Allen Griffin on Syracuse’s 2020-21 big men: ‘As a unit, we’re much improved’ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Allen Griffin on Syracuse’s 2020-21 big men: ‘As a unit, we’re much improved’

We always talk about "10 and 8" from the center position -- that's about what I'm expecting from Sidibe this year. Not Rak-like, but CONSISTENT production, and a legit inside presence that the opposing defense can't ignore.

And he's certainly capable of a bit more, if he gets off to a quick start and establishes himself. We'll see how it unfolds.

This would elevate this year's team ( if CoVid doesn't take it down) significantly. That option is huge and then opens up the other pieces a great deal. Also having good offensive rebounders like Guerrier makes using that option even more effective when you have guys who can clean things up.

Sidibe starts, Edwards RS, Anselem backs up Sidbe, JBA plays only in blow-outs and foul trouble.

Sidibe gained 20lbs and is working of finishing better (He finished pretty well last year)

Edwards has been cleared to practice for 2 months, without much else to do he is not in shape? He RSing, which is the right thing for both him and the program.

JBA " it's an adjustment period" why he did practice last year and if it is an adjustment why have he practice at the 4, the competition is tougher there with Marek, Braswell, Newton, and Quincy if we play 3 guards.

Anselem "We haven't see this type of athleticism at this position in a long time" That is a guy who is going to play because he can do things that can't be taught...

Yeah I really think it comes down to Jesse. JBA has a better shot being a 4 in a pinch than many minutes at the 5 based on that assessment. If Jesse does have to RS or isn't ready then Frank could be the guy as you noted.

Yeah I really think it comes down to Jesse. JBA has a better shot being a 4 in a pinch than many minutes at the 5 based on that assessment. If Jesse does have to RS or isn't ready then Frank could be the guy as you noted.
Agree, especially since Guerrier is not even a full-go in practice yet (in October).

Agree, especially since Guerrier is not even a full-go in practice yet (in October).

Also it was in quick cameos but his positioning defending bigs close to the rim looked un natural. His ability to run the floor well and hustle looked impressive and far more in line with a 4 than a 5. I'm sure he will learn but it just seems he has more 4 man characteristics than a 5. Once again that is from a small sample size of minutes and Griffin's commentary.

Marek's almost certainly the crunch time 5.
disagree. i think sidibe is the starter (getting big minutes)...and the other 3 come in for foul trouble/rest/blowouts etc...

dont see marek at the 5 with 4 centers on the roster...not trying to leave the center position bare like the guards that left last year (or maybe they are, idk)

marek is not a center and he's not a good option there, imo.

I hope he only plays forward.

disagree. i think sidibe is the starter (getting big minutes)...and the other 3 come in for foul trouble/rest/blowouts etc...

dont see marek at the 5 with 4 centers on the roster...not trying to leave the center position bare like the guards that left last year (or maybe they are, idk)

I mean, we have 3 years of history with Marek as a crunch time 5.

He makes it so you can have 5 competent ft shooters on the floor to protect a lead, and let's you put another shooter in the floor if you need to come back.

Every season people try to tell me why Marek won't play some 5... and every season he plays some 5.

I think it all depends on Richmond. If he's as good as has been suggested, then a "closing" lineup of Girard / Richmond in the backcourt, with Buddy / Griffin on the wings and Marek in the middle would be a LOT of playmaking, ball handling, quickness, free throw shooting, etc.

JB goes with who he trusts at the end of games, regardless of natural position.

Last edited:
Marek at the 5 gives the most options playing small ball if you want to call it that. Late in games when you want playmaking, FT shooting and the ability to play tighter on D... It does make sense. If Griff and Quincy are a strong rebounding combo, even as being a little smaller, then it adds even more to that mix giving you options. That of course follows RFs comments on Richmond.

Sidibe will be main horse but Jesse is going to get a ton of opportunity. I don’t expect a ton from JBA even though he has drastically improved but so has Jesse. This should be a much better unit This year than last and it shouldn’t be close

Marek will play the 5 Mark it down. Especially if we need points

I think it all depends on Richmond. If he's as good as has been suggested, then a "closing" lineup of Girard / Richmond in the backcourt, with Buddy / Griffin on the wings and Marek in the middle would be a LOT of playmaking, ball handling, quickness, free throw shooting, etc.

That's a scary lineup if they need to get a rebound though.

First time in years I'm not worried about the C/PF. Lots of talent there and I think they will be enough playing time for everyone assuming they all earn it. Just worried about guard depth.

Yup. Need to be up / in control at end of game. Situationally utilized.
I feel like Girard/Buddy/Griffin/Guerrier/Marek is the more well rounded closing 5.

I am a big time believer in Griffins ability to rebound. He will surprise people. He will make a smaller lineup more tolerable with his aggressiveness on the boards

We always talk about "10 and 8" from the center position -- that's about what I'm expecting from Sidibe this year. Not Rak-like, but CONSISTENT production, and a legit inside presence that the opposing defense can't ignore.

And he's certainly capable of a bit more, if he gets off to a quick start and establishes himself. We'll see how it unfolds.
i don't know about the points unless he gets his ft percentage up; this team will have plenty of other scoring options
but if he can stay on the floor for 28+ mpg every game, he can be our first 10 rpg player since ricky jackson

Last edited:

Buddy cannot play a wing during crunch time. That's a recipe for disaster, and I would think JB knows this.

Buddy cannot play a wing during crunch time. That's a recipe for disaster, and I would think JB knows this.
He certainly can if we're playing from ahead, and looking to close games out with guys who can handle, shoot, pass, and hit free throws. If we're in a dog fight, then no he shouldn't play the back line in situations where we need to get stops and rebound.

the situational applicability of this lineup has already been discussed in depth above, not sure what the confusion is.

He certainly can if we're playing from ahead, and looking to close games out with guys who can handle, shoot, pass, and hit free throws. If we're in a dog fight, then no he shouldn't play the back line in situations where we need to get stops and rebound.

the situational applicability of this lineup has already been discussed in depth above, not sure what the confusion is.

Even if we are playing from ahead, we need rebounding & defense much more than offense. We will have 4 players who can handle, shoot, pass & hit free throws. That is plenty.

Even if we are playing from ahead, we need rebounding & defense much more than offense. We will have 4 players who can handle, shoot, pass & hit free throws. That is plenty.

We know that JB has played Marek extensively in the pivot, and that JB plays guys he trusts irrespective of positions. I think it's very unlikely that JB is going to turn to JBA or Anselm instead of a proven commodity with extensive position versatility, in games where were playing from ahead.

Again, If Kadary is what he's cracked up to be, then he's more likely to play than a third string center at the end of games. JB is one of the originators of position versatility.

As extensively differentiated, if we're playing from ahead, then JB will play guys who can execute his preferred game-shortening strategy. Nobody is suggesting that we want to play four out smaller perimeter oriented players as the preferred strategy on either ends of the floor otherwise.

Last edited:
We know that JB has played Marek extensively in the pivot, and that JB plays guys he trusts irrespective of positions. I think it's very unlikely that JB is going to turn to JBA or Anselm instead of a proven commodity with extensive position versatility, in games where were playing from ahead.

Again, If Kadary is what he's cracked up to be, then he's more likely to play than a third string center at the end of games. JB is one of the originators of position versatility.

As extensively differentiated, if we're playing from ahead, then JB will play guys who can execute his preferred game-shortening strategy. Nobody is suggesting that we want to play four out smaller perimeter oriented players as the preferred strategy on either ends of the floor otherwise.

All of that is fine -- my belief is Sidibe will play majority of crunch-time minutes in the middle if he is not fouled out.
If he is, I would say odds are Richmond would play the wing over Buddy. He is a big liability down low, and we have seen that.

All of that is fine -- my belief is Sidibe will play majority of crunch-time minutes in the middle if he is not fouled out.
If he is, I would say odds are Richmond would play the wing over Buddy. He is a big liability down low, and we have seen that.

I think it is very unlikely that Richmond -- who projects as a point guard -- plays down low over Buddy. I understand that some of the news reports talk about him as a 3, but that isn't accurate based upon what I've heard.

We'll see. I get that you and I are generally not on the same page, so I acknowledge your skepticism -- but I'm confident that Richmond will emerge as a 1 primarily, and not a back line guy on defense.

I hope that Sidibe has the senior year many of us [his supporters] believe that he will. If so, then he could play a lot at crunch time. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see JB use a smaller lineup situationally, because I expect we'll be playing ahead at the end of a lot of games instead of trying to rock fight it out.

Last edited:
I'm guessing Bourama backed by Marek with an occasional sprinkling of Edwards. I'm not seeing anything in that article to get excited about, other than BS put on 20 pounds and everyone is a year older.

The most he could say about Edwards is that he is starting to get into shape. "Right now, you don't have to be in top shape, but you want to be in good enough shape so you can get through practices."

Got to love the unbounded optimism this time of year.
Donna Ditota’s article on Frank Anselem and The Athletic article on early season observations give me hope about Frank and Jesse being potential contributors as backups this year.

Last edited:
I think it is very unlikely that Richmond -- who projects as a point guard -- plays down low over Buddy. I understand that some of the news reports talk about him as a 3, but that isn't accurate based upon what I've heard.

We'll see. I get that you and I are generally not on the same page, so I acknowledge your skepticism -- but I'm confident that Richmond will emerge as a 1 primarily, and not a back line guy on defense.

I hope that Sidibe has the senior year many of us [his supporters] believe that he will. If so, then he could play a lot at crunch time. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see JB use a smaller lineup situationally, because I expect we'll be playing ahead at the end of a lot of games instead of trying to rock fight it out.
Gbinije was our point guard and played down low at times.