Alternative to Cable | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alternative to Cable

I'm trying the Vue trial right now. I hate the Guide, but i'm hoping it's just something i have to get used to. I've only had it going for a couple of hours, and there's already been one buffering glitch. Only a couple of seconds, but i'm used to bulletproof cable, so i don't know how much this might aggravate me. Wonder if it has anything to do with the hardware? I'm using it on my old PS3 for now. I'd probably get an Apple TV if i continue with it after the trial.

I'm trying the Vue trial right now. I hate the Guide, but i'm hoping it's just something i have to get used to. I've only had it going for a couple of hours, and there's already been one buffering glitch. Only a couple of seconds, but i'm used to bulletproof cable, so i don't know how much this might aggravate me. Wonder if it has anything to do with the hardware? I'm using it on my old PS3 for now. I'd probably get an Apple TV if i continue with it after the trial.
It was definitely designed for PS4 and works better on my 4 than my 3. The guide takes some getting used to. I also upgraded my internet to the next tier up when I ditched cable and it eliminated the glitch issues.

A lot depends on your location. According to Dish Network I reside in Watertown, NY. There are probably about seven ACC games which are not carried on ESPN or CBS which I do not get. ABC 50 in Watertown shows about three games from the ACC Network and I get those. Other ACCN games I don't get and need to stream them. I get all the Regional Sports Networks, but am always blacked out when our games are reflected in the guide, even road games. I often wonder if a person lived outside the State of NY if they get the games on those regional networks. Very frustrating for me and a lot of other members on here feel the same. Good luck with your decision.

PS - I get very few non conference games on TV.
Don...it sounds like the ACC RSN games are the ones being Blacked Out...the ones that are on YES, FOXSouth, etc...is that right?

I think you need to look at PS Vue...make sure the package includes the Regional Sports Channel like YES and MSG

Good thread guys. Lot of useful info.

Would others agree with PlayStation Vue as a source for general sports programming -- in other words, including SU games obviously, but extending to all the other content we love?
Joe, I think Vue might be your best bet right now. I think they have bypassed Sling.

Playstation Vue definitely has my attention. However, how is it possible to have access to WatchESPN? When I use that app, I need to sign in with my cable subscription info. If I no longer subscribe to cable and only subscribe to internet service through Verizon, how would I be allowed access to WatchESPN? Is there an option for Playstation Vue under the list of cable operators?

I cut the cord and went with PlayStation Vue and I've loved it. I get all the ESPN channels, access to WatchESPN, FS1 and 2, NBC Sports, and local games on NESN (since I'm in the Boston area). I get CBS too but had to buy a digital antenna to get Fox and ABC. Costs me $30 a month plus internet is around 60. Much less than the 145 I was paying for the combo package and cable boxes. I stream through both a PS3 and PS4.
What about for people with multiple tv's. We have three we use. How would Vue work for that.

What about for people with multiple tv's. We have three we use. How would Vue work for that.
That's a great question. I'll see if I can stream different channels when I've got both systems going today. I honesty am usually just watching one or the other and never use them simultaneously.

If you have a cable subscription, WatchESPN gives you all channels that you pay for. If you have none, you only get espn3 content in the app.

An android box gives you all games, NFL,NHL, MLB, NCAA.

And soccer. Lots of soccer. If you like that kinda thing

Playstation Vue definitely has my attention. However, how is it possible to have access to WatchESPN? When I use that app, I need to sign in with my cable subscription info. If I no longer subscribe to cable and only subscribe to internet service through Verizon, how would I be allowed access to WatchESPN? Is there an option for Playstation Vue under the list of cable operators?
Sling TV is essentially a provider and you can log into WatchESPN and get what you normally pay for (I don't pay the extra $5 a month for ESPNU, so those games I have to watch elsewhere when the game is there). That also works for other channels' apps (e.g., AMC, History, NatGeo, etc.). Sling doesn't carry Discovery though, but honestly, I haven't missed anything from there. I don't know anything about Vue, but I would bet that they're adding that functionality.

Don...it sounds like the ACC RSN games are the ones being Blacked Out...the ones that are on YES, FOXSouth, etc...is that right?

I think you need to look at PS Vue...make sure the package includes the Regional Sports Channel like YES and MSG
The only channels I get our games on are ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2 and CBS. I don't get YES and am blacked out on all regional sports channels.

Being in Canada I doubt if all the other TV options being mentioned in this thread would work.

if you have 10mb or better internet you should be fine streaming multiple channels.. the biggest hassle with streaming is the lack of ability to change between channels without a big time lag..

what will really be interesting is when people make the big switch to all streaming and then the internet costs go up to recoup the lost revenue from cable and people end up paying the same but with way less functionality..

I find links to stream every game I want to watch. I have websites to watch every TV show and movie for free online, even movies currently in theaters. Cable is useless to me.
AH excellent! Where do you work? perhaps youre fine working for no pay. That what you are doing essentially stealing all these services.

*steps down from soapbox*

I believe I just read yesterday that charter or comcast will team up with Roku and use the Ruko device as a cable box.

It was definitely designed for PS4 and works better on my 4 than my 3. The guide takes some getting used to. I also upgraded my internet to the next tier up when I ditched cable and it eliminated the glitch issues.
Thanks. I had a bunch more buffering glitches last night on the PS3. And the guide runs VERY slowly. But, my internet speed is 5x faster than Sony recommends as a minimum. Might be my wifi, though. If i drop TimeWarner/Spectrum, i'll probably go with ATT for internet, and i'll just get a wired connection. Might help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom