have functional speed along with ridiculous lateral speed and quickness. Much different than straight line speed.

I do like how Shamarko and Diabate shut him down in the Pinstripe Bowl. It seemed he was pretty frustrated.

Tavon, Denard and those type of guys have functional speed along with ridiculous lateral speed and quickness. Much different than straight line speed.

I do like how Shamarko and Diabate shut him down in the Pinstripe Bowl. It seemed he was pretty frustrated.

Tavon Austin is a stud athlete and I can't wait to see how nfl teams utilize him. Ridiculous is the proper term for his ability and possibly would've been the case for Denard if he didn't play out of position during his college career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom