...and the Drums for NYC's Madison Square Garden continue To Beat | Syracusefan.com

...and the Drums for NYC's Madison Square Garden continue To Beat

arbitragegls

All Conference
...from the whispers we hear and the plodding that is taking place...the finality-one way or other--is approaching much faster than some think. Here is another brief but pointed video and comment on the subject...in fact, The ACC is even considering dropping its Sunday finale in order to make this all happen...so keep those balls bouncing 'cause the answer my friends is howling through the wind:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-tournament-msg,0,7770513.story

I predict (like Brey alluded too) some rotation between NYC and Greensboro. I'd like a 2 year run at MSG to follow with a 2 year run at Greensboro. Do that rotation for 8 years and see what develops. I'd love to go NYC full time...but I'm not sure the NC core will go for that.

The ACC needs to keep the B1G out of NYC for Hoops.

I predict (like Brey alluded too) some rotation between NYC and Greensboro. I'd like a 2 year run at MSG to follow with a 2 year run at Greensboro. Do that rotation for 8 years and see what develops. I'd love to go NYC full time...but I'm not sure the NC core will go for that.

The ACC needs to keep the B1G out of NYC for Hoops.
F Greensboro.

"Plodding" or "plotting"?

Virginia Tech, Florida St, North Carolina St, Duke, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Boston College, Miami, probably, Clemson, and Georgia Tech would all vote to move. The reason I added Duke is, Coach K knows where the championship needs to be played for the league to have a chance to be considered the Greatest of all time. ESPN pays the bills, and they want it there. The other thing is MSG might not be happy with the games being on FOX, so that might be an out from the contract.

Virginia Tech, Florida St, North Carolina St, Duke, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Boston College, Miami, probably, Clemson, and Georgia Tech would all vote to move. The reason I added Duke is, Coach K knows where the championship needs to be played for the league to have a chance to be considered the Greatest of all time. ESPN pays the bills, and they want it there. The other thing is MSG might not be happy with the games being on FOX, so that might be an out from the contract.
K expressed a "trial balloon" idea the other day...suggesting that the ACC might give MSG a shot for a year.
This "try it, you'll like it" concept makes sense.
People would love playing the tourney and making the trip to NYC.
You'd still have some traditional southern opposition.
But I think the New York experience would generate a lot of enthusiasm to keep it going.

I have a couple questions if you were running MSG?

1. If the Big East draws well in its first couple years and did well financially, are you so eager to kick them out for an every 2 year contract with the ACC? Financially does it make sense?

2. If the Big East gives MSG a reason to kick them out and the ACC offers to play there every 2 years, would uou accept that or would you offer the Big 10 an every year deal? I don't think the Big 10 has a permanent location and it would allow them to lock down the NYC area.

1. If the Big East draws well in its first couple years and did well financially, are you so eager to kick them out for an every 2 year contract with the ACC? Financially does it make sense?

2. If the Big East gives MSG a reason to kick them out and the ACC offers to play there every 2 years, would uou accept that or would you offer the Big 10 an every year deal? I don't think the Big 10 has a permanent location and it would allow them to lock down the NYC area.

1. I predict the nBE will not fill MSG...they might have technical sellouts but I expect some years to be embarrassing weak in actual attendance.

2. I don't see the B1G leaving behind the Midwest entirely. I'd rather share MSG with the nBE...but possible MSG gets ACC/B1G.

"Plodding" or "plotting"?

well actually could be both...plodding because it has been moving slower than most want..and plotting because it is going to take some twists and turns to get done...either way, answer will be here soon.

I'll be surprised if the ACCT makes it to MSG more than once per 5 years.

Hope I'm wrong...

1. I predict the nBE will not fill MSG...they might have technical sellouts but I expect some years to be embarrassing weak in actual attendance.

2. I don't see the B1G leaving behind the Midwest entirely. I'd rather share MSG with the nBE...but possible MSG gets ACC/B1G.[/quote

1. Which league would u rather have in ur building?
2. Hopefully the acc learns from the BE rotating tourney... Making MSG full time host blew the tourney up

It read to me like Louisville leaving the conference is another possible out for MSG. When the deal was made, Louisville was part of whatever conference they thought they were getting for this tourney at MSG.

K expressed a "trial balloon" idea the other day...suggesting that the ACC might give MSG a shot for a year.
This "try it, you'll like it" concept makes sense.
People would love playing the tourney and making the trip to NYC.
You'd still have some traditional southern opposition.
But I think the New York experience would generate a lot of enthusiasm to keep it going.

Agreed, but that may not be possible. I'm sure MSG would do back flips to get this ACC tournament, but only getting it one out 4 years or 2 out 4 is probably not appealing at all. They would need to find tenants for those off years, tenants who probably wouldn't sell as much merch/food/drink (because they probably wouldn't pack all sessions, like the epic Providence-Creighton games). I feel like MSG will press the ACC for a longer term deal. If there is a "trail" I'd expect it to be 3 years minimum. MSG doesn't want to have to keep selling and have all the uncertainty about tenants.

Who would MSG want in their building? If I ran it, I would want the conference that commits to me long term. They already have a conference on board for the next 10 years or so, I don't know if I would trade that for an every other year deal with another conference. They would have to generate double the revenue when the ACC comes to town which I don't see. If they get a conference to come in on the every other years than it could work but who are they going to get? If the Big East gets booted, I could see them moving to Barclays full time and i could even see St Johns switching to Barclays if the Big East/MSG relationship sours.
I doubt the Big 10 and ACC would share a venue on a rotating basis which keeps me coming back to the same conclusion of a full time tenant is the Best for MSG.

Agreed, but that may not be possible. I'm sure MSG would do back flips to get this ACC tournament, but only getting it one out 4 years or 2 out 4 is probably not appealing at all. They would need to find tenants for those off years, tenants who probably wouldn't sell as much merch/food/drink (because they probably wouldn't pack all sessions, like the epic Providence-Creighton games). I feel like MSG will press the ACC for a longer term deal. If there is a "trail" I'd expect it to be 3 years minimum. MSG doesn't want to have to keep selling and have all the uncertainty about tenants.

The ACC holds some cards too: They are the hottest chick in basketball and MSG knows it.

It depends. The Big East is presently five eastern schools and five midwestern schools. And the top candidates should they expand again appear to be two more midwestern schools.

It might be in their best interests to alternate MSG with a midwestern site (let's say Chicago or Milwaukee), just as it might be in the ACC's interest to begin by alternating MSG with Greensboro for a period of time as well.

This way MSG gets an annual tourney alternating between the two conferences for a 10 year period between 15-16 and 24-25.

Cheers,
Neil

I believe MSG would dump the nBE for the ACC in a heartbeat IF they can get the right commitment. The BET attendance for the nBE will only be good in a year that St. John's is very good.Otherwise the place will be half empty for most games. Maybe not the first year but thereafter. Those schools do not have large enough fan bases to fill the building consistently. In all my years going to the BET, I've never seen more than a few hundred fans each year from Nova and GTown. The midwest schools, good luck. If a deal could be worked out that rotates the ACC 2 of every 3 years with the nBE, maybe that would work for all. In the two off years for the nBE could go to Philly and DC. The 2 of 3 satisfies the Greensboro crowd while allowing the ACC to annex NYC. And it's imperative to keep the B1G out of MSG. Barclays is a nice arena but it will always be 2nd in prestige and media coverage to MSG. One is Brooklyn the other is Broadway.
ACCT Schedule:
2014-Greensboro
2015-Greensboro
2016-MSG
2017-MSG
2018-Greensboro
2019-MSG
2020-MSG
That's a nice 4-3 MSG/Greenboro ratio the next 7 years. OK somebody send this to Dolan.

The new ACC is going to be the BEST COLLEGE BASKETBALL CONFERENCE on the planet. It's a no brainer. It's going to be like the game of Clue. When all the dust settles it will be "The ACC in The Garden with The Long Term Commitment.

It's all about money, tv coverage, demographics, and regional fanbases. IMHO that all adds up to the ACC tourney inevitably ending up in MSG.

On another note: As much as I despise both programs, imagine the ACC if it were to jettison two of the perennial bottom league bottom feeders and add Uconn and Georgetown.

On another note: As much as I despise both programs, imagine the ACC if it were to jettison two of the perennial bottom league bottom feeders and add Uconn and Georgetown.

I wonder if a hybrid conference would work in the east?

Nope, everybody must play big boy basketball and football.

Has anybody heard a rational, compelling reason why the ACC wouldn't want to move their conference tournament to MSG?

It seems like so obvious a decision that only hidebound ACC traditionalists would even consider opposing the move. Is this merely my Northern sensibilities, or is there any good argument why not to move to MSG?

Devils Advocates, have at it.

Saturday night final Butler - Creighton or Marquette - Xavier will go over big for ratings.

Has anybody heard a rational, compelling reason why the ACC wouldn't want to move their conference tournament to MSG?

It seems like so obvious a decision that only hidebound ACC traditionalists would even consider opposing the move. Is this merely my Northern sensibilities, or is there any good argument why not to move to MSG?

Devils Advocates, have at it.

Bojangles

What about a deal where MSG would lock up either the first and second round or the regionals of the NCAA tourney in the years the ACCT played in NC ?

If they could secure some deal like that, it might make an alternating tourney more palatable.

SUOrange44