An open letter to the Admins: Is it time to clean up the basketball board? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

An open letter to the Admins: Is it time to clean up the basketball board?

I agree and was not offended. My real thought was that your post reminded me of how insults escalate after one poster makes a mild comment such as yours. Yours was just the best available example. It's unfortunate. As I said, I like to think we're all friends.
I like to think of it as hooligans at a soccer game or Eagles fans: Fight amongst yourselves until the opposing team comes. Then rise as one to face the threat. We fight each other, but then we fight together.
F Miami. F V Tech. F Georgetown forever!

I loved the pay side on the old board.

Being free is a very positive attribute that I'm sure has attracted at least some very good posters that otherwise would go elsewhere.

Being free is a very positive attribute that I'm sure has attracted at least some very good posters that otherwise would go elsewhere.
What you might not realize is that when there was a payside we had our own "writer" plus we would get these magazines in the mail. It was a system that worked well during its time.

Actually that's one of the most commonly misattributed quotes around. It was actually said by his biographer, not by Voltaire himself, in reference to his beliefs.

And that's the only thing educational I care about today. Thank you, you've been great!

(Also I agree with the sentiment but felt like being That Guy)
It's funny but nearly all the great lines are not attributed correctly. About the only one I'm sure is "not 10 f$@king games..."

I think your premise is a little off. I don't ignore anyone just because I disagree with them. I ignore posters who post a lot without saying anything or who post the same thing over and over. I ignore anyone who makes any kind of political statement or opinion. I don't come here for that and really don't care, regardless of what side you're on. I ignore the comic brigades, mostly because I don't find them to be funny. But I realize that others do and value their input. I ignore extreme doom and gloomers as well as extreme pollyannas. I even ignore a couple of people because I don't like their writing style. And yes, I ignore those I judge to be less than intelligent. Shame on me.

Anyway, it's not silencing anyone. It's just not listening to them.
Well...who's left?

This is why it's unfortunate if it's true Blue Curtain is gone...and that's obviously not going to be a popular opinion.

He may have had an obvious agenda, but he didn't post anything that was really inflammatory and he never used personal attacks. That's more than I can say for the people responding to him sometimes.

I'd rather have one or two guys like that rather than for this place to turn into a big Pollyanna circle jerk.

Good post.

That poster did say one extraordinarily offensive thing one time, but I agree that he pretty consistently stayed respectful (if negative); it was the responses to his posts that were out of line and -- curiously -- accepted by moderators.

The personal attacks and occasional tendency toward Pollyanna-ism can be a little frustrating. It would be nice to see a little more consistency in moderation of the site, but it still is a valuable resource and generally a pleasant place to discuss hoops.

This is why it's unfortunate if it's true Blue Curtain is gone...and that's obviously not going to be a popular opinion.

He may have had an obvious agenda, but he didn't post anything that was really inflammatory and he never used personal attacks. That's more than I can say for the people responding to him sometimes.

I'd rather have one or two guys like that rather than for this place to turn into a big Pollyanna circle jerk.

That's why I respected him a lot more that Igor. He could criticize the coach w/o saying Juli is a golddigger or JB is a racist.

I do not think there should be any changes. The moderators to a great job the few times that things do get out of hand. However, I do understand the position of the hoops "purists". If there were to be a change perhaps "ghost" threads might be a solution.

I'm not sure I'm ready for the responsibility, but I do appreciate you putting so much faith in my posting.

With great posting, comes great responsibility. Or something like that.

I'll do my best. I can promise you that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom