Alteration to football kickoff rule approved .. fair catch kicks will come out to the 25. | Syracusefan.com

Alteration to football kickoff rule approved .. fair catch kicks will come out to the 25.

I think this will help us. I remember Riley making tons of fair catches at the 10. He did it so we didn't get pinned down further. Now, it comes out to the 25 . This is better.

I think you’re confusing punts with kickoffs.
You're right. I was thinking of a punt. When do you ever see a fair catch on a kickoff? Maybe those little pop-up kickoffs once in a awhile.

You're right. I was thinking of a punt. When do you ever see a fair catch on a kickoff? Maybe those little pop-up kickoffs once in a awhile.

That's all going to change now. Especially for teams who don't have a kickoff return threat. They'll just fair catch a ball inside the 5 when the nearest opponent is 20 yards away charging at them.

Stupid rule

It was step 2.

Step 3 (final step), is that the ball just starts at the 25 after a kickoff. You know it's coming.

There will be some type of exception rule for onside kicks, like under 2 minutes in the 4th quarter unless you're down by X points.

Will we see the hot ground ball kickoff now as a weapon?

Will we see the hot ground ball kickoff now as a weapon?

I doubt it. I think defenses are just fine starting at the 25.

Ground balls that aren't kicked correctly would put the ball at the 40.

That's all going to change now. Especially for teams who don't have a kickoff return threat. They'll just fair catch a ball inside the 5 when the nearest opponent is 20 yards away charging at them.
Yes, I see that. This will be interesting to see how it plays out and the counter moves by the kicking team.

The Schiano suggestion is on the way.
You get the ball on your 30 and have a 4th and 15 and either punt or go for it.

Punting is a lot safer than kickoffs.

The Schiano suggestion is on the way.
You get the ball on your 30 and have a 4th and 15 and either punt or go for it.

Punting is a lot safer than kickoffs.
That's... that came from Schiano?

That's not awful.

I'm shocked.

Looks like the D1 committee is meeting today, for transfer rules. Curious if the new redshirt ruling will be discussed/voted on. That would have been great to have, last year.

when they get rid of kickoffs and punting it will make the spring game seem more real.

The complete removal of the kicking game can’t be far behind... :(

Just as long as we also give up the artifice of calling it "football," and cede that to its rightful owner -- the sport we would rather call "soccer."