All-time all athletic team for Syracuse each positions | Syracusefan.com

All-time all athletic team for Syracuse each positions

20plus

2nd String
Pg- Johnny Flynn can’t think of anybody else close. Michael Lloyd was pretty athletic!

Sg- Stevie Thompson or Tony Red Bruin can’t think of anybody else close either. Tyus but Tyus wasn’t Stevie or Bruin!

Sf- there’s a ton of Small Forwards that I can think of that are super athletic. Paul Harris, Wes Johnson, I think Jeremy Grant played both three and four

pf- I think I’m gonna go with Hak here over Jeremy Grant.

Centers - we actually had at least 3 very athletic centers Jeremy McNeil, Conrad McRae, Ronnie Seikaly!

My final squads- Flynn, Thompson, Grant, Hak, McRae

Pg- Johnny Flynn can’t think of anybody else close. Michael Lloyd was pretty athletic!

Sg- Stevie Thompson or Tony Red Bruin can’t think of anybody else close either. Tyus but Tyus wasn’t Stevie or Bruin!

Sf- there’s a ton of Small Forwards that I can think of that are super athletic. Paul Harris, Wes Johnson, I think Jeremy Grant played both three and four

Centers - we actually had at least 3 very athletic centers Jeremy McNeil, Conrad McRae, Ronnie Seikaly!

Jason Hart, Dion, Jerami, Tyler Lydon, Fab Melo

I never thought of Melo as an elite athlete -- he was always kind of heavy footed. I think he made up for fairly average speed and agility with incredible skill and craftiness (similar to Paul Pierce, Dirk, Larry Bird, etc.)

I feel like Dave Johnson needs to be in the mix here.

I love Pearl Washington, but go back and watch some old games, he was not fast, and he could jump about as well as I can (not well). With the ball in his hands in the open court he was magical, but he can’t be considered on anybody’s all-athletic team.

I can't get over how athletic Stevie was.

I also can't get over how as a shooting guard he just can't shoot, not even free throws. I think DC had the highest FT shooting percentage on those golden years teams.

Last edited:

Any team not having DC on it is out of the question. He could defend at least 2 positions. He could rebound bring the ball up the floor, shoot, pass other teams were afraid of him. The Georgetown and Syracuse series didn't become a rivalry until DC got here, we finally won and dominated them.

I’m not sure about a bunch of positions. But I definitely want Wes & Hak on my squad.

Any team not having DC on it is out of the question. He could defend at least 2 positions. He could rebound bring the ball up the floor, shoot, pass other teams were afraid of him. The Georgetown and Syracuse series didn't become a rivalry until DC got here, we finally won and dominated them.
Dc was the man but skill and athletic made him top pick

Quickest team:
Dave Bing
Stevie T
J. Flynn
D.C.
Conrad McRae

Last edited:
This is a lot harder than I thought. Is athletic jumping ability? Strength? Dexterity? Or a combination of them all.

I’ll go top three in each position…but no order because I think people define athleticism differently.

PG Flynn, Sherman, Richmond (ouch)
SG Dion, Dave Johnson, Bruin
SF Wes, Stevie, Southerland
PF Hak, Jerami, DC
C Rony, Etan, Rosie

Cant just rank them on success on the court. But these were players I saw that made physical plays that made me say, wow. - I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that before.”

the one guy not on this list that needs to be there is Billy. His athleticism is underrated. He’d probably replace Bruin, and then I’d slide Stevie to SG. Stevie wasn’t a guard, he was a utility player who happened to play with a PG, two forwards and a center. He didn’t play the game like a guard, he played like a forward. The fact that he couldn’t shoot, had a really weak handle, and was only 6’2” 1/2 and still scored nearly 2,000 points is insane.

Love Pearl but this is one of the few lists he does not make and if we are honest not even close.
PG: Flynn and Sherman
SG: D Johnson and Bruin
SF:Wes and Billy
PF: Hak and Jerami
Center: Rak, Etan and Conrad

Honorable mention: Orr, Bouie and Stevie

This is a lot harder than I thought. Is athletic jumping ability? Strength? Dexterity? Or a combination of them all.

I’ll go top three in each position…but no order because I think people define athleticism differently.

PG Flynn, Sherman, Richmond (ouch)
SG Dion, Dave Johnson, Bruin
SF Wes, Stevie, Southerland
PF Hak, Jerami, DC
C Rony, Etan, Rosie

Cant just rank them on success on the court. But these were players I saw that made physical plays that made me say, wow. - I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that before.”

the one guy not on this list that needs to be there is Billy. His athleticism is underrated. He’d probably replace Bruin, and then I’d slide Stevie to SG. Stevie wasn’t a guard, he was a utility player who happened to play with a PG, two forwards and a center. He didn’t play the game like a guard, he played like a forward. The fact that he couldn’t shoot, had a really weak handle, and was only 6’2” 1/2 and still scored nearly 2,000 points is insane.
Agree... When you think about it, I'd put Billy ahead of Wes (with DJ right there)

I look at "athletic" as physical ability and coordination only, not really their overall game.

Mine with best traits:

Flynn- Quick, coordinated, explosive, physical and hops
Stevie- Effortless hops (dude floated), body control and finishing
Billy-Size, speed, physical and body control
Hak- Length, Hops, body control and whatever the dictionary defines as athletic! Hak has it.
Conrad- Explosive, physical and hops

...I look at "athletic" as physical ability and coordination only, not really their overall game...
By the standard I might have to take Donovan McNabb at small forward.

Hakeem Warrick is probably the most all-around athletic player. Explosive.

The least athletic player of all time isn't up for debate.
There's no issue.
The second sentence in his bio says it all.

By the standard I might have to take Donovan McNabb at small forward.

Hakeem Warrick is probably the most all-around athletic player. Explosive.

The least athletic player of all time isn't up for debate.
There's no issue.
The second sentence in his bio says it all.

Nah... Don was football athletic... but did have basketball hops!

Agree... When you think about it, I'd put Billy ahead of Wes (with DJ right there)

I look at "athletic" as physical ability and coordination only, not really their overall game.

Mine with best traits:

Flynn- Quick, coordinated, explosive, physical and hops
Stevie- Effortless hops (dude floated), body control and finishing
Billy-Size, speed, physical and body control
Hak- Length, Hops, body control and whatever the dictionary defines as athletic! Hak has it.
Conrad- Explosive, physical and hops
I love Conrad McRae. But Rony was an incredible athlete and should get the definitive nod here. Don’t shove him aside. He started in the rough and tumble Big East as a true freshman walkon at a time when most offenses ran through the blocks and he competed with the likes of Ewing, Pinkney, Cliff Robinson, Mark Bryant, Bill Wennington, and got better every year. He started as a true frosh walkon not because he could shoot or score. Rather, it was that he was in the same athletic realm as the players listed above, all of whom played in the NBA. I mean, remember, Rony was the 9th overall pick in they draft and averaged (almost) 15 and 10 for his career. Not bad.

Seems like everybody here is defining athletic as having hops, I would say it should be overall coordination, thus my team is:

Bing
Melo
Owens
tie between Rony and Rosy
tie between Sherm and Pearl

maybe my ties are cop outs, but I can’t choose between the two in both cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom