Allegedly "Pay for Play" schools & recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Allegedly "Pay for Play" schools & recruiting

I will maintain to this day that A bag was presented to Darius Bazley either at half time or shortly after the McDonalds game.

“Of the $19,000 I gave 5K to Collin Sexton, 2K to Bowen, 500 to Bazley, 350 to Blossingame (sic),” Zagoria wrote that the text read, "in part."
A five-star recruit in the 2018 247Sports Composite, Darius Bazley originally signed with Syracuse before electing to forego college altogether. Jaron Blossomgame starred at Clemson and is now with the San Antonio Spurs.

More player names revealed on Day 2 of college basketball trial

Perhaps there was more where this came from...

This whole thing is really confusing to me. First they are throwing around large sums of money $20K+, then more nominal sums $5k. I understand how the larger sums might leave someone indebted to a particular lender, the smaller sums don't seem all that persuasive.

I'm ready for them to tie it altogether and show how the payouts played out. The strategy couldn't have been to spread around a lot of money to spread lots of players around to lots of different schools. Show me how giving a guy money led to a result that the payor (shoe companies) were trying to achieve. Because I'm not understanding why there would be a huge bidding war for Brian Bowen?

Of the $19,000 I gave 5K to Collin s e xton, 2K to Bowen, 500 to Bazley, 350 to Blossingame (sic),” Zagoria wrote that the text read, "in part."
A five-star recruit in the 2018 247Sports Composite, Darius Bazley originally signed with Syracuse before electing to forego college altogether. Jaron Blossomgame starred at Clemson and is now with the San Antonio Spurs...

[/QUOTE]

This quote from Kevin Flaherty's article is somewhat misleading. Bazley originally signed with Ohio State, and flipped to Syracuse much later in the process. Also, he was recruited by a number of schools. So where was Dawkins trying to steer Bazley by giving him $500?

Of the $19,000 I gave 5K to Collin s e xton, 2K to Bowen, 500 to Bazley, 350 to Blossingame (sic),” Zagoria wrote that the text read, "in part."
A five-star recruit in the 2018 247Sports Composite, Darius Bazley originally signed with Syracuse before electing to forego college altogether. Jaron Blossomgame starred at Clemson and is now with the San Antonio Spurs...

This quote from Kevin Flaherty's article is somewhat misleading. Bazley originally signed with Ohio State, and flipped to Syracuse much later in the process. Also, he was recruited by a number of schools. So where was Dawkins trying to steer Bazley by giving him $500?[/QUOTE]

No, it's not misleading. Bazley originally committed to OSU, but never signed with them.

[QUOTE="This quote from Kevin Flaherty's article is somewhat misleading. Bazley originally signed with Ohio State, and flipped to Syracuse much later in the process. Also, he was recruited by a number of schools. So where was Dawkins trying to steer Bazley by giving him $500?

No, it's not misleading. Bazley originally committed to OSU, but never signed with them.[/QUOTE]
- - - - - -

Good point, Captain. I should have said that Bazely originally “committed to” Ohio State.

The main point, though, is that the writer mentioned only Syracuse, when Ohio State and a number of other schools were also recruiting Bazley. By mentioning only Syracuse, it suggests that the payment was intended to steer Bazley to Syracuse. But it could well have been intended to steer him to one of the other schools.

In fact, the small amount - $500 - could have been intended to steer him to a summer team. I don’t know if there is any connection, but Brian Bowen and Bazley both played for MeanStreets. Bowen’s father testified that he was paid to play for MeanStreets.

This quote from Kevin Flaherty's article is somewhat misleading. Bazley originally signed with Ohio State, and flipped to Syracuse much later in the process. Also, he was recruited by a number of schools. So where was Dawkins trying to steer Bazley by giving him $500?[/QUOTE]

Waffle house ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom