And so it begings...one whisper leads to several more in time | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

And so it begings...one whisper leads to several more in time

I agree that most of the southern schools will want the four northern schools to play each other but it would be a major error. Your solution is easier up front but we will all suffer problems later because the football power is concentrated in the south.

Each northern school should get a southern school to keep as little N/S and BE/ACC analogy from creeping in as well as additional exposure for southern kids. The four northern most and four southern most teams should have one permanent opponent in the opposing region. The six in the middle can mix it up amongst themselves however they like. This also allows FSU to keep Miami and either Clemson or GATech on as permanent opponents while still playing the other 2 of 4 years.

Keeping all things super regional will only work to keep the ACC fractionalized with the Carolina four plus UVA retaining too much power/influence. Keeping the northern schhols aligned with the southern schools keeps football the primary focus of the conference. It also makes recruiting in the south much easierfor football and in the north for hoops. Both sports benefit.

If they want to mix in the central teams the keep it 1 northern team, 1 central team and 1 southern team as permanent opponents.

No answer is perfect but keeping it all close to home will essentially keep the northern schools down as far as competiting for championships. The SOS would be forever skewed down as well as perception and recruiting will be more difficult. We would play in FL twice in four years, GA and SC once each in four years.

I agree with you IF the set up was in some kind of pods. If we had a pod called "Northeast" then I think there is an issue as you said. At one time I supported that kind of setup, but I think going away from podding it up that way sidesteps that perfectly.

In this circumstance we are describing, there is no artificial division like that...just mandated opponents. Believe me, nobody outside the ACC and half the fans inside the ACC are going to have no idea who Syracuse's set rivals are. Plus, the rotation of the other schools through the conference will be so much faster it's going to be almost unnoticeable. There will be no "big east" perception. Syracuse would have FSU, Miami, GT or Clemson on the schedule almost every year anyway.

But to artificially "mix it up" regionally without regard to traditional opponents, proximity and rivalry...we've tried it. It's no good and has done nothing for any program in the North or South. I absolutely disagree that keeping it close to home is going to hurt Syracuse or other northern teams from competing for championships. Syracuse will have a MUCH better chance much sooner to be in an ACC championship race in this scenario in a year where they draw maybe Clemson OR Florida state (or neither) than being stuck in a division where they have to crawl over both of those two every single year.

I agree with you IF the set up was in some kind of pods. If we had a pod called "Northeast" then I think there is an issue as you said. At one time I supported that kind of setup, but I think going away from podding it up that way sidesteps that perfectly.

In this circumstance we are describing, there is no artificial division like that...just mandated opponents. Believe me, nobody outside the ACC and half the fans inside the ACC are going to have no idea who Syracuse's set rivals are. Plus, the rotation of the other schools through the conference will be so much faster it's going to be almost unnoticeable. There will be no "big east" perception. Syracuse would have FSU, Miami, GT or Clemson on the schedule almost every year anyway.

But to artificially "mix it up" regionally without regard to traditional opponents, proximity and rivalry...we've tried it. It's no good and has done nothing for any program in the North or South. I absolutely disagree that keeping it close to home is going to hurt Syracuse or other northern teams from competing for championships. Syracuse will have a MUCH better chance much sooner to be in an ACC championship race in this scenario in a year where they draw maybe Clemson OR Florida state (or neither) than being stuck in a division where they have to crawl over both of those two every single year.
Lou,

The perception right now is that the northern teams suck. Pick one of the four northern teams that most are placing together and if they were competing for the ACC title, they would be disfavored for having played the other three northern teams. This is more of an issue if the team is under consideration for the playoffs.

If you think that BC would not be disparaged even assuming they beat Miami for the ACC title due to lack SOS then you are not thinking like a playoff committee member. You will not change the bias against northeastern football overnight. You "concede" it will be easier for Syracuse to compete for an ACC title because of your own bias.

For the record, some biases are earned and Northeastern football has underplayed the last 15-20 years. It will take several years to destroy that bias just like sports writers crowning the SEC annually before CFB starts.

Three permanent opponents is better, keep eight games + ND.

BC: Syracuse, Miami, Virginia

Syracuse: Boston College, Louisville, Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh: Louisville, Miami, Syracuse

Louisville: Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia Tech

Virginia: Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Boston College

Virginia Tech: Virginia, Wake Forest, Louisville

Miami: Florida State, Pitt, Boston College

Florida State: Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson

Clemson: Georgia Tech, NC State, Florida State

Georgia Tech: Clemson, Florida State, Duke

Duke: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech

North Carolina: Duke, Virginia, NC State

NC State: Wake Forest, Clemson, North Carolina

Wake: NC State, Duke, Virginia Tech
Lou, this is even better. You have to keep VPI-Miami

North Carolina- Duke, Virginia, NC State
Virginia- North Carolina, VPI, Syracuse
Duke- North Carolina, Wake, Ga. Tech
NC State- North Carolina, Wake, Clemson
Clemson- Ga. Tech, NC State, Florida State
Florida State- Miami, Clemson, Ga. Tech
Wake Forest- NC State, Duke, Louisville
Miami- Virginia Tech, Florida State, Boston College
Boston College- Syracuse, Miami, Pitt
Pittsburgh- Syracuse, Louisville, Boston College
Virginia Tech- Virginia, Louisville, Miami
Louisville- Pitt, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Syracuse- Boston College, Pitt, Virginia
Georgia Tech- Clemson, Florida State, Duke

Numerically you are correct but Virginia and North Carolina are not prime recruiting grounds for Syracuse. GA and FL are prime recruiting grounds. The more games in those areas and against those teams means better exposure.

To your point, playing USF annually did not help much. If we assume it is because USF doesn't have the same cache as Miami and FSU, the same applies the N. Carolina and VA schools.

We simply disagree on the value of playing the VA and NC teams. I want as high a percentage of games against the four southernmost teams we can get.

We've been doing well in Georgia (I guess) because we have a coach(s) with ties there, no? When that coach leaves, then what? Building a long-term schedule rotation based on some assistant who is sure to bail in a couple years seems preposterous. Syracuse is a significant brand name in VA and NC with a large alumni and relocated CNY presence. The only reason we don't pull a lot of recruits from there is because we haven't focused on it. Hire a coach with ties to that region and we will. It's not like there's anything inherent about SU recruiting well in Georgia.

It doesn't even matter, the only team among the 4 most-southern that might entertain playing us annually is Miami. There is no way the ACC forces us on any of the other 3 if they don't want it.

Lou, this is even better. You have to keep VPI-Miami

North Carolina- Duke, Virginia, NC State
Virginia- North Carolina, VPI, Syracuse
Duke- North Carolina, Wake, Ga. Tech
NC State- North Carolina, Wake, Clemson
Clemson- Ga. Tech, NC State, Florida State
Florida State- Miami, Clemson, Ga. Tech
Wake Forest- NC State, Duke, Louisville
Miami- Virginia Tech, Florida State, Boston College
Boston College- Syracuse, Miami, Pitt
Pittsburgh- Syracuse, Louisville, Boston College
Virginia Tech- Virginia, Louisville, Miami
Louisville- Pitt, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest
Syracuse- Boston College, Pitt, Virginia
Georgia Tech- Clemson, Florida State, Duke

id go with this and think it has all must have rivalry games kept:

BC: Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Miami, Wake Forest
Pittsburgh: Louisville, Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Syracuse: Boston College, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Miami
Louisville: Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Florida State/ Clemson
Florida State: Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville/Virginia
Miami: Florida State, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse
Virginia: Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Clemson/Florida State
Virginia Tech: Virginia, Miami, Louisville, Pittsburgh
Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State, Florida State, Virginia/Louisville
Georgia Tech: Clemson, Florida State, Duke, North Carolina
Duke: North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, NC State
North Carolina: Duke, Virginia, NC State, Georgia Tech
NC State: Wake Forest, Clemson, North Carolina, Duke
Wake Forest: NC State, Duke, Virginia, Boston College

If only 3 rivals take the last opponent off each team

Whatever system they come up with SU and BC have to be an annual game. I know we all want a big time rival, and BC has never really been that, but they are the most natural team that could become a rival. We just have too much in common. Beyond that, I personally prefer Miami to FSU. Keeping Pitt too would be nice, but that might be asking too much.

bc and pit are musts, the last 1 or 2 perm rivals could be any of these teams and I am fine: Virginia, va tech, maimi, louisville

I don't get the desire to play Louisville. Other than the last few years in the NNBE, there is little history between the schools.

UVA, Miami, and, heck, any other school seems more appealing to me.

when i have trouble understanding something, i find it helpful to paraphrase and get corrected

things are happening. some people are whispering about things that are happening. sometimes a whisper is a shout. other times it's a whisper. shouts can be whispers. shouts can be loud. these are all good things. also , read between the lines. SYRACUSE. also ninjas

I agree that much of this is "sound and fury, signifying nothing" (or at least, very little).

This is a good place to start for the bare facts:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/67214/acc-vs-sec-another-scheduling-idea

Been difficult to keep somethings so STEALTH that the pay side reacts slowly to the news:
ACC forwards a request to the NCAA for choosing Championship Game Teams:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/...send-legislation-to-ncaa-regarding-title-game

This is important because the request is built on different size divisions...not = 7 team divisions...this will begin some changes that most will applaud and also is augering well for some changes in the ACC...

The ACC Winter Meetings were not as quiet as most believe...there were some ninja type things that moved the ACC Conference forward and included:
  • ACCNetwork
  • Tournament sights
  • divisions and teams and crossover...oh my
  • revenue splits for bowl teams and NCAA bball teams greater share of revenue
More to come out in shouts soon...stay tuned and read between the lines...
All good for 'Cuse!

Sometimes Silence is really a shout...

It's Good to be 'Cuse!!..The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Here's David Teel's take. He doesn't think that the divisions and crossovers will change. The parity is more important than other considerations, and the 9 year record between the Coastal and Atlantic shows parity.

He does think that there is some support for going to 9 Conference Games. He talks about how 2 divisions of 7 teams playing 8 games with one crossover creates few matchups between divisions. 9 games would help that rotation. I personally would like to get to 16 with 4 PODS, but that's a discussion for another day.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/te...cc-football-schedule-divisions,0,7756659.post