Class of 2022 - An Early Look at the Best NYS Prospects for 2022 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 An Early Look at the Best NYS Prospects for 2022

What I find interesting is that there is some higher rated players from NY that always seem to go to the blue bloods but do not get drafted. It’s hard to convince a 17 year old to stay in state. We have sent some ny players to the pros but we are always limited in the number that commit.

What I find interesting is that there is some higher rated players from NY that always seem to go to the blue bloods but do not get drafted. It’s hard to convince a 17 year old to stay in state. We have sent some ny players to the pros but we are always limited in the number that commit.
This is worth discussing in more detail.

Let’s look at the best players from NYS in the class of 2016, as rated by 247, and how their college careers went.

Here is their top 20:

1. Malcolm Pridgeon

Really class of 2014, non qualifier who originally enrolled at Nassau CC, where he started in 2014 and 2015. Played in every game at OSU in 2017 and 2018, started every game in 2018. Was not drafted and is still trying to get a job in the NFL.

2. Jake Zembiac

Enrolled at Penn State. Was injured relatively early in his career and transitioned into coaching.

3. Jahsen Wint

Enrolled at Ohio State, where he barely played. Indicted for rape and kidnapping in 2020. This ended his career for the Buckeyes.

4. Jamir Jones

Enrolled at Norte Dame, where he played some immediately. Minor contributor until his senior season, when he had 6.5 TFL. Was not drafted. Still trying to get on an NFL roster.

5. Timothy Poindexter

Enrolled at Delaware. Became a starter as a junior in 2019 and important contributor. Not sure what happened with him in 2020.

6. Elias Reynolds

Enrolled at Pitt, where he played for 3 seasons, getting some PT. Made 7 starts. Transferred to Stony Brook. Was on their team in 2020 but I don’t see any indication of a contribution. Has one more year of eligibility.

7. Zach Cannon

Enrolled at Nassau CC, where he played for 2 seasons, then fell off the map.

8. Ray Marten

Enrolled at BC. Seldom used backup TE. I believe he used his final season of eligibility in 2020.

9. Taysir Mack

Originally enrolled at Indiana, where he spent his first 2 seasons. Transferred to Pitt where he played the past 3 seasons. Had 63 catches in 2019, 111 over the past 3 seasons, but had a subpar senior year due to injuries. Will return for one more senior season in 2021.

10. Justin Morgan

Started college at Pitt. Transferred to Independence CC, then transferred to Stony Brook. I don’t think he ever played in a game there and I believe he is down with college now.

11. Taylor Riggins

Originally verbaled to Syracuse. Coach Babers decided to pull his scholarship. Ended up at UMass. Transferred to UB after frosh season. Became a starter as a junior, where he finished second in the MAC in sacks and was named first team all conference. Was injured in 2020 and missed the season. Will return to UB for senior season in 2021.

12. Mike Daniels

Fell off the map after finishing HS. I don’t think he played college football.

13. Brandon Barlow

Enrolled at BC, started his final 2 seasons. DE.

14. Adam Korutz

Enrolled at BC. Backup OL for 4 years. It looks like he followed the Dazzler to Colorado State but did not play there.

15. Ben Holmes

Played at Nassau CC for his first 2 seasons. Was going to attend Stony Brook next but that fell through. Ended up at Tarleton State. Entered draft in 2020.

16. John Testroni

No evidence he attended college. Non qualifier?

17. Brent Priester

Enrolled at Old Dominion where he appeared in 8 games over 2 seasons, then fall off the face of the Earth.

18. Ahmed Bah

Enrolled at Rutgers. Transferred to NC A&T after redshirting frosh season. Has started 3 games since. Missed 2019 season with injury.

19. Mike Palmer

Enrolled at BC. Contributor as a sophomore, starter as junior, played some in an injury plagued senior season. Will return for a second senior season in 2021.

20. Nick Iacovangelo

Played 2 seasons at ASA Brooklyn, transferred to New Mexico. Looks like he dropped out before playing there.

33. Josh Mack

Played 2 years at Maine, transferred to Liberty and played 2 years there. Was a key player in the Liberty offense.

40. Jake Fuzak

Enrolled at UB. Started playing at DT, later moved to OT. Started 2 games as a junior and 7 games in 2020 as a senior. Was named 2nd team All MAC, will return for second senior season in 2021.

62. Jesse Conners

Started at Holy Cross, transferred to Syracuse, where he was a walk on backup from 2017-2020.

65. Malcolm Koonce

Enrolled at UB, drafted in 3rd round of 2021 NFL draft

My take is that the scouting services are not very good and even college staffs do not do a great job evaluating players. Props to UB for identifying three of the best players in the state. They have done a nice job of identifying the talent in the state for a while now.

Last edited:
This is worth discussing in more detail.

Let’s look at the best players from NYS in the class of 2016, as rated by 247, and how their college careers went.

Here is their top 20:

1. Malcolm Pridgeon

Really class of 2014, non qualifier who originally enrolled at Nassau CC, where he started in 2014 and 2015. Played in every game at OSU in 2017 and 2018, started every game in 2018. Was not drafted and is still trying to get a job in the NFL.

2. Jake Zembiac

Enrolled at Penn State. Was injured relatively early in his career and transitioned into coaching.

3. Jahsen Wint

Enrolled at Ohio State, where he barely played. Indicted for rape and kidnapping in 2020. This ended his career for the Buckeyes.

4. Jamir Jones

Enrolled at Norte Dame, where he played some immediately. Minor contributor until his senior season, when he had 6.5 TFL. Was not drafted. Still trying to get on an NFL roster.

5. Timothy Poindexter

Enrolled at Delaware. Became a starter as a junior in 2019 and important contributor. Not sure what happened with him in 2020.

6. Elias Reynolds

Enrolled at Pitt, where he played for 3 seasons, getting some PT. Made 7 starts. Transferred to Stony Brook. Was on their team in 2020 but I don’t see any indication of a contribution. Has one more year of eligibility.

7. Zach Cannon

Enrolled at Nassau CC, where he played for 2 seasons, then fell off the map.

8. Ray Marten

Enrolled at BC. Seldom used backup TE. I believe he used his final season of eligibility in 2020.

9. Taysir Mack

Originally enrolled at Indiana, where he spent his first 2 seasons. Transferred to Pitt where he played the past 3 seasons. Had 63 catches in 2019, 111 over the past 3 seasons, but had a subpar senior year due to injuries. Will return for one more senior season in 2021.

10. Justin Morgan

Started college at Pitt. Transferred to Independence CC, then transferred to Stony Brook. I don’t think he ever played in a game there and I believe he is down with college now.

11. Taylor Riggins

Originally verbaled to Syracuse. Coach Babers decided to pull his scholarship. Ended up at UMass. Transferred to UB after frosh season. Became a starter as a junior, where he finished second in the MAC in sacks and was named first team all conference. Was injured in 2020 and missed the season. Will return to UB for senior season in 2021.

12. Mike Daniels

Fell off the map after finishing HS. I don’t think he played college football.

13. Brandon Barlow

Enrolled at BC, started his final 2 seasons. DE.

14. Adam Korutz

Enrolled at BC. Backup OL for 4 years. It looks like he followed the Dazzler to Colorado State but did not play there.

15. Ben Holmes

Played at Nassau CC for his first 2 seasons. Was going to attend Stony Brook next but that fell through. Ended up at Tarleton State. Entered draft in 2020.

16. John Testroni

No evidence he attended college. Non qualifier?

17. Brent Priester

Enrolled at Old Dominion where he appeared in 8 games over 2 seasons, then fall off the face of the Earth.

18. Ahmed Bah

Enrolled at Rutgers. Transferred to NC A&T after redshirting frosh season. Has started 3 games since. Missed 2019 season with injury.

19. Mike Palmer

Enrolled at BC. Contributor as a sophomore, starter as junior, played some in an injury plagued senior season. Will return for a second senior season in 2021.

20. Nick Iacovangelo

Played 2 seasons at ASA Brooklyn, transferred to New Mexico. Looks like he dropped out before playing there.

33. Josh Mack

Played 2 years at Maine, transferred to Liberty and played 2 years there. Was a key player in the Liberty offense.

40. Jake Fuzak

Enrolled at UB. Started playing at DT, later moved to OT. Started 2 games as a junior and 7 games in 2020 as a senior. Was named 2nd team All MAC, will return for second senior season in 2021.

62. Jesse Conners

Started at Holy Cross, transferred to Syracuse, where he was a walk on backup from 2017-2020.

65. Malcolm Koonce

Enrolled at UB, drafted in 3rd round of 2021 NFL draft

My take is that the scouting services are not very good and even college staffs do not do a great job evaluating players. Props to UB for identifying three of the best players in the state. They have done a nice job of identifying the talent in the state for a while now.
Interesting how many of those players went to BC

I was watching Baldwinsville vs Rome Free Academy last night on Spectrum and this kid definitely stood out at Left Guard for Baldwinsville, found out his name and his highlights are pretty good and looks to have been only playing football since his junior year

^^ sutomcat check this kid out I’m telling you !!
I do like his tape. He looks really good for being so new to football.

At 6'1, 250 pounds, he is too small to play at the P5 level. But I think he can play college football for sure somewhere. Impressive GPA. Maybe a school like Colgate, Cornell or Hobart?

I do like his tape. He looks really good for being so new to football.

At 6'1, 250 pounds, he is too small to play at the P5 level. But I think he can play college football for sure somewhere. Impressive GPA. Maybe a school like Colgate, Cornell or Hobart?
He has picked up a wagner and PSAC D2 offer, I know he has some interest from the CAA. He contacted cuse about a PWO and I’m not sure if they have talked he’s up to around 265 now