An open letter to the Admins: Is it time to clean up the basketball board? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

An open letter to the Admins: Is it time to clean up the basketball board?

Thank you sir. But if my shenanigans are keeping others from enjoying this board I will stop.

If you stop then we can have the "Where is edowd26" thread and it can all happen in reverse . . . . . . . . . . none of this is for anyone to leave don't let a minority or majority change who you are. Plenty of posters enjoy what you bring.

I attend 3 forums, help run one.

I really believe that a pay side would be a bad idea.

First - some responders to this thread advocate a pay board. I am against that - I believe all internet content should be free. If there is legitimate information that is of such a nature that it is bona fide "insider" material then it shouldn't be posted on a public forum at all - pay or free.

Second - I really, really enjoy this board as it is. Yes, some threads get away, and I wish they were more serious, but part of the allure of being on this forum is that while the hub of conversation is SU hoops, that other topics or humor arises. I like that. I have several times sought advice about non-SU hoops topics, and for the most part there is a wealth of knowledge here to be accessed. People say there is an OT board, but in truth the only time I visit that board is if a topic of interest that has been posted here has been moved to there. That is probably the same for many others here.

I do not think there should be any changes. The moderators to a great job the few times that things do get out of hand. However, I do understand the position of the hoops "purists". If there were to be a change perhaps "ghost" threads might be a solution. By ghost thread I mean that if a thread is moved to say the OT forum, rather than have it simply disappear - there would be a specific reference to that thread having been moved.

Ghost thread is a suggestion I like. Eliminates clutter without censorship and it sounds like Ghost Busters.

Aside from preservation of good manners, that are requisite for civil discussion, there is little need for moderators. Each poster can make his own decision about what to read without someone above deciding/mandating. The only area I want moderators to be more active in is to deal with the few posters that are predictably angry and hostile in defense of their position. Adjectives like 'idiot' and 'moron' are a good tip-off.

I am more concerned about too much expansion of the forum rather than shrinkage. If the forum gets too many posters it will become a fast moving ticker tape rather than a normal flowing discussion. It is inevitable that some long-term posters will leave. That does not mean that there should be more moderator control. Sometimes its best to leave well enough alone.

It's probably because I'm getting old but Harrison, your post is a mild version of a type of post that annoys me. In this case, you've accused me (indirectly) of copping out and acting like a 5 year-old. I don't think that was necessary. I realize such things are common (and obviously many times much more severe) on the Internet but I've avoided places where that's the case. This has historically been my refuge.

As to the "ignore" feature, I'm faced with a lot of demands on my time and there are a lot of information sources to choose from. For that reason when I seek information or entertainment, I do what I can to avoid sources that use my time without providing what I'm looking for. For that reason, I don't go to syracuse.com in the hopes of finding the occasional good post and I choose to ignore posters here that consistently waste my time or throw around insults (It takes more than a general statement about acting like a 5 year-old). I've never been tempted to ignore a poster based on a disagreement.

Like I said this is a small issue and you're a good poster but sometimes I just wish we could respect each other more.

Thank you for your honest, mature, and direct feedback. My sincere apologies if I personally offended you - it was certainly not directed at you alone, and not meant to personally offend. Your post was simply the one I chose among several that I could have responded to. Perhaps my objection to "ignoring" was stated a bit disrespectfully. I just think the world would be a better place it we actually discussed facts and experiences together to arrive at objective truth and the best overall solutions, instead of closing our minds and trying to ignore and destroy one another. Real truth is rarely the result of a biased opinion poll or a stolen popularity contest - the "majority" or the "winners" just feel that it is, or get to say that it is, without knowing what the real truth is.

I just think the world would be a better place it we actually discussed facts and experiences together to arrive at objective truth and the best overall solutions, instead of closing our minds and trying to ignore and destroy one another.
Note: this is not aimed at you, just the opinion that you expressed above.

Sometimes people who act like screaming 5 year olds can give one a head ache. The endless trading of insults, nasty & negative comments about players, etc., etc.. I don't hang out with people who throw F bombs in every sentence. Why should I put up with that (or similar) in a place that's been mostly civil for many, many, years?

I guess my thing is, some people like the shenanigans, and are still good, knowledgeable posters with a passion for Syracuse. I feel like we are severely discounting them because a few people don't like the same kind of humor that they do.

This is a board for Syracuse fans. Why should one small group have that much more of a say than, based on the threads here, a larger group that has every bit as much right to get together on here and talk Syracuse hoops as anyone else?

I've been around here for about 15 years, so I certainly feel like I've earned my right to continue posting here, and I talk real Syracuse hoops and Syracuse football when there's actual stuff to talk about. At the same time, I participate in a lot of the shenanigans because 1) it's a fun way to get through a boring work day, and 2) how many times can we honestly debate zone versus man, or if Cooney is a good shooter, or a REALLY good shooter? Redundancy leads to a very, very dull board.

Ill be honest, Im a newer type and a very lighthearted guy. I Love Cuse hoops and like to have some fun banter as well. Ive already been banned for 3 days by the bees guy for no apparent reason and I felt a little stung by this.

There seems to be a bit of a "get off my lawn" aspect by some here. If that becomes the prevailing sentiment, I feel you will see some great posters leave or simply lurk.

I accept that you feel that way, however I spend a lot of time (and "energy") here, and have as much edge as any (invariably on the OT board) and haven't been banned. I expect I've probably been close a few times, too. If you think someone said something stupid, there are ways to convey such a sentiment without behaving like a jackass. And frankly, that's one of the things I like about this place.

And I also appreciate your point about having some light-hearted fun. Realistically, who goes to a basketball game and only talks basketball for two solid hours with no sideline laughs? Beers, too tight jeans & cleavage, an oblique political reference either RW or LW, "For Chrissake, I had to park at the freaking On Center and walk up!" (yeah, I did once) and the like are all parts of the whole. I'd rather hear a little of that than another "man vs. zone" discussion. :eek:

This all makes me think of a line I was given when doing my B. Ed., "If all my students were just like me, what kind of classroom would my classroom be?"

Last edited:
Coming from you I'm not sure how to take this.

In the best possible sense of it.

edit: It's certainly possible to get off on the wrong foot on these things because of the limitations inherent to a primitive text editor (no, not bees :D). And it's also certainly possible to put that behind and start to get along. And while we've disagreed over things political, that's all it is. You provide some of the diversity that makes this a good place to hang. Don't change that on my account, or anyone else's for that matter. If the opportunity comes along, I'll buy the first jug.

Last edited:
I accept that you feel that way, however I spend a lot of time (and "energy") here, and have as much edge as any (invariably on the OT board) and haven't been banned. I expect I've probably been close a few times, too. If you think someone said something stupid, there are ways to convey such a sentiment without behaving like a jackass. And frankly, that's one of the things I like about this place.

And I also appreciate your point about having some light-hearted fun. Realistically, who goes to a basketball game and only talks basketball for two solid hours with no sideline laughs? Beers, too tight jeans & cleavage, an oblique political reference either RW or LW, "For Chrissake, I had to park at the freaking On Center and walk up!" (yeah, I did once) and the like are all parts of the whole. I'd rather hear a little of that than another "man vs. zone" discussion. :eek:

This all makes me think of a line I was given when doing my B. Ed., "If all my students were just like me, what kind of classroom would my classroom be?"

Or to paraphrase, "If everyone is thinking the same thing, then nobody's thinking".

Go to the Villanova "rivalry" board that someone linked to the other day . Its a disaster.

I think any sort of pay side is laughable. Paying to get info that everyone will know eventually? LOL.

This is an Internet forum.

I think any sort of pay side is laughable. Paying to get info that everyone will know eventually? LOL.

This is an Internet forum.

That's pretty much how every college website has worked for years. People who are really into recruiting will pay for stuff like that. We're very lucky.

That's pretty much how every college website has worked for years. People who are really into recruiting will pay for stuff like that. We're very lucky.

Yeah I know, very strange to me.

Knowing where a 17 year old is committing to school hours before he announces it publicly just seems silly to me. Obviously just my opinion.

Yeah I know, very strange to me.

Knowing where a 17 year old is committing to school hours before he announces it publicly just seems silly to me. Obviously just my opinion.
Clearly, you're not someone who ever snooped for Christmas presents.

In the best possible sense of it.

edit: It's certainly possible to get off on the wrong foot on these things because of the limitations inherent to a primitive text editor (no, not bees :D). And it's also certainly possible to put that behind and start to get along. And while we've disagreed over things political, that's all it is. You provide some of the diversity that makes this a good place to hang. Don't change that on my account, or anyone else's for that matter. If the opportunity comes along, I'll buy the first jug.
i can agree with all that.

Clearly, you're not someone who ever snooped for Christmas presents.

When I was..four? And they were..."free"?

I see your comparison, but find it a bit off base here. Maybe it's just because I don't really follow recruiting much anyway.

When I was..four? And they were..."free"?

I see your comparison, but find it a bit off base here. Maybe it's just because I don't really follow recruiting much anyway.
Mainly, I was just making a joke. I never claimed to be funny.

Well, other than the hundreds of times I've claimed to be funny. But just ignore all of that.

Thank you for your honest, mature, and direct feedback. My sincere apologies if I personally offended you - it was certainly not directed at you alone, and not meant to personally offend. Your post was simply the one I chose among several that I could have responded to. Perhaps my objection to "ignoring" was stated a bit disrespectfully. I just think the world would be a better place it we actually discussed facts and experiences together to arrive at objective truth and the best overall solutions, instead of closing our minds and trying to ignore and destroy one another. Real truth is rarely the result of a biased opinion poll or a stolen popularity contest - the "majority" or the "winners" just feel that it is, or get to say that it is, without knowing what the real truth is.
I agree and was not offended. My real thought was that your post reminded me of how insults escalate after one poster makes a mild comment such as yours. Yours was just the best available example. It's unfortunate. As I said, I like to think we're all friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom