All these threads about offensive numbers is getting beyond stupid | Syracusefan.com

All these threads about offensive numbers is getting beyond stupid

retro44

Living Legend
on this board. We now have Armchair Q,B.'S, Armchair Doctors and now we have Armchair Pyschiatrists that want analyze every offensive play and reasons why.

The only freaking numbers I care about come in the win/loss column. Every week we can find games where the losing team has a lot more offensive numbers than the winning team.

on this board. We now have Armchair Q,B.'S, Armchair Doctors and now we have Armchair Pyschiatrists that want analyze every offensive play and reasons why.

The only freaking numbers I care about come in the win/loss column. Every week we can find games where the losing team has a lot more offensive numbers than the winning team.

Does make it simpler. But that's like just looking at box scores and not watching the game.

More info = better informed = smarter opinion

Well the wins and losses dont matter to some folks here either. So we are only supposed to use the "eye" test?

Well the wins and losses dont matter to some folks here either. So we are only supposed to use the "eye" test?

I should just cut and paste this for people:

Team A is 7-0.
Team B is 3-4.

Team A plays a SOS of 112.
Team B plays a SOS of 25.

Which team is better?

Team A is 7-0.
Team B is 3-4.

Which team is better?

7-0 team. You play who's on the schedule. Everyone schedules for success except our administration. Oh wait, this year the schedule did set up nicely for success

Does make it simpler. But that's like just looking at box scores and not watching the game.

More info = better informed = smarter opinion

I think you missed my point as there has been about 30-5,000 different formulas being used to rank where our offense is nationally and the same for defense.

It's just plain nuts trying to follow everyone's newly discovered website on statistical numbers......It's like the look at "ME" thread as I now have discovered why we suck on offense.

I prefer the website K.I.S.S..

Interesting post. If you don't care about the numbers besides W/L than why do you read the posts regarding advanced statistics? Additionally, I'm surprised you didn't name Armchair Coaches in your post and the number of regurgitated Fire the Coach posts that are much more prominent on this board than meaningful statistical analysis.

Of course, any fan cares about wins and losses but the continued use by fans/reporters of Total Offense (ypg) is a neanderthal way of thinking when so much data is available at this time. Advanced analytics and statistical analysis is a multi-million dollar business for a reason. Any research of successful professional sports management will tell you the same. If the guys that run teams for profit and to make their living use statistics I'm not quite sure why we wouldn't do the same. How do you get better if you don't know where you need to get better? The old score more points than the other team argument doesn't actually provide any solution to the issue.

I certainly understand that some here and at the newspaper like the shock value of calling us the 115th best offense in the country. However, its a false premise and I am glad that some people are able to see through that continuing false narrative.

Interesting post. If you don't care about the numbers besides W/L than why do you read the posts regarding advanced statistics? Additionally, I'm surprised you didn't name Armchair Coaches in your post and the number of regurgitated Fire the Coach posts that are much more prominent on this board than meaningful statistical analysis.

Of course, any fan cares about wins and losses but the continued use by fans/reporters of Total Offense (ypg) is a neanderthal way of thinking when so much data is available at this time. Advanced analytics and statistical analysis is a multi-million dollar business for a reason. Any research of successful professional sports management will tell you the same. If the guys that run teams for profit and to make their living use statistics I'm not quite sure why we wouldn't do the same. How do you get better if you don't know where you need to get better? The old score more points than the other team argument doesn't actually provide any solution to the issue.

I certainly understand that some here and at the newspaper like the shock value of calling us the 115th best offense in the country. However, its a false premise and I am glad that some people are able to see through that continuing false narrative.
Haven't you noticed that way too many threads morph into these threads when they don't start out this way.

Seemingly every thread over the past two weeks has melted into the same discussion. It's horrendous.

What else is there to talk about? I'm being 100% serious. The wins havent been there. Cant talk about that. The stellar play of the team? Bowl destinations? Hotel accommodations? Airfare? Coaches strategy vs X upcoming opponent?

You can see how and why the board messages seemingly have melted in the same discussion right?

What else is there to talk about? I'm being 100% serious. The wins havent been there. Cant talk about that. The stellar play of the team? Bowl destinations? Hotel accommodations? Airfare? Coaches strategy vs X upcoming opponent?

You can see how and why the board messages seemingly have melted in the same discussion right?
No, not really. Everybody just wants to keep banging their drum in regards to should he stay or should he go. Devote one thread to it.

No, not really. Everybody just wants to keep banging their drum in regards to should he stay or should he go. Devote one thread to it.

Or...don't click on the thread.

Team A is 7-0.
Team B is 3-4.

Which team is better?

Not enough data to know, but I'd lean towards Team A absent any other info.

Scooch said:
Not enough data to know, but I'd lean towards Team A absent any other info.

That's exactly why we pore over different stats - to tell the difference.

Finwad32 said:
Seemingly every thread over the past two weeks has melted into the same discussion. It's horrendous.

Most seasons since '99 have melted down just like this one. So, it's hard to not want something different.

Am I the only one who just doesn't care?

I'm so numb to syracuse football that all of this just doesn't matter to me. Actually it's all hilarious.

I think it's beyond stupid that over the past 15 years college football has had an explosion in offense, and we completely missed the boat even though we arguably were the program best positioned in the entire country to take advantage of that.

GoHamSU said:
Am I the only one who just doesn't care? I'm so numb to syracuse football that all of this just doesn't matter to me. Actually it's all hilarious.

The only thing sadder than this post is if someone took the time .. to ... respond

Crap

OttoinGrotto said:
I think it's beyond stupid that over the past 15 years college football has had an explosion in offense, and we completely missed the boat even though we arguably were the program best positioned in the entire country to take advantage of that.

This is a new take from you. Appreciate the candor.

GoHamSU said:
Am I the only one who just doesn't care? I'm so numb to syracuse football that all of this just doesn't matter to me. Actually it's all hilarious.

Maybe it's just me, but I care about every game every season.

We'll always have LSU.

7-0 team. You play who's on the schedule. Everyone schedules for success except our administration. Oh wait, this year the schedule did set up nicely for success

Maybe it's just me, but I care about every game every season.

So do I. But I don't care about these threads and I am completely numb to the outcome of the games by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom