Amazing Saturday In DC... | Syracusefan.com

Amazing Saturday In DC...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
I'm still coming down from the high that was this weekend. After thinking all week that Thursday's game against Indiana would be the hump that this team needed to get over in order to advance to Atlanta, I ended up shelling out some $$ for Saturday's game via StubHub.

Headed down I95 with my Fiancee, my mother and her boyfriend in tow. Gorgeous day in D.C. Just gorgeous. Found the MCI Center (Verizon...whoops!) without much trouble and nicely utilized a "Park Whiz" reservation for a garage just around the corner. All day parking for $12...sweet!

Got in around 11, picked up our tickets, and killed 4.5 hours or so walking on the Mall, visiting the Smithsonian and walking around the Lincoln and Washington monuments. Saw a TON of fans from other schools around (sorry Indiana!), and got MANY "GO Cuse!" shouts from well-wishers.

Headed to the game and re-connected with my mother who told me that she ran into MCW's grandmother while she was getting coffee from a Starbucks around the corner from the arena. Once the game started, you could tell whose house it really was. About 75% Orange. It was incredible.

Downer of the day: Some dad with his wife and four kids comes to our section, row in front of us, right before tip-off. They're not wearing any gear at all. Cheering loudly for Marquette and really if I'm being honest, trying harder to catch a glimpse of Obama in the section below us than really paying attention to the game. About midway through the first half during a timeout he yells "Get out of here Syracuse!! Traitors!! Run away to the ACC!!" I remind him that Marquette wasn't exactly a founding member of the BE conference themselves. His response? "Oh well, I'm not a Marquette fan. I went to Villanova." Douche.

That made me want to cheer even harder, and for the rest of the game, chants of "Let's Go Orange", "Defense!" and "Michaeeeeeel Carterrrrrr Willllllllliams!!!!" filled our section. Once the second half wound down, it finally hit me. We're going to Atlanta. When J-South hit that dagger three late in shot clock, it was all over!

After the game, we stayed to watch the net-cutting ceremony...obviously, and had the pleasure of running into numerous Syracuse legends on our way out the door. Leo Rautins, Pearl Washington and Lawrence Moten (who sang the "Cuse is in Da House" song with me) graciously posed for photos with this lucky SU fan. At my fiancee's suggestion, we went "looking for Boeheim", but we didn't find him. No matter.

An incredible game, with the result of a trip to the Final Four. The best part was hearing "Let's Go Orange" chants reverberate throughout the arena, almost as if there was an echo. Amazing stuff.

Two more games!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom