All-In Recruiting Strategy | Syracusefan.com

All-In Recruiting Strategy

JazzNC

Starter
I think we'd be better served if we stop pursuing 5 star guys. Let them sign with UK, Duke and Kansas, etc. Go for 4 star guys and high level 3 star program guys. Get back to what made SU the program it is. We're a blue collar team. Not to mention it's hard to replace the one and done players.

I think we need to also offer MORE guys, and take the first four star guys that fit a program need. Enough waiting for the prima donnas. Do you want to play 'Cuse ball or not? If they do, they'll know we will move on from them if they don't sign. A more high pressure sale. No more putting all our eggs in one basket. Something needs to change. The college game has changed and we need to evolve too.

A shout out to JT and EA... you are wanted and needed in an Orange uniform!

Last edited:
I want to preface this post by saying that I'm still optimistic that we can get Tucker and or Ayala. I'm not trying to put out any negative vibes.

That said, this all-in recruiting strategy backfired with Quade. I hope HW can be a viable PG option, but I don't think he's the same caliber player as QG.

Now we are all in on EA. He may or may not reclassify. We are all in on JT. He may or may not sign here.

In the meantime the available recruits are dwindling away. So many recruits are signing elsewhere because we're putting all our eggs in one basket.

I'd much prefer that we stop pursuing 5 star guys all together. Let them sign with UK, Duke and Kansas, etc. Go for 4 star guys and high level 3 star program guys. Get back to what made SU the program it is. We're a blue collar team. Not to mention it's hard to replace the one and done players.

I think we need to also offer more guys, and take the first four star guys that sign that fit a program need. Enough waiting for the prima donnas. Do you want to play 'Cuse ball or not? If they do, they'll know we will move on from them if they don't sign. A more high pressure sale. Something needs to change. The college game has changed and we need to evolve too.

In 2000, SU went 0-fer on NYC point guards Omar Cook (St. John's), Andre Barrett (Seton Hall) and T.Brown (UCan't). What do all the people here with agendas and all the answers say to that? No eggs. No baskets. Just 0-fer.

Listen, I don't have all the answers either. But do we have to blame someone or something for every non-ideal development, be it in recruiting or life? I know this is a message board, but it is exhausting. Sure, we lost out on Quade, bit that is not evidence that the SU machine is as broken as some here would purport.

In 2000, SU went 0-fer on NYC point guards Omar Cook (St. John's), Andre Barrett (Seton Hall) and T.Brown (UCan't). What do all the people here with agendas and all the answers say to that? No eggs. No baskets. Just 0-fer.

Listen, I don't have all the answers either. But do we have to blame someone or something for every non-ideal development, be it in recruiting or life? I know this is a message board, but it is exhausting. Sure, we lost out on Quade, bit that is not evidence that the SU machine is as broken as some here would purport.

I don't think the SU machine is broken, and am still reasonably optimistic about landing EA and JT. I'm simply saying that the college game has changed. Recruiting has changed. The fact is we are missing a lot of guys in a crucial year for the program. If you buy that JB will coach for 5 more years, this is his last hurrah. Outside of a miracle run to the FF two years ago, we have been mediocre for several years by our own standards.

I'm just saying we need to change our tactics a bit. We can't afford to recruit only certain guys and certain geographical areas. That ship has sailed. Modern technology (internet, mix tapes etc) give exposure to kids unlike ever before. We're not broken but we need some fine tuning in a hurry. Go Orange!

I agree. But, if the 4 star guy will sign, you take him over the 5 star guy. No all in strategy anymore!

I agree. But, if the 4 star guy will sign, you take him over the 5 star guy. No all in strategy anymore!
We should start this strategy with the Ayala and Waters situation.

Outside of a miracle run to the FF two years ago...
whatever_large.gif

I knew a guy who was dating 5 women at the same time.

Until they all found out about each other.

H ended up with no eggs and no basket. :cool:

Haha! I get what you're saying, but recruiting is a business, a bit different than dating. Yes there are egos involved with players. But if you play your cards right you can recruit more than one guy without hurting the player. These kids aren't dumb. They know that schools have to fill their roster with quality players. We are Syracuse for Gods sake... it's not like we're Rutgers. You get a 4 star kid, you take him over the 5 star kid that's waiting for a UK offer every time!

He ended up with no eggs and no basket. :cool:

But you keep the pipeline flowing. If you lose them all at once you have to remember there are 5 more (and even more out there). Go out, meet 7-10, cut it down to date 5 and then either roll with the 5 or cut down the 5 to the one you like and see a future with.

I think we'd be better served if we stop pursuing 5 star guys. Let them sign with UK, Duke and Kansas, etc. Go for 4 star guys and high level 3 star program guys. Get back to what made SU the program it is. We're a blue collar team. Not to mention it's hard to replace the one and done players.

I think we need to also offer MORE guys, and take the first four star guys that fit a program need. Enough waiting for the prima donnas. Do you want to play 'Cuse ball or not? If they do, they'll know we will move on from them if they don't sign. A more high pressure sale. No more putting all our eggs in one basket. Something needs to change. The college game has changed and we need to evolve too.

Actually I would say landing the blue Chip recruits (Pearl) is what made the SU program what it is

Actually I would say landing the blue Chip recruits (Pearl) is what made the SU program what it is

All right... maybe you don't completely stop recruiting 5 star players, but if a 4 star guy will sign you take him over the 5 star guy waiting for the likes of UK, Duke, etc. EVERY TIME. No more waiting and getting left at the alter.

Is it an in home visit

It was.

Was supposed to be at her house at 630, but got a call from another one at 5 saying she wanted to go to the softball field and play some catch, so I tell 630 that I'm going to be late, play some softball with the one, run home and shower then ended up at the originals at 830. Works been crazy lately, trying to juggle all this is putting too many miles on the car, a dent in the bank account and my sanity.

All that said, would LOVE to settle down, but finding a nice long term woman in Vegas is very difficult.

It was.

Was supposed to be at her house at 630, but got a call from another one at 5 saying she wanted to go to the softball field and play some catch, so I tell 630 that I'm going to be late, play some softball with the one, run home and shower then ended up at the originals at 830. Works been crazy lately, trying to juggle all this is putting too many miles on the car, a dent in the bank account and my sanity.

All that said, would LOVE to settle down, but finding a nice long term woman in Vegas is very difficult.
It really isn't difficult at all. All you have to do is change your definition of long term. Say long term is 5 days. Problem solved.

Or Anthony?

I love our programs history, while I'm not buying the stock now, we've always been steady and always have been seemingly a contender. But yes, Pearl, Anthony, DC, Owens, and every top 10 recruit we've ever had has made a substantial mark on our program, Pearl for putting us on the map and Anthony bringing us a title. These guys are soooooo important that they're almost underrated by our base when some say "let's just get 4 year program guys".

It really isn't difficult at all. All you have to do is change your definition of long term. Say long term is 5 days. Problem solved.

Touche.

He ended up with no eggs and no basket. :cool:

Kids are looking at more than one school. They in turn know that most programs are looking at more than one player.

Can't have another Green situation where it is a one way deal, that is - he can look & we can't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom