Am I idiotic for wanting Zion to play? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Am I idiotic for wanting Zion to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
agreed with all the burger boyz duke has no reason talent wise to make excuses. but it won't be the same.

We are 9-4 in the ACC and you’re being ridiculously self loathing.
I’m being realistic. We beat up on bottom tier ACC teams like BCx2 Pittx2, Miami and Notre Dame. We beat Duke without their point guard and without Cam Reddish and have a good win over Louisville..

Dont care what you say we are 9-4 and 18-8 you can only beat who you play.
Yes that’s true, but that doesn’t change the fact we need all the help we can get on Saturday. Duke was without 2 of their top 4 players and still put up 91 on our zone. If we play duke fully healthy ready to go, we get run out of the gym like we did against VT or NCST. That’s not even a debate.

A win is a win but I would prefer him to play....when we beat them that will be the excuse like we heard in the first match up with whoever Frank Howard ran into and the excuses when he left the game.

With all that said Duke has bigger problems if he doesn't come back this year...count their Final 4 chances out the door...dont think it will be anywhere close to the same team...

Does "day to day" mean there's a chance he plays Saturday? Or does day to day in this case mean he's def out for at least this weekend, then he's day to day next week?

I'm with you all the way. Why have one of the premier sites to play college basketball if the premier players do not play here? Think of all the great college players who have lost at the Dome. Why not add Zion to the list?

Yes that’s true, but that doesn’t change the fact we need all the help we can get on Saturday. Duke was without 2 of their top 4 players and still put up 91 on our zone. If we play duke fully healthy ready to go, we get run out of the gym like we did against VT or NCST. That’s not even a debate.

It kind of is a debate. The same team we just beat by 20 had them down 20 with 8 Minutes to go.

if we play the way we played Wednesday against Louisville and have tyus battle at the point moving the ball well, yes I would like to see us at our best and them at their best

It kind of is a debate. The same team we just beat by 20 had them down 20 with 8 Minutes to go.
Ok and we beat BC and BC led Duke at halftime last time they played, what’s that have to do with the game Saturday? Absolutely nothing.

I’m being realistic. We beat up on bottom tier ACC teams like BCx2 Pittx2, Miami and Notre Dame. We beat Duke without their point guard and without Cam Reddish and have a good win over Louisville..
That is such crap. We are two games out of first. If somehow we beat duke, UNC and Virginia we are a one or two seed. Not saying that happens but this “realist” garbage has been insufferable by the board. Almost unreadable this season. Everybody has played BC, PITT, Miami and ND. We have two “easy” games cause we play BC and PITT twice. 2/3 of the ACC blows so you can plug in other names these better teams have played twice that suck.

Does "day to day" mean there's a chance he plays Saturday? Or does day to day in this case mean he's def out for at least this weekend, then he's day to day next week?
I would be stunned if he played sat.

That is such crap. We are two games out of first. If somehow we beat duke, UNC and Virginia we are a one or two seed. Not saying that happens but this “realist” garbage has been insufferable by the board. Almost unreadable this season. Everybody has played BC, PITT, Miami and ND. We have two “easy” games cause we play BC and PITT twice. 2/3 of the ACC blows so you can plug in other names these better teams have played twice that suck.
Everything I said up there is facts and your reply starts with “if we beat”... that’s the difference between being real and continuously saying what if. We’re not beating all 3 so your what if doesn’t matter here. Yes all good ACC teams have to play the lesser teams too, but the difference between us and the other good teams is they’ll beat the other top teams too. We have two good ACC wins. One of them came when duke was missing 2 of their top 4 players and one of the players playing in their place went 0-10 from 3 and didn’t score a single point. Oh and by the way we only won by 4... oh and by the way they still dropped 91 points even with all those circumstances. And the other happened last night.. it isn’t “crap” if it’s facts.

Call me idiotic, but I would rather have Zion play than Jones. We know Zion will dominate us offensively like last game, but I am more nervous with the ball pressure Jones is going to put on our guards.

I agree.

he may sit the rest of the seasson.

Scottie Pippen was right
From what I've read, Zion will play again this season. He doesn't want to let his teammates down. If that turns out to be true, my respect for the young man just soared. He seems to be a class act. With that said, I have no problem playing Duke without him. The selection committee looks at wins and losses. 2 victories over Duke will weigh heavily on their minds come Selection Sunday. Not just for getting in the tournament, but also for seeding. I would love a 6 seed.

Last edited:
I am glad it is just a sprain and that he will be ok.
I'm split, personally on wanting him to play. I don't think anyone has ever felt sorry for us when someone was out, and we've never had a roster full of burger boys.
I'm happy for Marek if Zion does not play as he probably just healed up from taking that charge in Cameron. You know with the way MD plays he'd stand there and take another one on Saturday. :)

I lucked into some great seats for tomorrow. As a basketball fan, I want him to play because he's a freak and I want to see him live.

As a Syracuse fan, I would prefer he remain sidelined. Somebody already said it but without Zion we're still facing something like a top 5-8 team. The asterisks for players being out are getting old. It's not our fault or problem.

He's not going to play Saturday.

I'm happy for Marek if Zion does not play as he probably just healed up from taking that charge in Cameron. You know with the way MD plays he'd stand there and take another one on Saturday. :)

10.jpg

Everything I said up there is facts and your reply starts with “if we beat”... that’s the difference between being real and continuously saying what if. We’re not beating all 3 so your what if doesn’t matter here. Yes all good ACC teams have to play the lesser teams too, but the difference between us and the other good teams is they’ll beat the other top teams too. We have two good ACC wins. One of them came when duke was missing 2 of their top 4 players and one of the players playing in their place went 0-10 from 3 and didn’t score a single point. Oh and by the way we only won by 4... oh and by the way they still dropped 91 points even with all those circumstances. And the other happened last night.. it isn’t “crap” if it’s facts.

I don't understand how you can say you are stating all facts but in the same sentence you state "We’re not beating all 3 so your what if doesn’t matter here." How can you make that factual statement over something that hasn't happened?

In regards to the Duke game you stated irrelevant facts...There is one simple fact from all the cherry picked stuff you wrote...WE WON THAT GAME. It doesn't matter if they won by 4 or by 20...if they scored 91 or 191. It doesn't matter if their backup went 0-10 from three. Duke didn't adjust and they lost. oh and by the way...you left out the part where Duke was 104-0 at home as a No.1 ranked team.
I pulled some facts. You stated we have 7 wins vs easy teams and only 2 others with short handed Duke and Louisville. I took UVA schedule so far. They have 7 wins vs schools with .500 or less records. 6 of their wins have come against these same schools you referenced. They beat FSU at home, UNC away and VT twice. One of those VT wins was without Robinson who is arguably VT best player and Virginia only won by 6!!! Should we not count it because he was out? They also lost to Duke twice...one without Jones. Their fans should be realist as well and say that they aren't very good cause they ONLY really beat UNC and FSU. Instead they are ranked 3rd in country and can get a 1 seed.

UVA 11-2:
"Good" wins vs FSU (Home), VT twice and @UNC
7 Wins vs BC, Clemson, Wake, ND, Miami & ND, NCS

Last edited:
Has that been officially announced? I read one report that says he might play but limited minutes.

No, no. Purely my speculation based on the situation.
If he's going to play again at all this year I wouldn't think they quickly rush him back.
Unless of course he's 100% and shows that to team staff.

all the top teams in the ACC have 6-8 wins vs the bad teams.

Su has 2 wins vs the teams with 9+ wins
UNC has 3
duke has 4
Lou has 2
VT has 1
FSU has 2
Virg has 4

UNC/Virg/Duke have the most and its pretty clear they are the best teams

everyone else is muddled around 1-2 big wins..

had we beaten VT it would make it even closer as that would drop them below 9 and out of the good win club.

Beat up the bottom 8 and win a few from the top 7.. thats the goal of everyone but the top 3 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.