An Interview with Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick | Syracusefan.com

An Interview with Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick

sufan

Scout Team
"An Interview with Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick"

-football: "We are going to be getting the schedule for 2014"

- "I would say it got pretty earnest about the end of July, probably mid, third week in July or so, where it came to us in a different light."

- "our independence is served because we do have our own media arrangement to highlight the program and send those powerful messages about the University, in the what would you fight for spots that we show that. Our independence is served because we will be all around the country and we can do that. Our independence is served because we can preserve rivalries."

- "Stanford and USC rivalries will be retained, and of course our history is Navy is unique. And after that, we are going to work to maintain as many of our traditional games as we can."

- "what role did the difficulty of scheduling games play in this negotiation?
Jack Swarbrick: None at all."

- "Having entry to those Bowl games, I think this year and next year, how important was that to the school?
Jack Swarbrick: Critical. We had to solve the challenge of what post season football would be for us below the BCS level."
"We needed a soup to nuts solution for post season and we have achieved it."

- "Most significantly, I think, the pairing of this development with the other announcement the ACC made about their withdrawal, I think gives us a real chance that we are going to have a period ahead of us now in college athletics which is going to be pretty stable."

- "This is going to be our home. We fully plan to maintain football independence. I don't see that changing. But if it ever did, the ACC is our home and we would like to them to provide a solution."

- "notwithstanding my view of all of the great assets of the ACC, football independence was important to us."

"An Interview with Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick"

extended interview:

-football: "We are going to be getting the schedule for 2014"

- "I would say it got pretty earnest about the end of July, probably mid, third week in July or so, where it came to us in a different light."

- "our independence is served because we do have our own media arrangement to highlight the program and send those powerful messages about the University, in the what would you fight for spots that we show that. Our independence is served because we will be all around the country and we can do that. Our independence is served because we can preserve rivalries."

- "Stanford and USC rivalries will be retained, and of course our history is Navy is unique. And after that, we are going to work to maintain as many of our traditional games as we can."

- "what role did the difficulty of scheduling games play in this negotiation?
Jack Swarbrick: None at all."

- "Having entry to those Bowl games, I think this year and next year, how important was that to the school?
Jack Swarbrick: Critical. We had to solve the challenge of what post season football would be for us below the BCS level."
"We needed a soup to nuts solution for post season and we have achieved it."

- "Most significantly, I think, the pairing of this development with the other announcement the ACC made about their withdrawal, I think gives us a real chance that we are going to have a period ahead of us now in college athletics which is going to be pretty stable."

- "This is going to be our home. We fully plan to maintain football independence. I don't see that changing. But if it ever did, the ACC is our home and we would like to them to provide a solution."

- "notwithstanding my view of all of the great assets of the ACC, football independence was important to us."

Such a typical and arrogant statement for the institution that wreaks hypocracy. Whether we care a less or not, convince the likes of UConn, L'ville, Cincy, Rutgers, etc. about the period ahead for stability in college athletics. Speak for yourself, I'm sure the aforementioned schools (along with others) clearly don't share your privileged sentiment.

Heard Brey's similar comments this morning as well on Mike and Mike...Swarwick's subordinate applauded his diligence in such high regard and how this has really been a 3 year process. Probably something Brey shouldn't have admitted...the 3 YEARS thing. Interesting, considering Swarwick's & Brey's public comments after we agreed to leave last year for the ACC. Such hyporcracy!

Just friggin admit that ND is all about ND and what's in its best interest, keeping it real, I get it...just hate their bs and spin.

Such a typical and arrogant statement for the institution that wreaks hypocracy. Whether we care a less or not, convince the likes of UConn, L'ville, Cincy, Rutgers, etc. about the period ahead for stability in college athletics. Speak for yourself, I'm sure the aforementioned schools (along with others) clearly don't share your priviledged sentiment.

Heard Brey's similar comments this morning as well on Mike and Mike...Swarwick's subordinate applauded his diligence in such high regard and how this has really been a 3 year process. Probably something Brey shouldn't have admitted...the 3 YEARS thing. Interesting, considering Swarwick's & Brey's public comments after we agreed to leave last year for the ACC. Such hyporcracy!

Just friggin admit that ND is all about ND and what's in its best interest, keeping it real, I get it...just hate their bs and spin.

If anyone wanted those teams they would already have them. Quite honestly they are probably stuck in the BE for the next decade. With the ND move and the ACC fee jacked to 50 million locking FSU in there are no more big dogs to be had that could cause cataclysmic type movement. So I don't see him being arrogant but rather see him stating what is obvious to those fans who have been following the latest round of expansion-mania in detail.

If anyone wanted those teams they would already have them. Quite honestly they are probably stuck in the BE for the next decade. With the ND move and the ACC fee jacked to 50 million locking FSU in there are no more big dogs to be had that could cause cataclysmic type movement. So I don't see him being arrogant but rather see him stating what is obvious to those fans who have been following the latest round of expansion-mania in detail.

This goes way beyond what has relatively recently transpired. We all know that ND has held the trump card for years...clearly could have saved the Big East if they had committed years ago...before Miami, VPI and BC left.

It is what it is. SU is extremely fortunate to be where it is today & I'm very excited about the future. I just have no tolerance for ND, their antics and hyprocracy.

This goes way beyond what has relatively recently transpired. We all know that ND has held the trump card for years...clearly could have saved the Big East if they had committed years ago...before Miami, VPI and BC left.

It is what it is. SU is extremely fortunate to be where it is today & I'm very excited about the future. I just have no tolerance for ND, their antics and hyprocracy.

While I agree they could have saved the BE if they wanted to why blame them? The remaining teams could have saved themselves and formed their own league instead of depending of the dipshits at providence to do it. Had they acted prior to the first ACC raid it never would have come to this.

While I agree they could have saved the BE if they wanted to why blame them? The remaining teams could have saved themselves and formed their own league instead of depending of the dipshits at providence to do it. Had they acted prior to the first ACC raid it never would have come to this.

I just can't stand their hypocracy. The Big East threw them a life line when all their other sports desperately needed a home...could have showed their brothers some divine mercy in return. Instead, ND became the Big East's Judas.

The solution is - you're in or your out. No deals to bring your mediocre football in. 1/15th. Period.

Notre Dame plays 5 ACC games a year, SU plays 9. Notre Dame football is really only "partially independant."

The word "Independant" is their brand but they have to say it over and over again to make it stick because it doesn't reflect reality. At some point they'll add games 6,7,8 & 9, drop the "independent" word, drop the NBC deal and probably make more money, more consistently in the ACC. Hard to see why Notre Dame wouldn't want that.

Such a typical and arrogant statement for the institution that wreaks hypocracy. Whether we care a less or not, convince the likes of UConn, L'ville, Cincy, Rutgers, etc. about the period ahead for stability in college athletics. Speak for yourself, I'm sure the aforementioned schools (along with others) clearly don't share your privileged sentiment.

The SU administration was too quiet and too confident these past few years to think that something wasn't in the works all along. I suspect the participants had a timeline planned out, and the first step in that timeline was Pitt and SU, followed by some time to let that news play out and sink in, and then ND was to come in.

In other words, I think we were in bed with ND . Railing against them here is spitting in the wind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom