All-Time College Football AP Poll | Syracusefan.com

All-Time College Football AP Poll

Eric15

Living Legend
We are #41. The lack of any appearances in the Top 25 in the past 15 years certainly dinged us. I would be interested in knowing where we stood in this poll as of the year 2000, probably 5-10 spots higher.

The Top 100

And coming in just behind Holy Cross (# 85) & just ahead of Datmouth (# 87) -- The New Jersey State University. Chop wood baby!

if they give a point for every week in the Top 25, then the last 15 years absolutely crushed Syracuse.

if Syracuse did in the 00s, what all you wanted P fired for in the 90s...the Orange would be in the Top 25.

That will help immensely as well. So will the 2018/2019.
Haha I was mainly saying that since Clemson wins in 2016 but you have my respect.

Haha I was mainly saying that since Clemson wins in 2016 but you have my respect.
We end Clemson's title run on November 5th.

1200x600.jpg

We are also approaching the 20 year anniversary of the last time we appeared in the AP Top 10 (the preseason poll of the 1996 season when we were #9).

Come on, Dino. Please get us back where we belong.

Pitt is Fn 23.

without this draught, we would be right there or better.

Pitt is Fn 23.

without this draught, we would be right there or better.

Our history is actually extremely comparable to Pitt's, possibly more so than any other school.

Pitt is Fn 23.

The similarities between us and Pitt is actually kind of amazing.

We both have one modern era national title. We both have one Heisman trophy winner. We both have a slew of other legendary players in both the college and pro Hall of Fames. We are 25th all time in wins, they are 26th. They lead the all-time series 37-31-1 (pretty close). Syracuse's longest ever winning streak vs Pitt is 11 games. Pitt's longest ever winning streak vs us is 11 games. We both joined the Big East and ACC in the same seasons.

Also, both universities reside in states that will probably go to Hillary Clinton in the election. (hah! you already liked my post Kaiser)

Our history is actually extremely comparable to Pitt's, possibly more so than any other school.
yep.

Chip often points that out.

we actually take turns being good.

it would be something if we both could be 8-10 win teams for a decade+

If I understand the scoring system and assuming I didn't miss anything, from 1987 through 1998 we earned 104 points in that time frame for over 8 points a season (which is actually the number of points we received in 2001, the only year we were ranked after 1998).

If we had kept at that pace (average of 8 points per season) from 1999 onward our total points now would be 349 which is good enough for 24th spot just behind Pitt and just ahead of Wisconsin.

If we did half as well we would have 281 total points which is good enough for 31st spot, just ahead of VT.

So frustrating. :bang:

Cheers,
Neil

if they give a point for every week in the Top 25, then the last 15 years absolutely crushed Syracuse.

if Syracuse did in the 00s, what all you wanted P fired for in the 90s...the Orange would be in the Top 25.

Really? Haven't we already concluded that the program had grown stale, stagnant, and was beginning to regress under P&D? No one could foresee the complete and catastrophic collapse that followed due to he who will not be named. Getting rid of P was not the problem. The awful hire that followed most definitely was.

If I understand the scoring system and assuming I didn't miss anything, from 1987 through 1998 we earned 104 points in that time frame for over 8 points a season (which is actually the number of points we received in 2001, the only year we were ranked after 1998).

If we had kept at that pace (average of 8 points per season) from 1999 onward our total points now would be 349 which is good enough for 24th spot just behind Pitt and just ahead of Wisconsin.

If we did half as well we would have 281 total points which is good enough for 31st spot, just ahead of VT.

So frustrating. :bang:

Cheers,
Neil
yeah, that's what I was getting at Neil.

the program has taken a monster hit from where it historically should be.

Schools like Baylor and Northwestern in the top 50 show how much recent success was weighted in this poll (although Army in the top 50 admittedly blows this theory out of the water). Still, those two schools were so bad for so long before the last decade or so.

Eric15 said:
How is recent success weighted? My understanding is that being ranked X in 1960 is the same as being ranked X in 2015.

Yeah - we were as bad in the 2000's as they were in the beginning of the AP.

My main takeaway is that consistency is hard. The best teams minimized the downturns and self-corrected (probably due to resources).

How is recent success weighted? My understanding is that being ranked X in 1960 is the same as being ranked X in 2015.

You just forced me to actually read the words at the top of the article and not jump straight to the poll. Touche

We are also approaching the 20 year anniversary of the last time we appeared in the AP Top 10 (the preseason poll of the 1996 season when we were #9).

Come on, Dino. Please get us back where we belong.

Wow, if you'd have told me the week before the 1996 North Carolina game that that would be the last time we'd sniff the top 10 for 20 years, that week would have been a lot less exciting than it was. What a bummer.

A true lesson in "it can always get worse".

Replacing P with Greg and the way it happened should be a lesson in bad management/leadership at the Falk school.

GoSU96 said:
A true lesson in "it can always get worse". Replacing P with Greg and the way it happened should be a lesson in bad management/leadership at the Falk school.

The way it went down, sure. And they obviously missed on the hire. But it's not a case of "doing nothing" would have worked out better, either. I think letting P go was the right move, they just should have hired someone besides Robinson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom