And here we go | Syracusefan.com

And here we go

What. Although, I can't see anything coming from it considering the NCAA was doing similar things on their website not long ago. I'd love for them to lose the O'Bannon lawsuit.

Putting aside the stupidity of saying explicitly what you're supposed to say implicitly, it's moments like this that make it hard to justify college sports. Here's a whole slew of people making money off a 19-year old kid, who of course isn't allowed to make money off himself, and they'd get away with it if they just did it with a wink-and-a-nod rather than a giant honking bit of incompetence.

(Disclaimer: I don't have a solution, I'm not sure there is a solution, and yes, I agree education is the most important thing in the world. But still.)

Come on, they have to do better than that.

image.jpg

Putting aside the stupidity of saying explicitly what you're supposed to say implicitly, it's moments like this that make it hard to justify college sports. Here's a whole slew of people making money off a 19-year old kid, who of course isn't allowed to make money off himself, and they'd get away with it if they just did it with a wink-and-a-nod rather than a giant honking bit of incompetence.

(Disclaimer: I don't have a solution, I'm not sure there is a solution, and yes, I agree education is the most important thing in the world. But still.)

You think Tyler Ennis could buy the exposure he is getting playing here?

There is no kind of freedom and liberty other than the kind which the market economy brings about. - Mises

The ultimate and only solution is a free market solution. Anything short of that is a denial of the freedom and liberty owed to the players, no matter how well-intentioned.

I will say it again... Social media has circumvented the function of editors. It is the wild west. Anyone can tweet anything they want. It is inexcusable that Syracuse does not have a responsible editor looking at "official" tweets from SU. In addition to the instances mentioned above, I remember an even worse one three years ago. Some "official" SU twitter account picked up the totally baseless "report" about Scoop Jardine shaving points... and actually sent out a tweet on it. I would think they would have learned from that.

I will say it again... Social media has circumvented the function of editors. It is the wild west. Anyone can tweet anything they want. It is inexcusable that Syracuse does not have a responsible editor looking at "official" tweets from SU. In addition to the instances mentioned above, I remember an even worse one three years ago. Some "official" SU twitter account picked up the totally baseless "report" about Scoop Jardine shaving points... and actually sent out a tweet on it. I would think they would have learned from that.

It's my understanding the marketing dept has lots of interns and one of the tasks is managing social media. Why they wouldn't hire a full-time professional SM/Community Manager is beyond me. It's pretty clear they don't have a New Media/Digital strategy that runs to one person.

You think Tyler Ennis could buy the exposure he is getting playing here?

I have a lot of very complicated and mixed thoughts on college sports. I think it's wonderful and deeply exploitative at the same time. I think it does a lot of good and a lot of bad. I haven't been able to square those opinions in my own head and I can't imagine I can convince anyone else to. So that's the framework I see this in. This is the bad side, but pointing to it doesn't necessarily mean it's all bad.

But Tyler Ennis cannot sell his autograph, he cannot sell a #11 jersey, he cannot appear in a commercial. No one else can sell an "Ennis" jersey either, but all they have to do to circumvent the rule is pretend not to realize that the #11 jersey is for Tyler Ennis. And when the facade slips, as it did here, everyone gets upset not at the exploitation but that someone slipped up and admitted it.

#sutwitterassclownposse

Oh Lord

This is beyond embarrassing at this point. BEYOND! Who needs to answer for this BS?

EDIT: I can't believe I wasted my 5,000th post on this topic, but that's how angry this makes me.

This Twitter account ***s up constantly. When will SU actually do something about it?

There is no kind of freedom and liberty other than the kind which the market economy brings about. - Mises

The ultimate and only solution is a free market solution. Anything short of that is a denial of the freedom and liberty owed to the players, no matter how well-intentioned.

I understand this is mostly first principles stuff, but it's not at all clear to me what a free market would actually mean in this context. Do students have to go to class? Can players play forever? Can Lebron James return to school for the right price? Would teams have to be attached to a school at all? If so, why? Are the teams allowed to play against NBA teams? Why aren't they just NBA teams?

#sutwitterassclownposse

Oh Lord

This is beyond embarrassing at this point. BEYOND! Who needs to answer for this BS?

EDIT: I can't believe I wasted my 5,000th post on this topic, but that's how angry this makes me.

My guess is whatever student who did this as part of his/her work study program.

:bat:

They should just shut down the Twitter account. Oy vey.

I remember an even worse one last year. Something about JB being "forced out" at the end of the week. :rolleyes:

OK so lets get to brass tacks.

This is an NCAA violation, of course. How serious is it, what kind of penalties could it garner? What are we looking at?