And another winning season guaranteed | Syracusefan.com

And another winning season guaranteed

We have had some NIT years, but its remarkable that we always avoid that one really disastrous year for the past 30 years. Bluebloods cannot match that.

Duke had the CoachK back injury / good time to bail on the team year. I think they went 2-14 in 1994.
UNC had the Doherty years.
Kentucky had a few bad years after it was caught cheating in the late 80's
Indiana has had some really bad years in the last 15.
UCLA certainly has had some awful year in this time.

Has Kansas had a year so bad it was not even NIT level in the last 30 years?

Marsh, when I saw your post I remembered one of the years we didn't make the tournament. I believe we only had 18 wins altogether and Pitt was involved somehow. Maybe they beat us our last game of the season. I happened to be at the pharmacy with Boeheim. It happens. There were several of us and all of us were talking about, "Would we make the tournament?" (This must have been in the nineties.) Boeheim said we deserved to be in, of course. But just think about the difference between this team and that long ago team. Wow.

Maybe they beat us our last game of the season. I happened to be at the pharmacy with Boeheim. It happens.

Beadle, it was all your fault! If JB was on the bench coaching instead of hanging at the pharmacy with you getting hopped up on whatever, we probably would have won and made the tournament!! And then acting nonchalant about it? Tsk tsk!

We have had some NIT years, but its remarkable that we always avoid that one really disastrous year for the past 30 years. Bluebloods cannot match that.

Duke had the CoachK back injury / good time to bail on the team year. I think they went 2-14 in 1994.

KU's last losing season was 1982-83. The only year they've failed to crack 20 wins since then was a 19 win the season after they won the 1988 title. I believe they were on probabtion that year.

Beadle, it was all your fault! If JB was on the bench coaching instead of hanging at the pharmacy with you getting hopped up on whatever, we probably would have won and made the tournament!! And then acting nonchalant about it? Tsk tsk!

It was after the game! After! Oh my god, I didn't do it (sob)! I'm innocent (convulsive sob)! It's over for me now with this board.

I dreamed a dream of days gone by...(tears cascading upon the post below this)

The University took a great chance appointing him coach at such a young age.
But it made every sense in the world at the time.

When the time comes for him to move on, part of me will die. He is the longest active link in sports to my childhood, at least a link that means anything.

And our NIT years were all when the tournament "only" had 64 teams. Granted I preferred this, but I think if it had always had 68, we may have made the tourney every year.

The machine that is James Arthur Boeheim keeps plowing straight ahead.

field-of-dreams.jpg

"Marsh, people will come, Marsh. They'll come to The Dome for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up East Adams St not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at The Dome as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a winter afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Marsh. The one constant through all the years, Marsh, has been Boeheim. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But Boeheim has marked the time. This court, this game: it's a part of our past, Marsh. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Marsh. People will most definitely come."

The University took a great chance appointing him coach at such a young age.
Actually they're using government accounting principles and giving him credit for "future year's coached"

But it made every sense in the world at the time.

When the time comes for him to move on, part of me will die. He is the longest active link in sports to my childhood, at least a link that means anything.
Think that's bad? I was an adult when he coached his first game. I saw Danforth coach. I remember Fred Lewis.

30 is the new 20

No doubt - 30 wins means you had an elite year. With the longer seasons these days, you can win 20 games and still go to the NIT.

Think that's bad? I was an adult when he coached his first game. I saw Danforth coach. I remember Fred Lewis.

My Dad took me to games at Manley when JAB ran with Bing. Rick Dean. Vaughn Harper and the Orange Lid. "Cornwall's a cornball!" Hicker from the corner - goooooood! The unique smell of the dirt. Calvin Murphy torching us for 68. Those were the days.

My Dad took me to games at Manley when JAB ran with Bing. Rick Dean. Vaughn Harper and the Orange Lid. "Cornwall's a cornball!" Hicker from the corner - goooooood! The unique smell of the dirt. Calvin Murphy torching us for 68. Those were the days.

Actually these are the days. But those were days, too.

And the years rush by with what seems like ever shorter intervals. It's funny how a phrase, a sound, or a smell can breathe new life into the echos of our memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom