All aboard | Syracusefan.com

All aboard

SU2NASA

All American
The Ashton Broyld Fan Club train is pulling out of the station.

witnesses.jpg

I just have a bad feeling he won't get a fair shot at QB next year. It seems like a Catch-22. If he does poorly this season, then you could say he isn't as athletic and as much of a game changer as we thought, and without that what's the point of him at QB if he isn't that great of a passer. And then, if he DOES do really well this season, the cries will be about why move him to QB with Allen coming in and move him elsewhere.

I just have a bad feeling he won't get a fair shot at QB next year. It seems like a Catch-22. If he does poorly this season, then you could say he isn't as athletic and as much of a game changer as we thought, and without that what's the point of him at QB if he isn't that great of a passer. And then, if he DOES do really well this season, the cries will be about why move him to QB with Allen coming in and move him elsewhere.
Nassib (and others) probably have a much better grasp of the playbook etc. than Broyld does. That's to be expected. You have a 5th year senior who started 3 years and it would take a lot to unseat him. However, you may be looking at the glass half empty. The half-full view is that Marrone knows the kid is a playmaker and it trying many ways to get him on the field. I don't see this in any way as an omen he will not get a fair shot at QB. I think he will...maybe even this year depending on how the season goes and how Nassib does. Frankly, I hope they can keep in learning mode this year and if he ends up playing a lot at QB...well, that's probably not going to be for good reasons.

Ill take broyld at ANY position that allows him to help us win games. It seems that with his size he would be the perfect wide receiver if he can catch well. He def has the potential to be a game changer at QB as we all saw in his high school years. Kid is just one of those do it all/insane athlete types that we are lucky as hell to have, and i hope we get every ounce of what he has out of him.

It will be interesting to see if Marrone puts Broyld in for set plays much like he did with Nassib while Paulus was here. Maybe get him some exposure without rattling him.

He is probably the best athlete on the team.

I would have to think that the coaches would want the best athlete on the team to have the ball on as many plays as possible.

I'm sure he will be given every chance to succeed at QB.

Broyld will play this year, you can guarantee that.

I would have to think that the coaches would want the best athlete on the team to have the ball as many plays as possible.

Me too.

Our teams in the past have significantly lacked playmakers. This kid is a playmaker; he will play. I am excited for this year. Back to the third level-- Student section, you will be missed.

You have to wonder. If he is learning the playbook or even set plays at possibly 3 positions, how much time will he have to focus on really learning the QB position? Obviously you want a playmaker like Ashton on the field any way possible, but will it stunt his growth at QB??

I would have to think that the coaches would want the best athlete on the team to have the ball on as many plays as possible.

Agreed. Whether it's at QB or not would, I would think, be largely up to him and his ability to command a huddle, absorb the playbook, make the proper reads, and effectively execute the offense. I know- "duh". But is his cerebral abilities aren't able to match his athletic abilities, he may remain in a slash role and never truly be a starting QB. Regardless, every effort will be made to involve his skill set in the offense from now until his career ends.

You have to wonder. If he is learning the playbook or even set plays at possibly 3 positions, how much time will he have to focus on really learning the QB position? Obviously you want a playmaker like Ashton on the field any way possible, but will it stunt his growth at QB??

That certainly is a risk. But we have a firmly entrenched fifth-year senior / 3 year starter at QB, and if the intent is to get as many playmakers as possible out on the field this year, then the coaches need to find creative ways to involve Broyld in the offensive game plan. I'm all in favor of that, given the kid's athletic ability and versatility.

I think that the coaches can worry about next year after the season ends. At that point, a decision will have to be made about whether it is in the best interests of the team to have Broyld at QB full time, or whether he continues as a "slash." With Nassib graduating, we have a big hole and a ton of question marks at QB heading into 2013, so competition should be wide open. My opinion only, but I think that Broyld will benefit from being worked into the weekly gameplan and garnering some PT this year, even if he isn't 100% dedicated to QB in practice. That may [or may not] give him a leg up on the competition heading into next season--that's entirely up to the kid, his learning curve, his potential, his ability at QB to make throws, etc.--but bottom line, if he helps us win an extra game or two this year than it is a risk I'm willing to take.

I dont know im torn. If Hunt or Charlie or one of the hot shots comes through at QB having Ash on the field with them just provides one more weapon. I actually like Hunt at QB and Ash in the slot. With the Funder coming in and a stable of backs in the fold next year could be pretty exciting on O

Our teams in the past have significantly lacked playmakers. This kid is a playmaker; he will play. I am excited for this year. Back to the third level-- Student section, you will be missed.

Defeated by inability to get the student section to keep their keys in their pockets eh?:D

Agreed. Whether it's at QB or not would, I would think, be largely up to him and his ability to command a huddle, absorb the playbook, make the proper reads, and effectively execute the offense. I know- "duh". But is his cerebral abilities aren't able to match his athletic abilities, he may remain in a slash role and never truly be a starting QB. Regardless, every effort will be made to involve his skill set in the offense from now until his career ends.

I have no reason to believe that he lacks the ability to command a huddle, learn the playbook or make the right reads.

My only concern has been his throwing motion.

Other than that, he has demonstrated the ability to operate at the position - I have every belief that if he can tweek the motion, he can play at the college level quite well.

I hope so at least.

I dont know im torn. If Hunt or Charlie or one of the hot shots comes through at QB having Ash on the field with them just provides one more weapon. I actually like Hunt at QB and Ash in the slot. With the Funder coming in and a stable of backs in the fold next year could be pretty exciting on O

No disrespect to Charley or Hunt, but neither one of them is a proven commodity. The same holds true from Broyld, Allen, and Wilson too. But bottom line, we need one of them to emerge.

I couldn't care less which one of them ends up being the guy, so long as at least one of them is up to the task.

Over/under on the first 'ASHTON is being MARRONED' thread? I'm going to say after the Minnesota game.

I'm sorry NASA, i just cant get onboard with you. I am too upset about Marrone missing out on Williams and Jones, the two highest rated players in NY. ;)

He's learning what many positions do. Sounds like QB training to me.

Defeated by inability to get the student section to keep their keys in their pockets eh?:D

The worst. Talking at mid-volume makes more noise than rattling around 1 dorm room key attached to a "[insert high school] class of [insert graduation year] key chain".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom