Alyson Onyon Joins Syracuse Athletics as Director of Performance Nutrition | Syracusefan.com

Alyson Onyon Joins Syracuse Athletics as Director of Performance Nutrition

This appears to be a new position? She's not actually replacing anybody?

I think nutrition and strength and conditioning were major weaknesses of the previous coaching regime, so this is very good news.

The guys are already looking huge... Mintz doesn't even look skinny anymore as of his Instagram this week.

Having proper nutrition can only help.

This appears to be a new position? She's not actually replacing anybody?

I think nutrition and strength and conditioning were major weaknesses of the previous coaching regime, so this is very good news.

The guys are already looking huge... Mintz doesn't even look skinny anymore as of his Instagram this week.

Having proper nutrition can only help.

I seem to recall hearing that they were going to hire someone for sports nutrition back in the spring. Maybe she had to wait for a contract to end, or else it was a pretty rigorous search process.

Upstater ... good to see!
Saratoga softball legend, look at that determination!

1689265612516.png

There's a good article on nunesmagician today talking about the things Onyon is doing and how players have been receiving the changes.

I don't remember the pizza story from a few years ago; It's wild that the team was made to feel so comfortable talking about how much garbage they ate in their very own locker room when they were losing 15 games a year and either missing tournaments or barely getting in. Just another reason why a change at the top was long overdue.

So I struggle to give too much credit for Red doing something that any self-respecting hoops program should have in place by default, but it's nice to see.

Last edited:
There's a good article on nunesmagician today talking about the things Onyon is doing and how players have been receiving the changes.

I don't remember the pizza story from a few years ago; It's wild that the team was made to feel so comfortable talking about how much garbage they ate in their very own locker room when they were losing 15 games a year and either missing tournaments or barely getting in. Just another reason why a change at the top was long overdue.

So I struggle to give too much credit for Red doing something that any self-respecting hoops program should have in place by default, but it's nice to see.

This is a good change and nutrition is important. That said, your implication is either that losing teams shouldn’t eat pizza or that eating pizza contributes to them losing, which is a funny implication.

This is a good change and nutrition is important. That said, your implication is either that losing teams shouldn’t eat pizza or that eating pizza contributes to them losing, which is a funny implication.
As Yoda once said, “Pizza is the path to the dark side. Pizza leads to weight gain. Weight gain leads to sluggishness. Sluggishness leads to losing.”

As Yoda once said, “Pizza is the path to the dark side. Pizza leads to weight gain. Weight gain leads to sluggishness. Sluggishness leads to losing.”

Yoda knows pizza don’t work like that

Not what I'm implying at all (but it certainly didn't seem to help!).

College kids eat pizza. College athletes eat pizza. I get that. Don't have an interest in stopping it. But having staffers wheel in 30+ pizzas every home game as part of their job seems like a pretty big signal as to how broken the program's priorities were under the last regime. YMMV. Would be curious if anyone who's spent time behind the scenes knows if this is common among functional high-major programs.

Last edited:
Not what I'm implying at all (but it certainly didn't seem to help!).

College kids eat pizza. College athletes eat pizza. I get that. Don't have an interest in stopping it. But having staffers wheel in 30+ pizzas every home game as part of their job seems like a pretty big signal as to how broken the program's priorities were under the last regime. YMMV. Would be curious to know if anyone who's spent time behind the scenes knows if this is common among functional high-major programs.

I’m guessing the attitude towards nutrition didn’t switch under the last guy from ‘not 30 pizzas’ to ‘30 pizzas.’ So, those good teams we had over the years with lean, athletic guys playing 40 minutes and dunking on dudes, probably had similar food provided to them as the one kid we won’t name but we’re all thinking of.

fwiw, pizza is not a bad post-workout meal for athletes at this level. High protein, high carb. Yeah, it’s got some bad stuff, too, and the carbs aren’t exactly the carbs you want, but it gets the job done.

Interesting read. I know in the NBA they're big on smoothies and peanut butter and jelly, believe it or not.
Matt Hamill, Utica guy and former UFC fighter, swore he got strong by eating tons of peanut butter sandwiches.

I've always felt (at least since I became more aware of what was going on) that SU was well behind the curve on strength and nutrition. JAB didn't seem to care much and players on other college teams looked like pro wrestlers. Hyperbole, but there was definitely a visible difference. Good on Red.

I’m guessing the attitude towards nutrition didn’t switch under the last guy from ‘not 30 pizzas’ to ‘30 pizzas.’ So, those good teams we had over the years with lean, athletic guys playing 40 minutes and dunking on dudes, probably had similar food provided to them as the one kid we won’t name but we’re all thinking of.

fwiw, pizza is not a bad post-workout meal for athletes at this level. High protein, high carb. Yeah, it’s got some bad stuff, too, and the carbs aren’t exactly the carbs you want, but it gets the job done.
Possibly one of the worst things u can eat as an athlete that is trying to refuel their bodies. First and foremost is a solid protein source such as Turkey, Grass fed red meat, chicken, moderate amounts of sea food, and if no good protein there is always a protein shake with whey protein isolate. Next u should have a complex carb such as sweet potatoes or yams. Maybe some organic fruit added in with some high grade organic veges. Broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, etc. Dont forget after an hour after food or more start drinking some water with Celtic sea salt or Himalayan sea salt mixed in the water for proper hydration. Now the mixture of all this depends totally on the individual and what their training goals are as in more muscle or less, Stronger, or faster or whatever they decide will help that kid get better and improve his weaknesses.

Possibly one of the worst things u can eat as an athlete that is trying to refuel their bodies. First and foremost is a solid protein source such as Turkey, Grass fed red meat, chicken, moderate amounts of sea food, and if no good protein there is always a protein shake with whey protein isolate. Next u should have a complex carb such as sweet potatoes or yams. Maybe some organic fruit added in with some high grade organic veges. Broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, etc. Dont forget after an hour after food or more start drinking some water with Celtic sea salt or Himalayan sea salt mixed in the water for proper hydration. Now the mixture of all this depends totally on the individual and what their training goals are as in more muscle or less, Stronger, or faster or whatever they decide will help that kid get better and improve his weaknesses.

Nobody needs a nutrition lesson. Calling it one of the worst things you could eat after a workout/game is factually inaccurate, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom