Analysis from the Louisville side | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Analysis from the Louisville side

I'm not really sure how good they are as I didn't see them anywhere close to pre-season rankings. I found a coach's poll where they had 1 vote; basically putting them in the mid 50s ranking. Outside of the injuries and 18 mostly "unforced" penalties, it was a great win. And Cunningham is talented, but they are a middle of the pack team. and might be worse than that.

A bunch comments that I saw were from 'fans' who realized their team isn't as good as they thought and who wanted to fire Satterfield this weekend.

Several comments were basically, 'well, we're about to play some really tough games and if we can't beat Syracuse in the first game, then our season is in really big trouble'.

They're going to get a worse beating at UCF.

Last edited:
Louisville BBall fans might be the most delusional in the world so it wouldn't surprise me if their FB fans are as well.

I don't think their HC is all that good. I think their team some how gets respect despite being pretty bad the last 2 seasons. Combined against P5 schools not named SU they went 5-13 and also lost to Air Force in a Bowl. They are so much closer to bottom of the ACC than mid ACC. Unfortunately we made them look like a good team that last 2 seasons, which was mind boggling.

Louisville BBall fans might be the most delusional in the world so it wouldn't surprise me if their FB fans are as well.

I don't think their HC is all that good. I think their team some how gets respect despite being pretty bad the last 2 seasons. Combined against P5 schools not named SU they went 5-13 and also lost to Air Force in a Bowl. They are so much closer to bottom of the ACC than mid ACC. Unfortunately we made them look like a good team that last 2 seasons, which was mind boggling.

Last year, Shrader got badly injured the game before, standing tall in the pocket and taking a big hit while making the game winning throw for a TD to Alford @ Virginia Tech. He toughed it out, but was inhibited by the rib injury from that point forward.

Also, the roster overall was depleted by injury by early November. We caught them at the wrong time, playing on the road. Might have been different if we'd played them two weeks earlier.

But with an inability to move the ball, and giving up several quick strikes for scores, we couldn't keep up.

They smoked us 3 years in a row with last year being worse than Saturday casual fans should/would expect more of the same.

I think their crazy good recruiting class for next year had the fans overrating this team. I'd still expect them to beat a team like BC if they played tomorrow though and it would be 1 possession game against FSU/NC State/Clemson. The starting RB ahead of Jordan is very good and if the game opens up and the D lets up Cunningham is going to get yards. I don't see an awful D.

Cunningham is overrated but he has wheels and a ton of experience at this level that is a good combo.

Saterfield hasn't really had a good year there outside of the first one when he cleaned up Petrinos mess immediately. Wonder what happens if they implode.

Has there ever been a Louisville football fan on this board? I can't remember seeing one.

My brother in law went to Kentucky. One of the few things that we agree on is that Louisville fans are terrible.

But if I was to put myself in the awful position of being a fan of the Cardinals, I suppose I would be feeling confident about the following:
- Satterfield as the HC. The guy was enormously successful at Appalachian State.
- Recruiting has been getting better and better. As of now, they have 1 5-star and 8 4-stars committed.
- Their record last year was only 6-7 but they were relatively close to winning in 5 of the 7 games.

I could see why, in August, they could be feeling high on their team's chances and that the Syracuse game would not be a challenge.
It was a sugar high, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Agreed. EIGHTEEN freaking penalties -- it was absurd.

And it barely slowed us down. Need to clean that up -- massively -- but there was a lot of positive to take away from Saturday's performance. Both the floor and the ceiling for this team's potential have been raised. If we do what we need to against peer programs, I think this team can find it's way into the top 25. And that's not an overreaction to a blowout win.

Bowl or bust.

I read on the UVA board that those penalties are typical for Anae until the team gets used to his sets. No idea if it's true of not, but they seemed to think it was funny.

Last year, Shrader got badly injured the game before, standing tall in the pocket and taking a big hit while making the game winning throw for a TD to Alford @ Virginia Tech. He toughed it out, but was inhibited by the rib injury from that point forward.

Also, the roster overall was depleted by injury by early November. We caught them at the wrong time, playing on the road. Might have been different if we'd played them two weeks earlier.

But with an inability to move the ball, and giving up several quick strikes for scores, we couldn't keep up.

Also can’t downplay the fact that Mikel Jones got that targeting call early in the 2nd quarter and was disqualified for the game

The only good thing about the penalties is that it didn't ever seem to give them yardage. And so many times, we overcame the yardage it cost us.

No offense! Most college football media types retire by the time they get to their 70s. Unless you're Lee Corso, who can work forever as far as I'm concerned.
Syracuse moves the needle nationally. We put alot of people in the media across the country. The school also has a real IT factor to it and always has.

Not sure if it's the NY bias where people in NYC tend to inflate all things NY but when we're going good people tend to talk about us.

If WE are who Lousville fans think we are? Good luck with the 2 win season. JMU will destroy you. Only win I see is USF. I suppose you luck into another. Or maybe Tony White, and our new coaches have made us better? I'll go with the latter, but by all means, slam away.

I'm not really sure how good they are as I didn't see them anywhere close to pre-season rankings. I found a coach's poll where they had 1 vote; basically putting them in the mid 50s ranking. Outside of the injuries and 18 mostly "unforced" penalties, it was a great win. And Cunningham is talented, but they are a middle of the pack team. and might be worse than that.
CBS had them at 42. Cuse at 89.

Why you play the game.

Am I the only one who didn't notice most of the false starts and thought the flags were too much. I swear one of them was when the OL was going down to get set.

Eh. Maybe the one where Bleich just moved his butt a little bit. But it was a clear hesitation. Not sure which one it was...so many

There was a shift penalty I didn't like where they clearly had 4 in the backfield. I wanted someone to ask Dino about that. The announcers were even seemed confused and just stopped the replay...lol

I think it was 7 total pre-snap and line-up penalties in the first half.

1st Drive- Illegal shift was legit. had 5 in the backfield
2nd - 2 false starts
3rd - False start when Tucker motioned the wrong way
4th - 2 false starts and a snap infraction (Tucker scare drive).
5th - none, end of half drive

2nd half: only 4..so improvement?
1st - False Start where Pena took off
2nd - none
3rd - Illegal shift. Had a triple WR set with what looks like 2 on the line/4 in backfield. Not sure who was in motion tho...
4th - 1 false start
5th - 1 false start

I see Louisville as a 7-5ish team this year. Cunningham had a rough day but he's still a great player. This was a very solid win for us.

We Geno Smithed him. You could tell his head was gone in the second quarter after the goal line stand and he was already pressing prior to which is why he pulled and kept for that 4th down stuff.

He's a talent for sure but hype is a bit over the top due to his last name. He obviously reads his own press clippings and fake online quotes about himself as well.

There were literally TWO in a row where I swear that the line never got set, and got called for it anyway.

It was absurd.

The 2 in a row were right after Tucker got banged up. One was a false start, the other was a snap infraction.

I'm going to look back now.

Shrader said during camp that we'd be more explosive and we are. We expected the defense to be good and they are. My real desire for the season was to be competitive with our peers and if the first game is an indication, we are. Saddle up for a good and fun season. This may be the season we've been waiting for...

I think we'll find Louisville in a bowl game. Cunningham is too crafty for most defenses. He almost got away from us a couple of times. I don't think it was him. He wasn't bad. Our defense is just really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom